1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm very happy with my Corcos garments and have several more in the pipeline. That said, Liverano is in a different league. As it should be at that price point, of course. As a classic style enthusiast I'm happy I have at least one jacket cut by Antonio Liverano, and I hope to get a full suit before he retires (whenever that might be).

2. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior Member

How is Liverano in a different league? In what ways? (Not questioning, just very curious!)

3. Leaves

It's just something about how you feel when wearing a garment from Antonio, and I love the house cut too. I bet it's to some extent in my head only, but having a cutter with that amount of experience is something else. I'm sure as Kotaro gains more experience his work will at some point surpass Antonio's.

4. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

I don't think that's a good idea in general. At least, I've never seen it done succesfully.

5. jedwards

jedwards Senior Member

Don't forget the rule of supply and demand.
    Liverano looks to make lovely garments. Inevitably though, once he got "big in japan" his prices rose, people were willing to pay it, and there is only one Mr. Liverano (and small team). So either prices rise a lot to keep reasonable waiting times, or prices stood the same and waiting lists and creation to completion times got longer and longer. (In some ways the Internet is making this phenomena a lot worse if you think about it - a few cool people on social media talk up their tailor, a year or two later prices rise dramatically).

Economic text book will tell you this does not necessarily mean his work is 3x better than his closest stablemates, it just means people are willing to pay 3x more or whatever the multiple is. It's a taboo to admit it on styleforum, but the brand name halo effect of tailors is really not much different from the brand whores who buy LV monogrammed stuff etc.

I am certainly not immune to this myself, and I use some' brand name' tailors and some who are less so. You feel a bit more 'special' when you wear the more branded tailors I guess but the difference between these ones, at least I have used is not always that noticeable and certainly amongst your friends and family, they would be hard pressed to tell the difference if you told them the price difference between a good but "cheap" tailor and the expensive, famous tailor.

6. GabrielOB

GabrielOB Affiliate Vendor

Please do not flatter him. His ego is big enough as it is. [​IMG]

Agreed, most tailors master a certain style. I would rather, as @Sander is hinting towards, find a tailor that has the house cut you personally like.

7. Tony Montana

As well as the Veblen effect.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

haha. Especially in some asian cultures this is true.

9. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Fortunately for us, @hermes man is back to illustrate this. :)

10. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kind of bespoke, well at least my own last and test shoe (the one in the picture!)...

Insane detailing for a test shoe!!!

11. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Nice! Where from?

12. Tony Montana

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Are there other shoemaker than Meccariello who have a tree trunk in their workshop. :D

14. Leaves

It's actually mandatory for Italian shoemakers to have it. There's a special branch within the Carabinieri who enforces the regulation.

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Not important, but I have one--it is Madrone, a PNW relative of the yew. It used to be as wide as Antonio's but a full stump roughly 40" tall (you should have seen the fellow, a friend, that carried in it on his shoulders). But Madrone checks badly and through the years slabs have come off until now it is about 20" across and 24" high. I have a piece of railroad iron mounted on it as an anvil as well as a peg float.