1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior Member

That guy may not be morally better, but he might be culturally smarter than the people talking about whatever bullshit is trending now. Anyway, that’s the guy I want to talk to at the party.

2. Slin

Slin Senior Member

I agree with @Fuuma . I will take the French example I know. Everyone here complains about the quality of TV shows, about pop culture, but next to that everyone is watching TV. The day there's no more audience, there won't be any more morons signing on the screen.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

And to be fair John Mayer is mostly relevant in US pop culture these days to people who miss Jerry.

Or who are keeping a list for TSwift.

Though maybe I’ve missed a viral dance challenge somewhere.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Some Americans are so sensitive... anyone would think Americans were an oppressed global minority or something. You don't need to keep telling us how rich and powerful and influential you are while at the same time seeming hurt when other people just don't care. If we wanted that, we'd go and hang out in the dank cesspit of Current Events.

I like the way John Mayer wears Visvim. I was vaguely aware of him before but I've never heard any of his music, I don't intend for that to change. That's just fine with me.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I feel like you've set up a false dichotomy.

6. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

AMERICA IS THE BEST COUNTRY EVER AND I WON'T BE YOUR FRIEND ANYMORE IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME AND YOU KNOW I HAVE THE BESTEST FRIENDS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD SO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO NOT BE MY FRIEND ANYMORE HMPH

7. LA Guy

I'd agree with the last point and the third, but maybe the others are unknown unknowns.

8. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

re: anoraks. I remember Unionmade had something with flannel lining. Could work for lounging on Muni.

026c38763a2f6f3b4136a61b8e0cf0d7.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

9. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

10. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

knit popover? wifey has a half-zip cashmere hoodie with a kangaroo pouch (nice collective i think) seems a very cozy thing. i think it's a mens piece too.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

AFAIK LAGuy is Canadian by birth,american by choice and has some ethnocultural chinese origins. He doesn't strike me as especially sensitive about criticism of this. I personally disagree that knowing pop cultural trivia is important, you just need to have a working understanding of the force at play, that way you don't Victoria secret angels when the mood is #metoo and #bodypositivity.

12. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

13. LA Guy

Lounging on Muni is probably a good way to get jacked. Just sayin'. That said, that is pretty nice.

14. LA Guy

I'm Canadian by birh and don't have American citizenship, so I'm also Canadian by choice, though my wife feels that it would be better if I got dual citizenship, and my ethnocultural origins are completely Chinese. We even have the 25 generations (I am the 24th) on an ancentral scroll/record in the ancestral village. And I'm an NPR listener and NYT puzzle solver/Economist reader as well as reading scholarly works fairly regularly despite being out of academia for 6 years now, so I do find myself in a very odd position defending in depth knowledge of American pop culture.

I feel that you are right, generally, about knowing the forces at play, but I do feel that the minutiae are also important.

For example, to properly read the thinking behind Nike's ads with Colin Kaepernick and how it might affect their sales and stock prices, you need to know not just about Colin Kaepernick, but also about the general feeling towards the NFL organization vs the support for specific teams and players, which is distinct from say, the NHL, which is looked upon widely as "The League", rather than a bunch of rich dudes who profit off a sport. And in order to really understand that, you need to know about the player disputes of the 90s. That is to say, that Nike, an American company, was not thinking solely about race in (American football), but about a much more complex ecosystem involving class and the very visible control of a culturally important sport by a specific class. I suppose that if you have no stock in Nike, it's not going to directly affect you in any tangible way, but the entire situation provides valuable insight into politics in America, which does have an outsized effect on the rest of the world.

I do feel that a lot of people have a reaction against that last statement of fact.

15. LA Guy

Also that, but not only that.