• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

backtaro

Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting fabric from eBay? I've found the price there is a lot cheaper than retail websites so considering what are the risks I will need to take buying those discounted fabric.
(E.g Two meters of Loro Piana wool/cashmere is just below US$150)

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting fabric from eBay? I've found the price there is a lot cheaper than retail websites so considering what are the risks I will need to take buying those discounted fabric.
(E.g Two meters of Loro Piana wool/cashmere is just below US$150)
I’m mostly buying fabrics from ebay. E.g. The suit above is made in Lumbs Golden Bale, which I bought for something around 200 GBP for 3.5 meters - quite cheap. I also bought a lot of Dormeuil, Scabal etc. fabrics in similarly low prices. There are reputable ebay sellers from which you don’t risk buying a fake and the price is significantly lower than RRP. Obvious drawback is that you can’t touch the fabric and the colour on pictures is quite often different than real one, sometimes the texture on photos also looks more distinct than in reality. Usually it’s also hard to find classic plain fabrics, much easier to find some checks, stripes and odd colors. Overall I’m quite happy with majority of my purchases, worth trying IMO.

dan'l

Reaction score
I‘ve never bought off eBay. I know there are some reputable sellers, but I‘d worry about what to do in case of any snags or other damage to the fabric which is undetectable until spreading out the cloth (granted this can happen when buying from a member here, which I‘ve done).

I ordered a length of cloth from HFW once and after I received it, I unrolled it and found a small snag. I contacted them and they sent out a replacement. It‘s only happened that one time (knock on wood), but this is what I‘d worry about when buying pre-cut lengths from anyone (eBay, SF member, etc.). However, if the seller has an entire bolt and rolls out a length for your order to cut, this should minimize the risk, at least in theory...

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright boys ....

The Professor has been busy creating his own designs (from scratch) ...

Both AskOkey (tm) Classic Jacket and Trousers from idea to completion in quintessential Classic Form ...

Alan Bee
717E5F2A-FBBF-46AA-BD3A-386C4A2C80A0.jpeg
A43B27C6-912D-4B8D-AC25-E4E0FFC6E030.jpeg
C612209E-BF28-44BD-A688-90989B39B2E4.jpeg
D1A05ADC-6277-472E-8924-3529441CB1C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.
Subtle shape with an elegant line that defines chest to waist and hip.
I like the placement of the lower pockets. They need to be high on the hip. Lots of tailors place them too low.

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.
I like the placement of the lower pockets. They need to be high on the hip. Lots of tailors place them too low.
@Despos

Thank you Chris. This has been quite a labor of love from the beginning 2 years ago.

You have guided us right (with your commentary and counsel) from the first fitting of the Classic Trousers almost two years ago and up this the jacket.

You sir, are a fine man. A true gentleman and scholar. My offer still stands for a shared bottle of wine when I do visit Chicago to see my hat maker Graham Thompson at OPTIMO.

Alan Bee

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Nice Mr. Bee.
Chris,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how "strict" the pocket placement rule ought to be. We were recently having a discussion with my tailor (English) on how Neapolitans seem to have a lower pocket placement. This definitely helps have a natural arm position if you like to rest your hands in them (ie the famous Prince Charles DB, below - I remember there's a better picture of this but can't find it).

Versus the more traditional placement, which I think you are referring to, below.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how "strict" the pocket placement rule ought to be.
Not aware of what the rules are or if there are rules. Spent time with two tailors recently talking about pattern drafting. Each of us had a different method of determining the lower pockets and the breast pocket placement.
These days I don't see as many Italian tailors place them as low as they used to. Never liked that or high gorges.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers from the video are PERFECT.
Yes Supreme Lord, Yes they are ....

Here’s its twin sister also in FOX FLANNEL (herringbone).

All designed and executed by Alan Bee ...

Alan Bee

030AAEB7-0503-4CD0-95B0-2B17984628C6.jpeg
899FC8D2-6BC0-42B9-9970-6F116EA9334B.jpeg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My offer still stands for a shared bottle of wine when I do visit Chicago to see my hat maker Graham Thompson at OPTIMO.
@Alan Bee
Counter offer that the three of us have a meal together.
You pick the wine and I'll pick the place/food!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee
Counter offer that the three of us have a meal together.
You pick the wine and I'll pick the place/food!
@Despos

Done Chris! I would be so honored to sit at the table with not one, but TWO MASTERS ....

Will send you a private DM

Alan Bee

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown