• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL Simon Crompton thread (PermanentStyle.com)

rossyl

Reaction score
An ‘oriental version.’ Yuck. Please tell me you’re over the age of 80.

And calling out Ethan Newton - who admittedly dresses in a pretty ludicrous way - for being overweight. Come on, dude. Pretty much everything about what you’ve written here is gross and unpleasant.
It is all accurate though, even if you don't care for posters pointing out the bleedin obvious.
Leaving aside the term used.

Benny from Crossroads comparison is apt.

This is EXACTLY what I was referring to in my post that sparked some of this debate. High-end bespoke and High-end Casual do not mix.

Can someone please explain to me how photos of quality bespoke tailoring relates to a chap in a beanie hat and MC Hammer's jeans?

Yet, because Simon is displaying such photos alongside bespoke tailoring it somehow makes what his man is wearing seem "stylish," it's not. If anyone wore the exact same stuff on here, they'd be criticised.

It is at best the poorest form of Modern Art and at worst, the Emperor's New Clothes.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet I’ve found much of what they do to be costumey and I think similarly, I find Ethan’s looks very costumey

I always look at his fits and wish I had the panache/balls/coolness to pull them off. I see what you’re saying, I just think in his case it looks like a good costume, not a bad one.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is EXACTLY what I was referring to in my post that sparked some of this debate. High-end bespoke and High-end Casual do not mix.

Can someone please explain to me how photos of quality bespoke tailoring relates to a chap in a beanie hat and MC Hammer's jeans?

Yet, because Simon is displaying such photos alongside bespoke tailoring it somehow makes what his man is wearing seem "stylish," it's not. If anyone wore the exact same stuff on here, they'd be criticised.

It is at best the poorest form of Modern Art and at worst, the Emperor's New Clothes.

How is this any different than rugged Ivy, which is a perfectly acceptable CM casual look? Large chinos or fatigue pants, a sweater and a blazer vs. the photos in the article don’t seem that different to me.

Satmoche

Reaction score

Men, as a whole, have been quite casual before COVID, and it got worse afterwards. It seems accepted to even wear brown calf leather shoes with charcoal, so the rules are pretty much thrown out of the window.
The jeans are quite relaxed, and I could see how in spring or summer, one may want to go this sort of jeans. As for the beanie, brands like Drake's have promoted this sort of style, just like the rugby shirt under a sport coat.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do and no, I’m not.

East Asian and South Asian are not the loony lefty PC Brigade gone mad and forcing it down your throat. They’re geographical realities.
I doubt you are either a Brit or a Londoner. I suspect you are some sort of blow-in, now claiming this status.

I repeat NOBODY in Britain uses the term ‘East Asian’ or ‘South Asian’. Mostly people will refer directly to a nationality - Indian, Pakistani, or Chinese or Japanese for example. Where nationality is not known ‘Oriental’ is used. Westerners are sometimes referred to as ‘Occidental’ in posh articles. Nobody takes offence. Nobody in Britain objects to ‘Oriental’ either.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you are either a Brit or a Londoner. I suspect you are some sort of blow-in, now claiming this status.

I repeat NOBODY in Britain uses the term ‘East Asian’ or ‘South Asian’. Mostly people will refer directly to a nationality - Indian, Pakistani, or Chinese or Japanese for example. Where nationality is not known ‘Oriental’ is used. Westerners are sometimes referred to as ‘Occidental’ in posh articles. Nobody takes offence. Nobody in Britain objects to ‘Oriental’ either.
Nobody in Britain uses the term East Asian! NOBODY!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody in Britain uses the term East Asian! NOBODY!

Neither GQ magazine, Civil Service ‘Whitehallese’ jargon, nor BBC ‘Birtspeak‘ have anything at all to do with ‘English as she is spoke’ in these islands.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you go to Oriental restaurants Kingstonian?
Yes. I also go to Indian restaurants though they are often owned by Sylhettis, who are not actually from India.

I have never been to this one though :-
Colindale is not that convenient though I heard it has a lot of Chinese places.

I usually go to Chinatown, if we are still allowed to call it that, or else somewhere more local.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah you're one of those anti-woke people.

The Spectator​

William Atkinson

Oxford’s Oriental name change is a mistake​

The university's rebrand makes little sense​

• 21 September 2022, 1:08pm
Oxford’s Faculty of Oriental Studies has had a name change: it will now be known as the Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. University bigwigs opted to drop the word ‘oriental’ over fears that it might be too outdated and potentially offensive. This is a small-minded attack on a great and important subject. It’s also a distraction from the university’s real problems.
The word’s presence in the faculty’s name hasn’t stopped Oxford from acceptingmore students from China, India, and the rest of what we once knew as the ‘Orient’ than ever previously – just as Cecil Rhodes’ statue hasn’t prevented the university from having more black students than ever before. So if this name change is unlikely to do much to increase the university’s welcome diversity, what’s really going on?
Professor David Rechter, the faculty board’s chairman, said that many ‘considered the word ‘oriental’ to be inappropriate’. The new name, he said, better reflects the ‘breadth and diversity of academic activity’. Such a decision – which comes after 18 months of consultation with students and staff – is hardly unprecedented. The University of London’s School of Oriental and African studies changed its name to SOAS in 2013, though not its penchant for hosting a greater number of questionable speakers than any other UK university.
Oxford’s sudden name shift reflects the university’s ongoing moral panic over its colonial history
Oxford’s sudden shift reflects the university’s ongoing moral panic over its colonial history. It also shows that the pernicious influence of one of the most tedious but damaging books of the twentieth century – Edward Said’s Orientalism – is alive and well. Since the book’s publication in 1978, the term ‘orientalism’ has permeated through academia. It has become shorthand for referring to a supposed patronising and bigoted tendency within the West towards Middle Eastern, North African, and Asian societies.

According to Said, by viewing these places as lands of Aladdin-style kingdoms of golden splendours and mysterious religions, we Westerners have fabricated a version of the East to be used at the service of the left’s favourite bugbear: imperialism. By doing so, we have created a myth of eastern cultures designed solely to make the West seem more impressive and civilised by comparison.
Far better scholars than me have long sinceshowed up Said’s work as full of holes, inaccuracies, and spurious assertions. But it has still had a revolutionary effect within academia. His belief that almost all Western students of the Middle East (excepting, of course, those who gave him nice reviews) were pawns of imperialism and Zionism has long since become orthodoxy. Unfortunately for Oxford, this myopia erases a long history of reverent scholarship.
Yes, the subject of Oriental Studies itself dates back to 19th century. Unsurprisingly, during a period of imperial expansion, having a growing number of colonial administrators able to speak Sanskrit, Burmese, and Persian was a going concern. The Oriental Institute opened in 1961, just as decolonisation marked the end of Britain’s time as an imperial power.
But rather than just exist as a finishing school for bureaucrats, the study of eastern cultures and societies has been going on at Oxford from the appointment of the first professor of Hebrew in the 17th century. The first students of Arabic might have been reading the Koran out of a Christian duty to rebut its heresies. But as the university expanded, it produced generations of fine students of the Oriental world, who treated the subject with appropriate respect, rather than patronising arrogance.

Anthony Eden, for example, graduated with a Double First in Persian and Arabic. He later put that to good use in his attempt to save the Middle East from its own appalling leadership. And a city that produced T. E. Lawrence can hardly be said to not have taken the Orient seriously.
The perception that Oriental Studies is somehow a course wracked by self-loathing, or an irrelevant imperial hangover, is sad. It puts students off studying it at a time when it is more relevant than ever. Tensions in the Middle East have overshadowed my whole life, while the growth of North Africa and the very real threat of 21st century Chinese imperialism upends the world order. Not since the days when a quarter of the world was imperial pink has studying the East been more urgent.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry to keep this thread off topic, but it just blows my mind how dug in people get about changing the words they use to describe things when people find them offensive…it’s such an odd hill to die on.

Language is constantly updating and changing…see example below, no one would rationally argue that calling a child marsupialed now would be proper even though it once was

Edit - r*tarded is so ubiquitously considered offensive, that the forrum automatically changes it to “marsupial”

IMG_7432.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads