• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blacktaro

Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting fabric from eBay? I've found the price there is a lot cheaper than retail websites so considering what are the risks I will need to take buying those discounted fabric.
(E.g Two meters of Loro Piana wool/cashmere is just below US$150)

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting fabric from eBay? I've found the price there is a lot cheaper than retail websites so considering what are the risks I will need to take buying those discounted fabric.
(E.g Two meters of Loro Piana wool/cashmere is just below US$150)
I’m mostly buying fabrics from ebay. E.g. The suit above is made in Lumbs Golden Bale, which I bought for something around 200 GBP for 3.5 meters - quite cheap. I also bought a lot of Dormeuil, Scabal etc. fabrics in similarly low prices. There are reputable ebay sellers from which you don’t risk buying a fake and the price is significantly lower than RRP. Obvious drawback is that you can’t touch the fabric and the colour on pictures is quite often different than real one, sometimes the texture on photos also looks more distinct than in reality. Usually it’s also hard to find classic plain fabrics, much easier to find some checks, stripes and odd colors. Overall I’m quite happy with majority of my purchases, worth trying IMO.

dan'l

Reaction score
I‘ve never bought off eBay. I know there are some reputable sellers, but I‘d worry about what to do in case of any snags or other damage to the fabric which is undetectable until spreading out the cloth (granted this can happen when buying from a member here, which I‘ve done).

I ordered a length of cloth from HFW once and after I received it, I unrolled it and found a small snag. I contacted them and they sent out a replacement. It‘s only happened that one time (knock on wood), but this is what I‘d worry about when buying pre-cut lengths from anyone (eBay, SF member, etc.). However, if the seller has an entire bolt and rolls out a length for your order to cut, this should minimize the risk, at least in theory...

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright boys ....

The Professor has been busy creating his own designs (from scratch) ...

Alan Bee
717E5F2A-FBBF-46AA-BD3A-386C4A2C80A0.jpeg
A43B27C6-912D-4B8D-AC25-E4E0FFC6E030.jpeg
C612209E-BF28-44BD-A688-90989B39B2E4.jpeg
D1A05ADC-6277-472E-8924-3529441CB1C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.
Subtle shape with an elegant line that defines chest to waist and hip.
I like the placement of the lower pockets. They need to be high on the hip. Lots of tailors place them too low.

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.
I like the placement of the lower pockets. They need to be high on the hip. Lots of tailors place them too low.

@Despos

Thank you Chris. This has been quite a labor of love from the beginning 2 years ago.

You have guided us right (with your commentary and counsel) from the first fitting of the Classic Trousers almost two years ago and up this the jacket.

You sir, are a fine man. A true gentleman and scholar. My offer still stands for a shared bottle of wine when I do visit Chicago to see my hat maker Graham Thompson at OPTIMO.

Alan Bee

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.

Chris,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how "strict" the pocket placement rule ought to be. We were recently having a discussion with my tailor (English) on how Neapolitans seem to have a lower pocket placement. This definitely helps have a natural arm position if you like to rest your hands in them (ie the famous Prince Charles DB, below - I remember there's a better picture of this but can't find it).

6ccfd5574204b4b87eddf3984f22d051.jpg

Versus the more traditional placement, which I think you are referring to, below.

QRDLZUGFLYI6NI73IYZGZLCBYY.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how "strict" the pocket placement rule ought to be.
Not aware of what the rules are or if there are rules. Spent time with two tailors recently talking about pattern drafting. Each of us had a different method of determining the lower pockets and the breast pocket placement.
These days I don't see as many Italian tailors place them as low as they used to. Never liked that or high gorges.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My offer still stands for a shared bottle of wine when I do visit Chicago to see my hat maker Graham Thompson at OPTIMO.
@Alan Bee
Counter offer that the three of us have a meal together.
You pick the wine and I'll pick the place/food!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee
Counter offer that the three of us have a meal together.
You pick the wine and I'll pick the place/food!
@Despos

Done Chris! I would be so honored to sit at the table with not one, but TWO MASTERS ....

Will send you a private DM

Alan Bee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads