• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't know of a hard and fast rule...but 1.5" is quite common....

re no placket as being more dressy or casual,.......that too is all over the map as to what it really is.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several PC shirts with plackets and they did strike me as narrower than usual the first time I opened a box with a placketed shirt. After 1 or 2 wears I stopped caring.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered 3 shirts yesterday for the spring/summer season :
1. Portuguese Midnight Seersucker PCF1364.
2. Japanese Casual White Basketweave PCF1329.
3. Japanese Blue Slubweave PCF1210.
All of these on Soft Roma Cutaway collar.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the following shirts arriving Thursday:

Thomas Mason Light Blue End on End Stripe PCF718
Mercer Light Blue Broadcloth PCF977

I ordered them with plackets.

ffffuuuu.gif

cnew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Bleecker Beige Melange fabric? Looks interesting.
I ordered one with a button down collar as a casual shirt. It feels amazing and is very lightweight. However, the light weight means the shirt is very translucent. In addition, a white undershirt will show too easily. You might want to consider wearing a light grey/beige undershirt underneath. Uniqlo Airism shirts work well as they are equally breathable.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL what have I started?

If @Seph is paying attention, let it be known that there just may be dozens of us who want a wider placket option! Dozens!

Anyway, soft Roma cutaway is the bomb-dot-com. I got my (placket-less) linen-cotton shirt today and am super impressed. Also the long one-button cuff is perfect, too. As far as I'm concerned I guess I feel like I'll never need to buy another spread-collar dress shirt from anywhere else, ever.

Straight outta the box pics:

The collar is almost identical to the Eidos collar, by the way. Which is why I picked it (I compared measurements of my Eidos chambray before buying and sure enough, in person they match up almost exactly).

I'm now very curious to see just how slim they are. I can't imagine them ever being an issue for me, but I'll withhold a full opinion until I receive it.

Hold on. Wearing one now. I'll measure. You guys are too much.

What is considered normal?

Edit - Looks like it's 1.25" wide.

It's never occurred to me that the placket is narrow or too narrow. I'm not a huge fan of the standard, fused, placket, but that has nothing really to do with the width. I guess I'd echo @venividivicibj
 and wonder what would be considered normal. I do think that the soft placket that I use on more casual shirts is excellent, however. For my most dressy shirt I use the "no placket" option, which Proper Cloth describes as "casual" but which has never seemed so to me.

On another subject, I heartily recommend the Japanese Basketweave cotton fabric (PCF1329). I ordered a "OCBD-style" shirt in that fabric recently and wore it for the first time this weekend. It's lovely and soft, the texture is interesting, and the color is a very warm white. I think it's going to be a great summer casual shirt. I liked it so much I ordered a second one.

don't know of a hard and fast rule...but 1.5" is quite common....

re no placket as being more dressy or casual,.......that too is all over the map  as to  what it really is.

I have several PC shirts with plackets and they did strike me as narrower than usual the first time I opened a box with a placketed shirt.  After 1 or 2 wears I stopped caring.

I have the following shirts arriving Thursday:

Thomas Mason Light Blue End on End Stripe PCF718
Mercer Light Blue Broadcloth PCF977

I ordered them with plackets.

:fu:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff @mossrockss definitely looks great. It looks better sans tie than I would have expected. Always a nice plus.

Also, I'll be trying out the long 1 button eventually. So far all my non-FC PC shirts are 2 button cuffs

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
Long one button (soft or fused) is where it's at, for sure. I've only had one soft Roma, but I have two on order right now. It's definitely a nice collar, but I like it best when worn sans-tie with a jacket. One of these will also be my first no-placket shirt, so it will be interesting to see if I notice a big aesthetic difference... One way or another, at least I'lll know my placket is StyleForum approved. So that'll be nice.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks good.....

i usually get a soft 2 button cuff.....but Ill try the loooong 1 button too.

I asked PC a few yrs back about the narrow placket but then they had no plans to mod it....now I'm a fan of French!

I gotta submit some pics here....

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest the long one-button isn't really that long. but it's the curve that I like. i associate the notch you get from a curve like that (or a more deeply-cut mitered edge) with rakish and very stylish men. happy i found this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads