• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my first bespoke commission ever. Photo is from my second fitting and there will be some adjustments on jacket - making chest and shoulders smaller, the quarters will be more open and rounded. The fabric is tweed from Harrisons WB12112.

I'm also thinking about shortening the jacket... What do you guys think?

My first commission ever I went short, and I have regretted it since. I don't even wear that sport coat anymore as a result. I would recommend you stick with this length for this piece and consider going even longer in the next piece. I think your other listed changes are fine, but I would not go too far from what you have here as it looks good.

DL-

Last edited:

palodelincak

Reaction score
My first commission ever I went short, and I have regretted it since. I don't even wear that sport coat anymore as a result. I would recommend you stick with this length for this piece and consider going even longer in the next piece. I think your other listed changes are fine, but I would not go too far from what you have here as it looks good.

DL-

Bold choice sir! I wouldn't shorten the jacket.

Thanks for opinions! I'll stick with this length for now.

The fabric is quite bold choice as you wrote... I was little bit disappointed because it was much lighter on jacket then when I saw the swatch. But I suppose it's okay for autumn here :).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for opinions! I'll stick with this length for now.

The fabric is quite bold choice as you wrote... I was little bit disappointed because it was much lighter on jacket then when I saw the swatch. But I suppose it's okay for autumn here :).
FWIW, don't take "bold" as a critique. Since it's your coat, and your money that funded it, you ought to get whatever you please!

It's definitely a bit too bold for me, but I'm fairly bland when it comes to dress.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly would not go any shorter.

There will be more adjustments at this point? That is somewhat surprising to me (since the jacket seems finished).

Who is the jacket from, out of curiosity?

palodelincak

Reaction score
I certainly would not go any shorter.

There will be more adjustments at this point? That is somewhat surprising to me (since the jacket seems finished).

Who is the jacket from, out of curiosity?

Jacket is from tailor named Hartl from Prague.

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Jacket is from tailor named Hartl from Prague.

Congrats to this tailor that i've never heard. Your jacket is fitting very good, chest has a drape, it has character, keep it as it's ! Don't do any changes with the exception of quarters that you can make very very slightly more open (question of taste...)
For color; yes bunches seems always slightly darker than full length. I don't know why...

grahamBrowne

Reaction score
I wouldn't shorten the jacket, most people go by the rule if you cup your hands the jacket should sit in it which can be problematic if you have arms two different lengths (unless that's your stance).
The jacket sits in line with your body rise (crotch) which is where I would fit most jackets too

It's fine the jacket looks nice, great colour choice

I will say I rarely comment on other people's fits because it's a very personal thing but in this case you might be overthinking the length

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll pile on: do not shorten the coat. It is barely long enough as it is.

I love it, it looks great on you. I'd wear it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some more pictures of progress on my shooting jacket. My last fitting was back in May, but I don't think I'll get the finished jacket this year. Pictures courtesy of Matthew and Edwin DeBoise. This is Edwin modeling my jacket.

We are going to remove the breast bellows pocket. Otherwise, it looks ready to be finished, to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another vote for not shortening. Also wouldn't change the chest and quarters, but agree with Graham above that style is a very personal thing. I think the coat looks great on you, FWIW.

palodelincak

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you all for your responses! I'm pleasantly shocked about kindness of people in this thread!

The chest thing - I must say it's worse in real life then in photos. Actually there is a fold of fabric and canvas between my armpits and middle button. When you take a look at the waist line and then take a look at the sleeve line (where it attaches to the body) you see the line in between is disturbed by bulky chest.

Quarters - most of my OTR jackets looks like this. So I decided that I want to try something new - thus the decision to have more rounded and open quarters (something like B&Tailor style).

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd offer the following advice, learned the hard way: live with the jacket for a bit before you commit to changes, let it settle and get used to what sounds like more drape that you are used to. Drape doesn't look perfect is a static robo-pose, but it allows for movement and real life motion without pulling the entire jacket when moving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads