• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, you seem to have misused the term troll, fwiw. Trolls try to illicit reactions from others. If someone gets enraged on the internet, the proper term is probably not "troll".

You trollin'.

If Adam Levine and John Mayer had a love child it would be... just ok.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-american here. When I first heard of John Mayer (and it was in a clothes context rather than music) I googled his name, which takes approximately the same time/effort than posting in SF “who the **** is John Mayer”. Actually less, because putting “who the **** is” is optional in google.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone got any backpack recommendations with a lot of easy to get to pockets for under $200? This Lululemon one is damn near perfect but the top zipper sucks ass and will break in a month or two. I'm kitted up like a highschool student in the 90s and need places to put my ****.

LM9692S_0001_1.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone got any backpack recommendations with a lot of easy to get to pockets for under $200? This Lululemon one is damn near perfect but the top zipper sucks ass and will break in a month or two. I'm kitted up like a highschool student in the 90s and need places to put my ****.

View attachment 1109155

Search for "3D military bag" on eBay. There are a bunch available for like $20. I don't have any experience with them, but @Rais does.

You can also search for "alice pack." I think some of those have frames, so look carefully. Youtube has a ton of alice pack reviews

1000.jpg

large-alice-compressor_2.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know who Mayer is, and find it rather provocative that knowing american celebrities is basically described as a duty by @LA Guy, with reference to the disproportionate, unilateral influence of american culture in the world.
I would say that it is probably dangerously naive to disregard American pop culture, given the breadth and depth of its influence on the rest of the world, yes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say that it is probably dangerously naive to disregard American pop culture, given the breadth and depth of its influence on the rest of the world, yes.

I think it's OK to not pay attention to pop culture.

I may have been too sensitive, but I kind of took the earlier comments ("who the **** is John Mayer" and "I didn't even bother to look up John Mayer") to be one of those instances where someone is saying how they're better than other people cause they don't know some popular thing. It's like when you're at a party and people start talking about a TV show. There's always some guy who loves to say "Don't know it, don't have a TV. That stuff rots your brain."

I may be totally off base though with regard to the earlier comments.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I may have been too sensitive, but I kind of took the two earlier comments ("who the **** is John Mayer" and "I didn't even bother to look up John Mayer") to be one of those instances where someone is saying how they're better than other people cause they don't know some popular thing. It's like when you're at a party and people start talking about a TV show. There's always some guy who loves to say "Don't know it, don't have a TV. That stuff rots your brain."

It's OK to not know something and even ask for an explanation. But sometimes guys aren't really saying they're uninterested in pop culture, they're saying they're better than other people.

I may be totally off base though with regard to the earlier comments. It just reminded me of my Twitter feed, which is half normal people and half nerds. Any time some big sports event happens, a portion of the nerds llooooveeeee nothing more than to say how they're NOT watching the game. It's kind of funny, but also can be a bit grating.
It is a bit grating, particularly since I do think that not knowing American culture is in fact going to put you at a disadvantage wrt understanding the American influenced world at large. Just as an example, sports language pervades American speech, and language and thought processes are interrelated.

In the end, it's not the end of the world, but I do find it rather annoying that some people (and maybe it was not the people here) would value this type of ignorance socially.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is a bit grating, particularly since I do think that not knowing American culture is in fact going to put you at a disadvantage wrt understanding the American influenced world at large. Just as an example, sports language pervades American speech, and language and thought processes are interrelated.

In the end, it's not the end of the world, but I do find it rather annoying that some people (and maybe it was not the people here) would value this type of
Nvm

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I may have been too sensitive, but I kind of took the earlier comments ("who the **** is John Mayer" and "I didn't even bother to look up John Mayer") to be one of those instances where someone is saying how they're better than other people cause they don't know some popular thing. It's like when you're at a party and people start talking about a TV show. There's always some guy who loves to say "Don't know it, don't have a TV. That stuff rots your brain."

I may be totally off base though with regard to the earlier comments.

1) I know John Mayer because of this forum, always forget why he is famous but I know he likes visvim and watches.
2) Haven't had a tv for a long time but then there is the internet and netflix and whatever so I know cardi B exists or whatever. I just cannot recognize her music (or face, I think).
3) It's not snobbish but let's face it the internet exposes us to pop culture in a more fragmented/personalized way so I guess you get the information you need for the type of interaction with the topic you have. I'm not going to listen to that stuff but I can say "Hey I saw this kanye west trump meme" or whatever.
4) Knowing the specifics of us pop culture is sincerely quite irrelevant in my life, I face no consequences beside missing a few jokes or whatever for not knowing it, that's not what people expect of me in interactions.
5) Pop culture will rot your brain if you mainly interact with it and avoid actual culture, checking out a few gossip websites or whatever and watching some **** tv series is fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads