• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

conak

Reaction score
Thanks US grant and Zipphyh for the clarification. Don't get me wrong, I still like and purchase many of their items, including their newer models, and I would love to have some of the black label stuff. I'm just worried at the general trend toward mass production and outsourcing (though kudos to them for bringing several of the items back to domestic production.). The fact they moved from 26 oz to 24 oz on the mackinaw items is an example of my concern. Why did the wool get thinner and the prices go higher? I do have a 24 oz coat, and I love it, but I hate that their goal now seems to just be better than other outdoors clothing lines, not to be the best they can and blow the rest away

jakeypotato

Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy Filson on sale? Im looking to buy a tin cloth cruiser. unless quality is going down under then I might buy a barbour

US Grant

Reaction score
The quality isn't going down (a few exceptions here and there but that's always been the case for any brand). Depending on the item, sometimes it's a reduction in the fabric (ie the Mackinaw is now 24oz vs 26oz like my original 110). That said for your case, the tin cloth is still the same and is absolutely bomb proof. It is extremely durable and tough- you'll be breaking it in for quite awhile.

As for sale, Filson is pretty rigourous about keeping full retail. Exceptions have been a few luggage pieces on Brooks Brothers and Need Supply had a Tin Cruiser on sale, but the lined dry Tin version. If you are willing to wait it out you could probably eventually find it on sale somewhere but the classics are even harder to find on sale.

Crane's Country Store is always a good bet- you just have to call and they'll hook you up!

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to unload some 256 and 257, see sigs (not sure if its ok, if not, please remove)

Last edited:

MrHappyHappy

Reaction score
Filson 240 in Tan:

0.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wquiles

Reaction score
These are my vintage (new to me) Filson Cruisers. Under the Cruisers I am wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, and a cotton sweater. The first one is the older Mackinaw cruiser (style 110), in Forest Green, size 40. The second is an older Filson Forestry Cloth Cruiser (style 16), also in size 40:

Close-up on the labels and color comparisons:

Last edited:

wquiles

Reaction score
As expected, the Mackinaw Cruiser is significantly thicker than the Forestry Cruiser:

I also have a 1949 Navy Peacoat, so here are their weights for comparison:
- Vintage Forestry Cloth Cruiser = 2 lb, 2.5 oz (supposed to be 18oz wool)
- Vintage Mackinaw Cruiser = 3 lb, 10 oz (supposed to be 26oz wool)
- 1949 Navy Peacoat = 4 lb, 6.6 oz (supposed to be 32oz wool)

Will

red81

Reaction score
just ordered a tin cruiser in the sf fit (size L). i'm 5'11, 185, hopefully it'll fit me right.

red81

Reaction score
If "sf fit" means seattle fit, I imagine it'll be a bit large on you. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs, and the medium (in the lined Seattle Cruiser in Mackinaw Wool) fits me just right (albeit a bit snug with a thick sweater underneath).

yeah, i thought seattle fit was supposed to be slimmer.
also, edit on my post above: just changed my order to the short cruiser jacket. the reviews had a couple guys roughly my size who said seattle was slimmer; oh well, guess i can always exchange it, keeping my fingers crossed.

i have one of their tin vests and it's a size 42 and perfect fit.

cathpah

Reaction score
yeah, i thought seattle fit was supposed to be slimmer.
also, edit on my post above: just changed my order to the short cruiser jacket. the reviews had a couple guys roughly my size who said seattle was slimmer; oh well, guess i can always exchange it, keeping my fingers crossed.

i have one of their tin vests and it's a size 42 and perfect fit.
Just found this post. It might help.

wquiles

Reaction score
By the way, I will be visiting Seattle for business in 3 weeks, and I would like to visit their store (signature store?). Is this the correct address?

1555 4th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134

Will

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads