• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On ‘over-dressing’

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very well, Prince Andrew. Is he aristocratic enough for you? We can discuss how “distinguished“ he is, in light of recent accusations, if you wish.

So wait...if [insert asshole's name] wears a suit, it means all suit wearers are tainted?

Isochronous

Reaction score
1. ‘Slovenian’? Is that the equivalent of Savile Row?

2. Can she hold a good conversation in English ? Or is she just there for show? (lets assume the Slovenian is a she. If not that’s another conversation)

3. Are there any good value alternatives you can mention, for those who cannot afford Savile Row?

TaiPan Row.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
That's a fair point, it's all about the environment - a factory floor is a very different place from a city office. I wouldn't wear a suit to a factory myself because I wouldn't want to ruin or dirty it (bespoke suits should be treated as cherished assets)
So... you're saying you don't want to be... overdressed?

Dadacantona

Reaction score
So wait...if [insert asshole's name] wears a suit, it means all suit wearers are tainted?
not at all. My point relates to the notion that “well bred” people are distinguished, polite, whatever, or that any of this relates to the clothes that we wear, all of which is bollocks.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very well, Prince Andrew. Is he aristocratic enough for you? We can discuss how “distinguished“ he is, in light of recent accusations, if you wish.

I certainly do not make the case for every member of an aristocratic family being distinguished; that would snuff out a great deal of delightful anecdotes throughout history. I was simply pointing out that the politician in question has nothing to do with the upper class - an association that irked me. Carry on, otherwise.

Edit: I would have been just as bothered if he were claiming to be a "man of the people" or some such nonsense.

Last edited:

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I certainly do not make the case for every member of an aristocratic family being distinguished; that would snuff out a great deal of delightful anecdotes throughout history. I was simply pointing out that the politician in question has nothing to do with the upper class - an association that irked me. Carry on, otherwise.

Edit: I would have been just as bothered if he were claiming to be a "man of the people" or some such nonsense.
At least four generations of Cameron's maternal ancestors attended Eton and all help positions of power. Moneyed people in any event. Whether they were members of the aristocracy is neither here nor there; they are part of the ruling class and I think the point still stands.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least four generations of Cameron's maternal ancestors attended Eton and all help positions of power. Moneyed people in any event. Whether they were members of the aristocracy is neither here nor there; they are part of the ruling class and I think the point still stands.

I think you'd get a kick out of one of my favorite books: Brewer's Rogues, Villains, and Eccentrics. Lots of examples in there of people behaving bizarrely - many of them from the upper classes.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'd get a kick out of one of my favorite books: Brewer's Rogues, Villains, and Eccentrics. Lots of examples in there of people behaving bizarrely - many of them from the upper classes.

Isn't one of the benefits of being rich the opportunity to behave boorishly with fewer consequences?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't one of the benefits of being rich the opportunity to behave boorishly with fewer consequences?

Oh, but there were consequences for some - in fact, I enjoy reading about the outliers almost as much as the great men who have shaped history just because of their escapades.

I'm also one of those historians who does not equate wealth with class, so there's that.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. ‘Slovenian’? Is that the equivalent of Savile Row?

2. Can she hold a good conversation in English ? Or is she just there for show? (lets assume the Slovenian is a she. If not that’s another conversation)

3. Are there any good value alternatives you can mention, for those who cannot afford Savile Row?
Trump is married to a statuesque Slovenian model who speaks English, but
he certainly does not dress Savile Row.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trump is married to a statuesque Slovenian model who speaks English, but
he certainly does not dress Savile Row.
No Trump does not dress Savile Row. He might need to work on that, though it’s unlikely he will. He has a decent overcoat though. Maybe he could just wear that all the time?

Previously he was married to a Czech. So a mid European pattern there.

horseman40

Reaction score
No Trump does not dress Savile Row. He might need to work on that, though it’s unlikely he will. He has a decent overcoat though. Maybe he could just wear that all the time?

Previously he was married to a Czech. So a mid European pattern there.
Well....Obozo certainly did not dress Savile Row...he probably could not even pronounce the word. Maybe he could pronounce K Mart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads