• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Mag: Gilt selling merch made for Gilt

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
All posts in this thread are being held in a member's shopping cart.

Members have ten minutes to decide, after which the posts may become available for harrumphs.

- B

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
All posts in this thread are being held in a member's shopping cart.

Members have ten minutes to decide, after which the posts may become available for harrumphs.

- B

worship.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by japhi
No idea who SoCal is and I don't have any concerns, just an observation.

SoCal2NYC is a forum member and also one of Gilt's menswear buyers.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Gilt just posted another response in the affiliate thread - they are saying that Gilt specific items are/will still be the same quality as normal channel items, if this is so I have absolutely no issue (ie, using old fabrics) but still think they should ID them in some way.

In any case I just bought 5 more items from them...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
That change got me to click on this thread. Some company that relies mainly on marketing to generate sales should hire you!

Call me Don Draper. My services are available to the highest bidder, assuming the bid is high enough and the expectation of actual work is low enough.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Gilt just posted another response in the affiliate thread - they are saying that Gilt specific items are/will still be the same quality as normal channel items, if this is so I have absolutely no issue (ie, using old fabrics) but still think they should ID them in some way.

In any case I just bought 5 more items from them...

Ah, but that's a sneaky way of wording things. I believe they could include "outlet malls" as a normal channel and not be telling a lie.

I know for a fact that they sell outlet stuff because I bought some JV boot from them that where made in China, lower quality then mainline and I have only seen elsewhere at Off Saks.

Having said that, I kept the boots because I do like them and think the price I paid for them ($150) was more then fair for what they are.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Gilt just posted another response in the affiliate thread - they are saying that Gilt specific items are/will still be the same quality as normal channel items, if this is so I have absolutely no issue (ie, using old fabrics) but still think they should ID them in some way. In any case I just bought 5 more items from them...
I think you're reading a lot into that statement. They won't compromise craftsmanship ... compared to what? The manufacturer's regular lines or Gilt's standards? They appear to be confirming that the manufacturer will offshore production to a cheaper country where the item will be made by different people using potentially different cloth. Yet it's exactly the same? This sort of business ...
Originally Posted by GiltGroupe
If it is done in the future the original MSRP listed would be reflective of that. If a suit is $1995 MSRP and made in Italy under label X and we have label X make us the suit in Turkey we would probably list it at what label X and we feel comfortable at which would be $1195 MSRP.
... requires a lot more faith in Gilt than I'm feeling at the moment. It's no different than Ralph saying "Trust me, the outlet stuff is worth the full outlet price, only I'm not going to let you see it in person, not going to tell you it's made for the outlet, and not going to let you get your money back if you don't like it."

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What are you talking about - who said anything about a mag replacing personal experience? Pretty much everyone I know here gets the NY Mag - it's like $20 a year... How can it not be "worth" it? Just the Cheap Eats and Best Eats issues alone are worth the $20. The other fifty issues are gravy And yeah, I like to know about new places around my hood - why not. Do you have a rag that tells you about new places around your hood?
I don't know anyone that subscribes to it. Outside of my dentist. I have heard people joke about subcribing more than anything. On occasion, someone does forward me a link.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

... requires a lot more faith in Gilt than I'm feeling at the moment. It's no different than Ralph saying "Trust me, the outlet stuff is worth the full outlet price, only I'm not going to let you see it in person, not going to tell you it's made for the outlet, and not going to let you get your money back if you don't like it."

I agree. Couple this with the fact that Gilt has been ousted for exaggerating MSRPs. Gilt, however, said this was oversight and correcting this mistake would require more manpower, which equals higher prices.

They have every incentive to balloon MSRPs (hypes the sale more).

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by japhi
No idea who SoCal is and I don't have any concerns, just an observation.

Somewhere a skirt suit just bristled, harkening to its master that infamy might be in peril.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I don't know anyone that subscribes to it. Outside of my dentist. I have heard people joke about subcribing more than anything. On occasion, someone does forward me a link.

How surprising...

So, what do you think of Cucinelli?

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
In Gilt's defense,

everything I have purchased from them was clearly listed at the correct MSRP and was not unique to Gilt. I have gotten some amazing deals on Gilt and will continue to be a happy customer.

This is SF. We're supposed to be informed customers. It's not hard to verify if something on Gilt has been sold through the normal outlets (go to Saks.com, the designers website, and so on).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads