• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did someone say J Crew?

giphy.gif

I was in the Union Square location today to check out the tweed balmacaan. (It is indeed a nice coat, especially at 70% discount.) While there I did check the camel hair sport coat and found it to be very thin. They didn't have the camel polo coat to try, though.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Did someone say J Crew?

giphy.gif

I was in the Union Square location today to check out the tweed balmacaan. (It is indeed a nice coat, especially at 70% discount.) While there I did check the camel hair sport coat and found it to be very thin. They didn't have the camel polo coat to try, though.
Going off the webstore, it looks like the sport coat and polo coat have different suppliers for the camel hair (Tollegno 1900 & Joshua Ellis, respectively) but will report back when the coat gets here, which should be in the next few days

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $698 I’ll take the Brooks Bros camel hair sport coat over jcrew any day.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $698 I’ll take the Brooks Bros camel hair sport coat over jcrew any day.

at 70% off it’s 210.

I actually have to go out of my way to buy something full price at jcrew the sales are so frequent.

Iskander

Reaction score
Did someone say J Crew?

giphy.gif

Technically not a balmacaan, just a raglan sleeve overcoat

jmiller123

Reaction score
Anyone ever buy anything from beige habilleur? Is it the norm not to get any tracking information, and no response to an inquiry? Are they sending stuff by post (to US) and it shows up when it shows up?
I ordered a sweater from there a few years ago. Kinda remember them being very slow to respond but once I placed the order it was shipped within a few days. Sizing was different then the measurement chart so it had to go back on my dime which made me very weary to order something overseas without easy returns

jmiller123

Reaction score
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG

Jcrew Camel coat came in- here are my thoughts. This is a 40, which is my usual size but this unfortunately runs about a size large which is why its going back. Material is really nice, thick but soft & feels premium. Would have preferred different buttons, and finishing wasn't quite what I would expect at retail price. Also came wrinkled and without a coat bag. For what I paid (600), it would be worth it if it fit, but up to 1k seems fair considering the price of other camel coats on the market. Overall the most premium Jcrew piece I've handled.

schraiber

Reaction score
View attachment 1867680 View attachment 1867681

Jcrew Camel coat came in- here are my thoughts. This is a 40, which is my usual size but this unfortunately runs about a size large which is why its going back. Material is really nice, thick but soft & feels premium. Would have preferred different buttons, and finishing wasn't quite what I would expect at retail price. Also came wrinkled and without a coat bag. For what I paid (600), it would be worth it if it fit, but up to 1k seems fair considering the price of other camel coats on the market. Overall the most premium Jcrew piece I've handled.
That def looks nice. Are you going to exchange for a 38? It looks like maybe it's cut explicitly to wear over tailoring.

Always annoying to not know how overcoats are sized. At least some places like Spier and Mackay in theory tell you if it's cut to fit over tailoring or not, but their sizing is incredibly, hilariously inconsistent, even with size charts, so it doesn't really matter.

jmiller123

Reaction score
That def looks nice. Are you going to exchange for a 38? It looks like maybe it's cut explicitly to wear over tailoring.

Always annoying to not know how overcoats are sized. At least some places like Spier and Mackay in theory tell you if it's cut to fit over tailoring or not, but their sizing is incredibly, hilariously inconsistent, even with size charts, so it doesn't really matter.
Unfortunately won't be able as it's sold out & right before it was final sale. Luckily caught mine before then. I would exchange if they had the 38 though. The biggest issue is how large the shoulders are. If they were raglan it could work but as it's a normal set in shoulder, it just looks too obviously mis-sized. I think you're right that it's probably cut to accommodate tailoring which I just don't wear often at all

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

imo this has a nice volume through the shoulders and arms , that said i think the lapels and overall length miss the mark .

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's the point in coats if they don't go below the knee. just doesn't make sense.
I find longer coats annoying. Too much fabric swishing around. Awkward in cars as well. Greatly prefer Topcoat length at or just below the knees. Car coat length is fine too.

Just sent in my worn-once Belvest balmaccan to LuxeSwap as it was mostly too long and baggy for me.

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately won't be able as it's sold out & right before it was final sale. Luckily caught mine before then. I would exchange if they had the 38 though. The biggest issue is how large the shoulders are. If they were raglan it could work but as it's a normal set in shoulder, it just looks too obviously mis-sized. I think you're right that it's probably cut to accommodate tailoring which I just don't wear often at all

I think it looks dope in that size on you. Makes me sad I missed it.

As for exchange, give J Crew a call and explain the situation or go into a J Crew and talk to an SA. They can search to see if there are any returned 38s. I realized the tweed coat is better in a 44 on me and they've agreed to let me swap once I've received my 42, and even though it was final sale.

Unfortunately the camel coat was online only, so it's unlikely they can search store inventory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads