• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was being extremely good for almost all of quarantine, buying a handful of things in the start then chilling for a long time but this last month I just ******* lost. I have savings but knowing that I was close to going back to work made me jump at so many things.

Luckily everything except one shirt, I deliberated for months. That shirt ended up not fitting me due to all the working out I've done in quarantine so it went to my wife.

Trickers Bourtons from the sample sale
Ravello LHS that had been sitting around for months on reddit GYW BST
Rios of Mercedes nile croc boots
Role Club boots invoice that had come due
Nicholas Daley wool/mohair pants and cardigan
Kapital Tie dye western shirt

That was just this last month. Absolutely atrocious. But I ******* love it all.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly this year I bought boots (carefully at low prices):
- 2 pairs of nice lined winter boots (I was fed up with my boat-like Sorels): 1 pair of Rancourt Freeman in black: and 1 pair of Moma distressed brown boots;
- 1 pair of Fiorentini + Baker black boots (sort of Carpe Diem Jr.);
- 1 pair of Dries snuff suede chukkas;
- 1 pair of sunflower yellow Wallabees (why not?).

Apart from that, just some linen shirts and a Plato suit from Rosen; a couple of interesting tops from CdG and Yohji; and an overdyed loose-knit sweater from Avant Toi. I guess I was thinking about adding a bit more sophistication to a wardrobe that had become overly workwear.

At the same time, I've got rid of a lot of stuff, mainly more generic Classic Menswear shirts and suits and jackets but also some EG, ts(s), OrSlow, Kapital etc. things which I know other people would be happy to have and make more use of than me. I still have quite enough of each, but just the things I actually want to wear.

Last edited:

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
Great topic for folks to jump in on, I looked at my purchase list to start 2020 and I bought more pieces but am currently under the budget for the year and I consider that a win.

- My best value purchases were my Needles track pants and Needles x Troentorp clogs. I reach for them almost everyday, they're easy to wear and can fit into a wide variety of outfits
- I still purchased from Kapital this year, one piece was the drunk stripe jacket and the other was a pair of side zip boots that were still new in the box
- Most expensive things I purchased is a tie between my Needles star cardigan and my Wesco Engineer boots
- I'm pleasantly surprised that I purchased the most from Needles this year. I always wanted to own some pieces from the brand and I think the current WFH situation encouraged me to explore their universe
- By that token, my overall style hasn't changed much. I appreciate Japanese Americana and know what my core wardrobe looks like
- I'm riding and spending more money on my motorcycle and that's encouraged an adoption of a uniform which has curbed my spending on clothes

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know the two brands I kept coming back to this year even through quarantine was Story MFG and Nicholas Daley. I feel like a lot of it has to do with the same kind of happy vibes and comfy feels it gives me when I wear it. We all need some comfort and whimsy in these times.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I limit my clothing purchases to two brands, but still managed to do a little damage with the spring and now fall seasons.

Otherwise, paid the balance for my White Kloud boots back in October (thankfully made a larger deposit when ordered) and just ordered another pair of Whites. I'm basically done for the year at this point. Also managed to sell off the last bit of clothing/items that no longer fits in with my wardrobe or current style direction.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random Fashion Question: does anyone here use nate? (The app)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a good experience with a non-shawl neck cardigan warm enough to wear alone with just a tee?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good experience with a non-shawl neck cardigan warm enough to wear alone with just a tee?

I have this one from Universal Works that's pretty warm:

image_0efb8e86-c79d-4c93-8fa2-299db7f57e2e_1280x1280.jpg

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I limit my clothing purchases to two brands, but still managed to do a little damage with the spring and now fall seasons.

Otherwise, paid the balance for my White Kloud boots back in October (thankfully made a larger deposit when ordered) and just ordered another pair of Whites. I'm basically done for the year at this point. Also managed to sell off the last bit of clothing/items that no longer fits in with my wardrobe or current style direction.

Styleforum Member: “ Yeah theres just about 31 days left this year, think I’m all set for purchases.”

blacklight

Reaction score
Realized for all my browsing the piece I wear most religiously is a plain white stand collar shirt from Muji, and so have gotten rid of mostly everything that does not put me in a similar headspace. I'm now down to ~30 pieces inclusive of shoes. Between meditation, my dance practice, and always being on the go I'm pretty fixed on airiness and cleanliness in what little I am actually buying, which is to say I am on track to be brand ambassador at Goop by the end of 2021.
  • 90s Amiparis Japan frames from Front General
  • a bit of +J/UU/Lemaire
  • actually wearing the **** I buy
Music taste has been pretty reflective of this; i've been listening exclusively to amapiano, jazz, and deep house. Also pissed at Nate Robinson.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads