• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

If Philadelphia is closer to you, I'd recommend Ray at http://raycustomshirtmaker.com/
I've had 4 shirts made there and Ray is always a pleasure to deal with. Fit on my shirts is very good.
To clarify, I did not ask Corcos to emulate the Liverano style. What I meant was that Corcos, being a Florentine tailor, has a house style (dartless front, very open and rounded quarters, soft but not completely unstructured shoulder) similar to Liverano's house style. I mentioned Liverano because they are by far the most well known Florentine tailor, and besides Corcos, the only one that travels. As a result, the Florentine style is distinct (in that it looks different from British, French, and other Italian styles) and was pretty unique (since people not able to make regular trips to Florence previously could only get jackets in the Florentine style from Liverano at one of his trunk shows). Now, Corcos offers a similar style at a much lower price point

I'm very happy with my Corcos garments and have several more in the pipeline. That said, Liverano is in a different league. As it should be at that price point, of course. As a classic style enthusiast I'm happy I have at least one jacket cut by Antonio Liverano, and I hope to get a full suit before he retires (whenever that might be).

Tony Montana

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Corcos garments and have several more in the pipeline. That said, Liverano is in a different league. As it should be at that price point, of course. As a classic style enthusiast I'm happy I have at least one jacket cut by Antonio Liverano, and I hope to get a full suit before he retires (whenever that might be).
How is Liverano in a different league? In what ways? (Not questioning, just very curious!)

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

How is Liverano in a different league? In what ways? (Not questioning, just very curious!)

It's just something about how you feel when wearing a garment from Antonio, and I love the house cut too. I bet it's to some extent in my head only, but having a cutter with that amount of experience is something else. I'm sure as Kotaro gains more experience his work will at some point surpass Antonio's.

jedwards

Reaction score

It's just something about how you feel when wearing a garment from Antonio, and I love the house cut too. I bet it's to some extent in my head only, but having a cutter with that amount of experience is something else. I'm sure as Kotaro gains more experience his work will at some point surpass Antonio's.

Don't forget the rule of supply and demand.
Liverano looks to make lovely garments. Inevitably though, once he got "big in japan" his prices rose, people were willing to pay it, and there is only one Mr. Liverano (and small team). So either prices rise a lot to keep reasonable waiting times, or prices stood the same and waiting lists and creation to completion times got longer and longer. (In some ways the Internet is making this phenomena a lot worse if you think about it - a few cool people on social media talk up their tailor, a year or two later prices rise dramatically).

Economic text book will tell you this does not necessarily mean his work is 3x better than his closest stablemates, it just means people are willing to pay 3x more or whatever the multiple is. It's a taboo to admit it on styleforum, but the brand name halo effect of tailors is really not much different from the brand whores who buy LV monogrammed stuff etc.

I am certainly not immune to this myself, and I use some' brand name' tailors and some who are less so. You feel a bit more 'special' when you wear the more branded tailors I guess but the difference between these ones, at least I have used is not always that noticeable and certainly amongst your friends and family, they would be hard pressed to tell the difference if you told them the price difference between a good but "cheap" tailor and the expensive, famous tailor.

GabrielOB

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, I thought Leaves was way younger judging by his pics.
Please do not flatter him. His ego is big enough as it is.
biggrin.gif

I don't think that's a good idea in general. At least, I've never seen it done succesfully.
Agreed, most tailors master a certain style. I would rather, as @Sander is hinting towards, find a tailor that has the house cut you personally like.

Punt

Reaction score
DfKF8U3.jpg

Kind of bespoke, well at least my own last and test shoe (the one in the picture!)...

Insane detailing for a test shoe!!!

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice! Where from?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Are there other shoemaker than Meccariello who have a tree trunk in their workshop. :D

It's actually mandatory for Italian shoemakers to have it. There's a special branch within the Carabinieri who enforces the regulation.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not important, but I have one--it is Madrone, a PNW relative of the yew. It used to be as wide as Antonio's but a full stump roughly 40" tall (you should have seen the fellow, a friend, that carried in it on his shoulders). But Madrone checks badly and through the years slabs have come off until now it is about 20" across and 24" high. I have a piece of railroad iron mounted on it as an anvil as well as a peg float.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads