• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask here:

Does anyone know of US based, bespoke shirtmakers? Everywhere I go that advertises "bespoke" shirts is really MTM, mostly made by Skip Gambert. I am Ohio based, so someone nearby would be lovely, but understand that's one of the drawbacks of being in flyover land.. Any thoughts?

semperexcelsius

Reaction score

Does anyone know of US based, bespoke shirtmakers? Everywhere I go that advertises "bespoke" shirts is really MTM, mostly made by Skip Gambert. I am Ohio based, so someone nearby would be lovely, but understand that's one of the drawbacks of being in flyover land.. Any thoughts?
Well, it seems to me that Ohio is roughly in between NYC and Chi-town, so those might be your two best bets. In NY, the recommended places are usually CEGO, Paris, or Geneva. T&A has an operation there too, but they don't get a huge amount of SF love, and they technically aren't "US-based," I suppose.

Not sure what your price range is, but check out those. If you think those aren't expensive or good enough, you could always see Kabbaz
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I can't help much with Chicago, but I'll mention @Despos who I believe works in the area. If he doesn't make shirts himself, he can probably recommend some other good shirtmakers in the area.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems to me that Ohio is roughly in between NYC and Chi-town, so those might be your two best bets. In NY, the recommended places are usually CEGO, Paris, or Geneva. T&A has an operation there too, but they don't get a huge amount of SF love, and they technically aren't "US-based," I suppose.

Not sure what your price range is, but check out those. If you think those aren't expensive or good enough, you could always see Kabbaz
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I can't help much with Chicago, but I'll mention @Despos who I believe works in the area. If he doesn't make shirts himself, he can probably recommend some other good shirtmakers in the area.
Thanks for the input, and I never see a need to spend money just for the sake of it, so I wont add to the wait times at Kabbaz!

Chicago is much closer, so that is likely where I will end up, but I am open to other suggestions as well. I will reach out to Despos and see what he thinks.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

http://www.byboris.com/

I have never seen his garment, but he does make these himself.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, but look who advertises their clothes.

Who "advertises" their clothes? The Armoury?

Liverano's main customer base -- at least outside of Florence -- has always been in East Asia, even before The Armoury picked them up. Guys there tend to have a lot more disposable income than those in the US.

I also don't think the house was ever aimed at younger customers, either in Japan, Hong Kong, or the US.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who "advertises" their clothes? The Armoury?

Liverano's main customer base -- at least outside of Florence -- has always been in East Asia, even before The Armoury picked them up. Guys there tend to have a lot more disposable income than those in the US.

I also don't think the house was ever aimed at younger customers, either in Japan, Hong Kong, or the US.

You're a HEARTBREAKER, dream maker, love taker.........

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah, but look who advertises their clothes.

:brick:

What is the point of attracting younger buyers at this price point?

Are we talking about Corcos? I'm a Corcos client and I have shared some pictures, I'm 39, @gusvs is 40, George is 35, not exactly young lads. But Niels, Benedikt and my team members Gabriel, Alexander and Oliver are young fellas, no doubt, but they have bespoke clothing as their number one passion and profession, they are not your average 20-something dudes.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rich Asians In Ur Sartoria

Inflating Ur Prices

:( I guess I'd be asking for trouble if I had my tailor try and immulate the style.

Are we talking about Corcos? I'm a Corcos client and I have shared some pictures, I'm 39, @gusvs is 40, George is 35, not exactly young lads. But Niels, Benedikt and my team members Gabriel, Alexander and Oliver are young fellas, no doubt, but they have bespoke clothing as their number one passion and profession, they are not your average 20-something dudes.

Was referencing the price quote of a Liverano sports coat. That is the most I'd be willing to pay for a suit.

I think the price of the Corcos is fair.

dawei94

Reaction score

If Philadelphia is closer to you, I'd recommend Ray at http://raycustomshirtmaker.com/
I've had 4 shirts made there and Ray is always a pleasure to deal with. Fit on my shirts is very good.

:( I guess I'd be asking for trouble if I had my tailor try and immulate the style.
Was referencing the price quote of a Liverano sports coat. That is the most I'd be willing to pay for a suit.

I think the price of the Corcos is fair.

To clarify, I did not ask Corcos to emulate the Liverano style. What I meant was that Corcos, being a Florentine tailor, has a house style (dartless front, very open and rounded quarters, soft but not completely unstructured shoulder) similar to Liverano's house style. I mentioned Liverano because they are by far the most well known Florentine tailor, and besides Corcos, the only one that travels. As a result, the Florentine style is distinct (in that it looks different from British, French, and other Italian styles) and was pretty unique (since people not able to make regular trips to Florence previously could only get jackets in the Florentine style from Liverano at one of his trunk shows). Now, Corcos offers a similar style at a much lower price point

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To clarify, I did not ask Corcos to emulate the Liverano style. What I meant was that Corcos, being a Florentine tailor, has a house style (dartless front, very open and rounded quarters, soft but not completely unstructured shoulder) similar to Liverano's house style. I mentioned Liverano because they are by far the most well known Florentine tailor, and besides Corcos, the only one that travels. As a result, the Florentine style is distinct (in that it looks different from British, French, and other Italian styles) and was pretty unique (since people not able to make regular trips to Florence previously could only get jackets in the Florentine style from Liverano at one of his trunk shows). Now, Corcos offers a similar style at a much lower price point

Yes, but I don't have access to any italian tailors and have thought about using my tailor to try and emulate the style.

Oh well, its probably a good thing I don't have easy access to some of these tailors because they would take all of my money.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't have access to any italian tailors and have thought about using my tailor to try and emulate the style.

Oh well, its probably a good thing I don't have easy access to some of these tailors because they would take all of my money.

I would be happy to give them my money....it might cover canvassing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads