• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CaptainTohm why not go a bit more than you think you need, so 0.5 or maybe 0.75? If you find that 0.25 probably would have been more optimal, you could always have a tailor nip the sides or add darts to trim it to preferred measurements?

As someone who has had the way too snug MTM shirt problem (though I somehow have NEVER popped a button lol), I'd rather have a bit too much fabric to work with than a bit too little.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Here's a full standing fit pic.

Sorry for all the pictures of me sticking my gut out as far as possible!
Additionally to midsection issue I also see some pulling at the topmost buttoned button. Witness the diagonal lines from the shoulder towards this button. I'm no expert but I think you also could slightly increase shoulder and/or chest width.

CaptainTohm

Reaction score

Additionally to midsection issue I also see some pulling at the topmost buttoned button. Witness the diagonal lines from the shoulder towards this button. I'm no expert but I think you also could slightly increase shoulder and/or chest width.

Good catch! I'm changing the shoulder slope to "square" with my next order.

bigsink

Reaction score
Ive been trying to decide on a collar for work (tech industry). The dress code at my business is mostly dress pants and spread shirts for upper management. Im flexible in what I can wear and like the idea of a different or type of collar. The IVY BD may set me apart since its far larger than whats usually worn. Yet, can still be worn with a suite blazer if I need to (business meetings). 99% of the time it'll be worn without a blazer.I usually wear wool pants or dress chinos with a slight break.

Note, chest size on these is either 23.5 or 23.25. My natural chest is about 42.25 but armpit tightness was an issue. *Pics to come*.

Bonus question: If anyone owns a sienna suite from Suit Supply...would the ivy BD (or any of these) go with it?

Last edited:

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the soft bd and the colo bd look great imo. They work for work/casual etc.
The soft bd is kinda tall.....I agree...I have several..its a look....

the colo bd is not too casual at all....but its casual for sure.

The spreads, when worn w/o a tie just look incomplete to me...like a guy that took his tie off....

for a cas look but well dressed, the bd's work...also try a soft pres or soft franklin......

btw, I have several of the HS chambrays ... great cloth....your pic of the colo bd has convinced me to go that way...nice..it appears quite soft..its not fused is it....?

Can I see a pic of the rear of the colo bd?..Id like to see how that rear button looks?

Last edited:

bigsink

Reaction score

the soft bd and the colo bd look great imo. They work for work/casual etc.
The soft bd is kinda tall.....I agree...I have several..its a look....

the colo bd is not too casual at all....but its casual for sure.

The spreads,  when worn w/o a tie just look incomplete to me...like a guy that took his tie off....

for a cas look but well dressed, the bd's work...also try a soft pres or soft franklin......

btw, I have several of the HS  chambrays ... great cloth....your pic of the colo bd has convinced me to go that way...nice..it appears quite soft..its not fused is it....?

Can I see a pic of the rear of the colo bd?..Id like to see how that rear button looks?

I can take pics of the Colorodo BD. Later. It's unfused and soft. I really like the soft pres for my causal (thicker) shirts. Its very nice.

Bonzai

Reaction score
I've received my first proper cloth shirt and was hoping for some guidance on fit. The shirt has about 3" too much fabric in the midsection with no darts. I would like to add the darts option to my next shirt while also making the midsection slimmer overall. Can anyone give input on what changes I should make to my measurements, taking into account that I will be adding darts? Thanks!

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mixed emotions on darts....

sometimes I feel they are uber ol skool cool....James Bond ish.......other times a bit feminine...lol

that being said I just ordered a darted shirt from pc.

if u read what they say re darts....it wont make shirt slimmer per se..it just removes excess material in rear of shirt..they add width to front, and your specs remain constant.....

not all tailors make darts the same.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads