• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's the point in coats if they don't go below the knee. just doesn't make sense.
Canadian here: they keep your butt warm without dragging when you sit down, squat down for whatever reason, etc... Car coat/Parka length is eminently practical in climates where slush is a daily reality for months at a time.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Actually after trying it back on tonight & steaming it out, I'd say it probably fits more TTS if you layer a sweater or something heavier with it. The biggest issue is the lack of shape through the chest/stomach which makes it not particularly flattering, but might take it to a tailor and see if that's something to be altered.

Definitely get the appeal of a longer coat for warmth & the drama, but it does feel more cumbersome to me - prefer it above the knee.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Area Man Found Dead From Hypothermia.

The man's body was discovered improperly dressed for the season. Man had told friends shortly before death that his coat 'didn't hit right.'"

tweedlover

Reaction score
I find longer coats annoying. Too much fabric swishing around. Awkward in cars as well. Greatly prefer Topcoat length at or just below the knees. Car coat length is fine too.

Just sent in my worn-once Belvest balmaccan to LuxeSwap as it was. Partly too long and baggy for me.
Have a couple of vintage overcoats which extend to mid-calf. Not only do I like the look of them, but find them eminently useful when there's a 25-35 mph wind blowing on wintery days. Keeps the legs warmer.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that J Crew coat is offered in long sizes, i'd be curious to see where the hem lands - something closer to the top of knee would look more proportional

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's the point in coats if they don't go below the knee. just doesn't make sense.

As somebody who is definitely not tall, longer coats have a tendency to make me look even shorter than I already am. I do own a couple longer coats but they're definitely not my most frequently worn.

Canadian here: they keep your butt warm without dragging when you sit down, squat down for whatever reason, etc... Car coat/Parka length is eminently practical in climates where slush is a daily reality for months at a time.

I'm in Michigan and agree with this 100%. Typical parka length is perfect for most of my needs, especially if I am getting in and out of a car a bunch - still keeps my butt warm, not as awkward/cumbersome to sit down in, don't have to worry about it dragging in the slush or mud on the side of my Jeep, etc.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Ah yes yes I agree with most of what you guys said but I prefer the car coat since they are shorter than overcoats which I find odd for proportions but they just cover the seat and no further, but you can keep them on while driving…and not have the coat material near your legs while operating the pedals so that’s nice. They’re more casual, and shouldn’t necessarily be paired with a sport jacket I usually just wear it over a suit though. I think it’s much better for the slush and snow and mud I have to deal with and on colder days. On even colder days I usually reach for the……..wait

wait

Oh nevermind
1DE9810A-FC47-44C7-8C96-D3230F718D6A.jpeg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned by some above, shorter length coats have their place; a parka length for instance suits a... parka coat rather well.

But the style of that J.Crew coat looks really bad in that length.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
So I was gifted a matching shirt (for me and my son) of a brand called “Psycho Bunny” I’m of course grateful for the gift and I am going to wear it yet I ask my sf bros…is this what the young kids call fuckboi fashion? Or will my Margiela denim and boots offset the fuckness? Haha

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its weird because you think it would be a young ppl brand but the only ppl I see wearing it in NYC are older Euro dudes.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
So I was gifted a matching shirt (for me and my son) of a brand called “Psycho Bunny” I’m of course grateful for the gift and I am going to wear it yet I ask my sf bros…is this what the young kids call fuckboi fashion? Or will my Margiela denim and boots offset the fuckness? Haha

So instead of an internet fashion fuckboy now you've just become a normal fuckboy.

I'm not familiar with the brand and I don't think that matters. If you're matching with your son people will think it's cute. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads