• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that? I like Ten C jackets or at least the ones that were offered in that OJJ fabric a few years ago. I have seen much from the brand recently, except for the collaboration jacket with Sacai.

The Ten C thread has been real-deathed and I haven't seen any conversation anywhere about them since 2016-17.

I got into them last year and was excited to hop on the hype train, but the station was empty.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
who cares if the brand is not popular on SF? There are lots of great brands and products in the real world that are not discussed or popular on SF and I like it that way.

Conversely, there are a lot of crappy brands and products that are beloved here without critical assessment.

So if you like Ten C, go for it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who cares if the brand is not popular on SF? There are lots of great brands and products in the real world that are not discussed or popular on SF and I like it that way.

Conversely, there are a lot of crappy brands and products that are beloved here without critical assessment.

So if you like Ten C, go for it.

I'm not looking for affirmation as much as just shared interest. Admittedly, they're kind of a one-trick pony, and their attempt to diversify doesn't really change that.

Also affirmation.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did it become acceptable for brands to label synthetic plastic materials as “vegan leather”?

It feels like a laughable attempt at virtue signaling, but maybe people actually care?
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

I get it though…plastic “leather” isn’t better for the environment or animals. It’s 100% “Vegwashing”

MythReindeer

Reaction score
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

I get it though…plastic “leather” isn’t better for the environment or animals. It’s 100% “Vegwashing”
Yea, the most charitable interpretation is “saying it kinda looks or feels like leather.” But I suspect the goal is more “you don’t need to think about the fact you’re wearing petroleum products.”

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When did it become acceptable for brands to label synthetic plastic materials as “vegan leather”?

It feels like a laughable attempt at virtue signaling, but maybe people actually care?

For a time, I wore vegan leather. Material has been marketed that way for more than 30 years. My impression is that it's not aimed at environmentalists, but people who care about animal welfare.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question.

I think that has replaced “faux” over time. Faux sounds negative when that’s just not usually the goal of the designer (to fake something).

We ran a faux suede shacket from Tony last season and it’s a fabric that really looks like suede but isn’t. We didn’t really think twice about calling it vegan suede - it seemed obvious as that’s now the consecrated term. I don’t think just calling polyester shirt jacket would have conveyed what makes the fabric special. Faux suede could have worked but, again it has a negative nuance to it

clearly we do not position ourselves as a vegan store and sell a lot of animal products (great shearlings this season!) but I see how that term stuck to describe synthetic leathers.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what group is larger - people who seek out vegan "leather" or people who refuse to buy anything with "vegan" in the label.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what group is larger - people who seek out vegan "leather" or people who refuse to buy anything with "vegan" in the label.
Definitely the group that doesn’t care much whether the word is used or not. Those other two groups are both marginal IMO

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

People who refuse to buy vegan products are too busy typing furious tirades about cancel culture on some boomer facebook group called patriot prayer to take five minutes of their busy schedules to buy a jacket. Anyway their excess money goes to getting energy supplement of dubious value from some guy who was too unhinged for Fox news and had to start his own web radio show.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Used to call it pleather in my days.

IME from clothing to furniture the faux leather always ends up cracking and breaking. Whereas real leather stays in tact for most part, I’m sure there are cases where leather cracks as well.

Either way, I don’t mind “vegan” leather as a term for something not made from leather but looking like it, as long as it’s marked obviously so I’m not scammed.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to use of faux rather than vegan leather.

In another life I supplied a high-end brand and they requested "vegan leather" patches. They weren't a vegan or sustainable brand. It was purely greenwashing. This brand has been nominated for a LVMH prize. They also incurred huge debts to my company at the time and used us to finance their business. Great people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads