• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

milw50717

Reaction score

First, like I mentioned I purchased a pair of Grasmere boot. I had Shoe Healer put on micro soles. Rich and the Michelle are a pleasure to deal with - as you all know. I never had the 4497 last before and when I tried them on the were quite tight across the instep. So much so that I put them up for sale on eBay. There were no takers. So I said the heck with it - I used a heavy pair of wool socks and did a 4 mile hike in 5 inches of fresh snow. Then I shoveled for a couple of hours. The boots broke in great! They are quite light and became extremely comfortable . And the leather is near impervious to water and snow (though there is a coat of Filson boot oil on them). The micro sole worked great in snow - better than my Dainite soles and they don’t track in snow like lug soles. I am so glad that no one bought them when I had them up for bid. A superior boot! I think we will be friends for a long time....

Good to see another Grasmere owner on the forum. I love mine in the winter months. It may just be a trick of the light, but yours appear a little redder in colour than mine. Was this a MTO boot ?

Also, I think your auction for the Grasmere boots is still live. You may want to cancel it.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered these from End clothing. Roll on the Fedex van arriving on monday.

Was debating these myself. Decided to go with a pair of marron stows instead.

evanl

Reaction score
After reading this entire thread twice, and then agonizing over which color and what kind of sole I wanted, I finally got my first pair of Stows. I really wanted either the beechnut or coffee colors with a dainite or commando sole, but Richard at Shoehealer said that would've been an expensive MTO. Luckily, just a few days later these acorn Stows with dainite soles showed up on the site.

I absolutely love them. I was worried the color might be too light, but it looks fantastic. They got a lot of looks on the subway and a lot of compliments at work. They were stiff at first but they're starting to break in. My first pair of high-end shoes and I was not disappointed.

Andreas1965

Reaction score
After reading this entire thread twice, and then agonizing over which color and what kind of sole I wanted, I finally got my first pair of Stows. I really wanted either the beechnut or coffee colors with a dainite or commando sole, but Richard at Shoehealer said that would've been an expensive MTO. Luckily, just a few days later these acorn Stows with dainite soles showed up on the site.

I absolutely love them. I was worried the color might be too light, but it looks fantastic. They got a lot of looks on the subway and a lot of compliments at work. They were stiff at first but they're starting to break in. My first pair of high-end shoes and I was not disappointed.
This is funny, I received the same model yesterday, also from Shoe Healer.
Richard was so helpful and friendly, it was such a pleasure doing business with him.

The boot's color is (in my eyes) just right. I love these boots!! Gave them a coating of Obenauf, they darkened a little bit (pics taken prior to Obenauf treatment), but this morning they turned out being lighter colored again. The darkening with Obenauf seems to vanish when the substance is completely sucked into the leather.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take a 9UK on the 4497, 9 on Barrie longwings, 9.5 on Barrie boots

the 4497 has generous width, but i need the 9UK for the length

Similar experience for me: 9D Brannock and I take a UK8½ on the 4497 (need it for the length too) and US8½D on Barrie LWB. I had a pair of US8½D Barrie wingtip boots that didn't quite work out, so I'm guessing I'd need to go TTS 9D on Barrie boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads