• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 16, 2015

Emoore17

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having the hardest time finding a suit. I am 6'4". This is a 41L Michael Kors modern fit suit. My thighs are big, so it's almost like a slim fit for me after I get it altered in the leg. Is this length acceptable? I need guidance because I am getting mix results. One guy said its not even worth tailoring because it will look like I am wearing someone else's clothes. The guy suggested this suit (jacket length).

I know the traditional suit should be longer, but I am not looking for traditional. I want a true modern/slim fit. Please help me. I'm going crazy. Thanks in advance.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Those look much more formal. However, I guess I'll have to stick with something more casual as I don't want buttons (afraid of the old-man look).

I'll see if i can find something similar but with a zipper...

Well, as an old man myself, it's a look I have to embrace!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But I do have to disagree with your characterization. I think the button-front sweater-vest is a pretty casual item of clothing. I haven't poked around the entirety of Smedley's website, but I don't know if there is a product that is a lightweight Merino wool sweater with a zip front. Are you looking for a full-length zipper?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having the hardest time finding a suit. I am 6'4". This is a 41L Michael Kors modern fit suit. My thighs are big, so it's almost like a slim fit for me after I get it altered in the leg. Is this length acceptable? I need guidance because I am getting mix results. One guy said its not even worth tailoring because it will look like I am wearing someone else's clothes. The guy suggested this suit (jacket length).
I know the traditional suit should be longer, but I am not looking for traditional. I want a true modern/slim fit. Please help me. I'm going crazy. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, Emoore. It's hard to say for sure with those pictures, but the length looks alright. If you can get some better shots, that would be helpful. You can also get some great advice on fit from the tailors thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

Best of luck!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm far from an expert on this forum, but the jacket length looks pretty good in these pictures. It might be a touch tight in the chest, but it's hard to say.

Emoore17

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, Emoore.  It's hard to say for sure with those pictures, but the length looks alright.  If you can get some better shots, that would be helpful.  You can also get some great advice on fit from the tailors thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

Best of luck!

Thanks for the thread adjustment! I didn't know there is thread for things like that. I will post in there also! Thanks for your help!
I'm far from an expert on this forum, but the jacket length looks pretty good in these pictures. It might be a touch tight in the chest, but it's hard to say. 

Thanks! A question for both of you. Usually, what is the rule of thumb for fit for something like this fit?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question for both of you. Usually, what is the rule of thumb for fit for something like this fit?

If the buttons are pulling or the lapels bow, the jacket is generally too tight. Chest looks fine in the grey suit, and jacket length looks fine, sleeves look a little short, but that could be fixed at the tailor.

Last edited:

Asca1

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a long-time lurker but first-time poster to this forum--I have always very much enjoyed the wealth of insight that can be found here.

I just received my shipment of an eHaberdasher Benjamin Classico II suit in charcoal grey (http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/designers/benjamin/benjamin-sartorial-suit-36s-1.html). I am stoked about the quality of the suit as it is a step up from anything else I have and I am only a few months into my professional career in which I wear a suit on a daily basis.

I am concerned about the fit, however. The shoulders are fine, but the shape is still pretty boxy. I'm a pretty small guy (5'7" 140lbs) so I have trouble with most of my clothing fitting around the torso properly--for example, all of my dress shirts have to be aggressively tailored in the torso, no matter how slim a shirt I buy to begin with. I don't really have the means to get a good picture of the fit, but I estimate that the waist in the jacket could stand to be suppressed by a good 2-3 inches. It is a side-vented jacket, and suit jackets are an area of tailoring that I don't know a whole lot about, so I'm looking for opinions before I do something to make the suit non-returnable.

TLDR: is a waist suppression of approximately 2-3" within the realm of safe alterations for a side-vented suit jacket?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Koramatsu4

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a nice outfit for prom. I'll be wearing a charcoal suit. The one I want is this one (https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/suiting/PRDOVR~47226/47226.jsp) from J. Crew, but it's too expensive so I'm looking for it, or a cheaper alternative, on ebay for less than $150. My school's dress code requires simply a jacket and tie, but I'd like to keep my look more on the formal side. Have any suggestions for a shirt, tie, and pocket square combination?

Some Information about me:
~Blonde Hair
~Blue eyes
~160 lbs
~5'11"

Thank you in advance :)

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, asca. Do you have a smart phone with a camera and timer app? I don't feel comfortable making any suggestions without seeing pictures.

Asca1

Reaction score
Thank you for pressing me for pictures. They're pretty awful quality, but I think I managed to rig enough lighting in my otherwise-dark apartment. The more I think about it and see the pictures, I do have a couple of thoughts based on seeing the pictures rather than myself in a mirror with mediocre lighting:

http://imgur.com/a/C68wW

The more I look at the pictures, I have a little bit of concern for the shoulders. Part of it is caused by movement from trying to get into position and making sure my iPad stays still and level on the bookshelf, but there is a little bit of a divot in the shoulders, I think. Pretty minor, I think, but I defer opinion on the finer points of suit fit to the people here who know way more than I do.

The sleeves are a touch long, but the sleeve buttons come un-attached, so that should be a pretty straightforward fix if I decide to keep it and get it tailored, seeing as I would have to get them sewn on, anyway.

I do love the suit; full canvas construction at that price point seems like a steal. The option to purchase an additional pair of matching trousers is something I almost consider a necessity, which is my main gripe with SuitSupply and why I haven't tried ordering a suit there, instead. But, this is a significant step up in my suit game, both quality and cost, so I want to make sure that it is a good enough fit.

Thanks for any input.

Edit: actually, the more I think about it, would I not be better served by sizing down to a 34S instead? I think the measurements for the Classico II went up after I ordered, so I was just estimating a 36S based on everything else I wear. But, now that I have access to the measurements, I see that they are:

37 chest, 34 waist, 16.8 shoulders for the 34S, compared to
39 chest, 36 waist, 17.15 shoulders for the 36S.

I'm not sure how much allowance I need to make for the chest, as my chest measures right at 35", but it seems like the .35" less in the shoulders could alleviate the divot issue. The smaller waist would likely alleviate the need to suppress the waist, as well.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a tailor, but I see a couple things. First off, you definitely don't need 2-3" taken out of the waist. I'm not seeing the shoulder issue you see, but if you are taking about the ripples at the top of the sleeves, that is the sleeve pitch. The chest looks like it is bowing a bit so I don't know if sizing down is a good idea, but it's hard to say. If you want some expert advice, post here with clear front, back and side shots:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

Best of luck.

Asca1

Reaction score
Makes sense. So I guess it comes down to those couple of things (and unfortunately, I don't think more extensive/quality fit pics are feasible before I have to start considering returning it).

The sleeve pitch makes sense, and I think I create the problem or at least exacerbate it by posing for pictures. I tried re-taking the pictures and noticed that, in the course of trying to make sure I'm properly in the frame for the timer, I over-exaggerate my posture by pushing my shoulders further back than I would normally hold them. When I look at myself with the jacket on in a more natural posture, the rippling is much less noticeable.

Also, like I said, I realized after I looked a while longer that my perception of inches is wildly inaccurate. I feel like it could be a little more slim, but maybe to such a small extent that it's not worth altering.

I guess the bottom line is, I'm on the fence between going ahead with alterations and returning it if the fit isn't right. This is made worse because my suit experience is pretty limited at this point in my life. Do you, or anyone else, have an opinion as to whether it's worth keeping or if I should try to look elsewhere for a better fit?

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can definitely work with that, but if you are not happy with the cut/style, then why not try a couple other makers? Not sure if you knew this but you can special order an extra pair of Suit Supply trousers. Just call a store that offers MTM service and you can order the same size as the suit and in the same fabric. The price isn't bad. I think an extra pair of trousers in the same fabric as their staple navy Napoli was $200.

Asca1

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy, just insecure. This is my first foray into higher quality suiting than the fused suits I owned for interviews during law school, which have bridged me into the first few months of my professional career. I am a neophyte to the subject and knew from lurking that people here would have much more seasoned and reliable opinions.

If you think that it's a workable fit, that eases my concerns considerably.

Thanks for your help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads