• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soft long one button cuff plus some wristraff

Pb924

Reaction score
I'm getting married in May and wearing a tux at the ceremony. I'm getting ready to have a tuxedo shirt made from ProperCloth and was looking for suggestions on fabric. My original plan was to use a nice Thomas Mason Twill fabric but I was told today that is to casual...Broadcloth could work but I don't like how wrinkly it gets. Any suggestions? Is twill really too casual?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting married in May and wearing a tux at the ceremony. I'm getting ready to have a tuxedo shirt made from ProperCloth and was looking for suggestions on fabric. My original plan was to use a nice Thomas Mason Twill fabric but I was told today that is to casual...Broadcloth could work but I don't like how wrinkly it gets. Any suggestions? Is twill really too casual?

All depends on what YOU think/want. I can almost guarantee nobody (fiancé/eventual wife included) will give a second thought to twill's formality, or lack thereof.

In regards to broadcloth, it is considered (again, nobody will care, but for argument's sake) a bit more formal. It will wrinkle a bit more, but ask yourself where it will wrinkle. The answer is (presumably) nowhere it won't be covered by your tux. If it's a tux shirt (pleat/pique facings) a broadcloth would do you fine.

That said, I'd suggest you consider a royal Oxford. It's considered more casual than even twill (which I don't cannot understand), but it provides a visual effect similar to a pique facing tux shirt.

Pb924

Reaction score
All depends on what YOU think/want. I can almost guarantee nobody (fiancé/eventual wife included) will give a second thought to twill's formality, or lack thereof.

In regards to broadcloth, it is considered (again, nobody will care, but for argument's sake) a bit more formal. It will wrinkle a bit more, but ask yourself where it will wrinkle. The answer is (presumably) nowhere it won't be covered by your tux. If it's a tux shirt (pleat/pique facings) a broadcloth would do you fine.

That said, I'd suggest you consider a royal Oxford. It's considered more casual than even twill (which I don't cannot understand), but it provides a visual effect similar to a pique facing tux shirt.
Thanks for the input. They have a few dobby fabrics on the website that add some of that picque like texture. I currently have a pleated front shirt that I'm not sold on. Thinking of making my order a plain front

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also am blah about pleated front shirts. I quite like the pique front look, but you're definitely pigeon holing yourself if you do. Plain front obviously allows the shirt to be worn in non-tux scenarios...

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great advice by eric..

twill
royal oxford/dobby
broadcoth

all good

btw..who told you twill is cas?

Last edited:

Bonzai

Reaction score
What is the overall opinion of the stiff vs the standard collars, functionally speaking? I bought one of the lighter blue twills and with a stiff president, and I almost feel like the collar is too heavy for the fabric to support it when worn open and is difficult to keep upright.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also am blah about pleated front shirts. I quite like the pique front look, but you're definitely pigeon holing yourself if you do. Plain front obviously allows the shirt to be worn in non-tux scenarios...

I don't agree with this advice. A tuxedo shirt is a specialized item and I don't think there's any point in trying to wear one without wearing a dinner jacket. It won't do double duty.

My recommendation would be to get a pique (marcella) front shirt and make the body of the shirt in a lightweight broadcloth. Remember, no one will ever see the body of your tuxedo shirt. Only the collar, front, and cuffs are visible under your dinner jacket and you never, ever take that off.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the overall opinion of the stiff vs the standard collars, functionally speaking? I bought one of the lighter blue twills and with a stiff president, and I almost feel like the collar is too heavy for the fabric to support it when worn open and is difficult to keep upright.

I have one (stiff president spread, I believe). It's okay. I didn't rush to my computer and order a bunch more. It's good without collar stays and good for a bow tie. I haven't tried to wear it without a tie.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this advice. A tuxedo shirt is a specialized item and I don't think there's any point in trying to wear one without wearing a dinner jacket. It won't do double duty.

My recommendation would be to get a pique (marcella) front shirt and make the body of the shirt in a lightweight broadcloth. Remember, no one will ever see the body of your tuxedo shirt. Only the collar, front, and cuffs are visible under your dinner jacket and you never, ever take that off.
I definitely failed in my clarity, because we are in 100% agreement here!

While a plain front is more versatile (i.e. can be worn in other situations without looking silly), versatility should not be the goal of a tux shirt...it is meant to be different from a regular shirt, as a tux is meant to be different from a regular suit.

Pique front and broadcloth would also be my favorite. I'd be inclined to throw Royal Oxford in the mix, but I feel that may clash a bit with a pique facing shirt.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely failed in my clarity, because we are in 100% agreement here!

While a plain front is more versatile (i.e. can be worn in other situations without looking silly), versatility should not be the goal of a tux shirt...it is meant to be different from a regular shirt, as a tux is meant to be different from a regular suit.

Pique front and broadcloth would also be my favorite. I'd be inclined to throw Royal Oxford in the mix, but I feel that may clash a bit with a pique facing shirt.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm not a fan of Royal Oxford cloth in general. I donated the one shirt I had made from it, some time ago. So I'm not a good person to judge whether or not it would work. I tend to think not, as it is heavier than would be necessary. But there's no reason I can think of why you couldn't use it, if you wanted to.

Pb924

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I'm not a fan of Royal Oxford cloth in general. I donated the one shirt I had made from it, some time ago. So I'm not a good person to judge whether or not it would work. I tend to think not, as it is heavier than would be necessary. But there's no reason I can think of why you couldn't use it, if you wanted to.
I went with Thomas Mason broadcloth and picque front

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics