• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I really want a linen or linen blend grey glen plaid with patch pockets to wear with white pants in the summer.

That could work, in my opinion. People need to remember that Glen plaid is a design, not a cloth, and its appropriateness as either suiting or jacketing depends on other factors.

Cheers,

Ac

dghealy

Reaction score
I am very much bothered by the prospect of putting him in an orphaned suit jacket. I always see a more pronounced plaid as a sport coat. I wish I knew how to be sure.

colco

Reaction score
Well, you mentioned court. I'd go for as sober a look as possible if he is going to be part of a legal proceeding. I wouldn't wear a plaid sport coat unless I had no other options.

Suntory

Reaction score
Well, you mentioned court. I'd go for as sober a look as possible if he is going to be part of a legal proceeding. I wouldn't wear a plaid sport coat unless I had no other options.
Unless her husband is the Judge or Jury, then it shouldn't matter. Depending on which jurisdiction and whether the Courts have dispensed with their robes/gown. Like the Supreme Court in UK had their robes dispensed and even some District Courts I believe.

Hotjock

Reaction score
Trying to get some advice on making my first bespoke suit. I have found the tailor in Budapest, bought the material and have the idea - see photo. Grateful if you
could point me to the appropriate thread as all the threads in bespoke seem to be quite specific.

Suntory

Reaction score
Is it alright to have a suit unbuttoned if you're walking around sitting up and down and walking again in an office so often?

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score
**URGENT REQUEST** LOL, Hey there.. i am kinda new to this...I'm hoping you can help me! I am looking for and would like to purchase **Ralph Lauren Purple Label**(RLPL) plaid cooper 100% cashmere workshirt (has suede application behind collar that says Ralph Lauren). Also would like to buy a **RLPL cream and black plaid 62% wool, 19%cashmere 19%angora shirt jacket**(this shirt jacket has a leather trim on end of cuffs)!! Can you PLEASE get the word out or post this in the correct forum. I am interested in any size new or pre-owned. These can be viewed on Lyst.com or google search..these shirt jackets are very thick and soft and are made in Italy. Thank You very much. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Regards,
Sean
Damn these Spambots are good.

oxnume

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a first suit mainly for upcoming medical school interviews and fancier social events.

I was originally hoping to buy a charcoal one since that is the most versatile. However, I found a Strellson suit at a consignment store priced $350 and I like the way it fits on me better than anything I've tried on from the big box stores so far. The only issue is it is slightly brown and patterned (see 1st picture for comparison against my dark brown jacket). It also has a slight sheen, which the store owner said was because of the slight silk content.

I do like the way this suit fits and the price, however I do not know much about suits aside from reading some basic suit guides so I am worried about the formality and versatility of this suit due to the color/pattern/sheen. Would this suit be appropriate for medical school interviews? What about for social events (wedding/fancier dinners/plays)?

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a first suit mainly for upcoming medical school interviews and fancier social events.

I was originally hoping to buy a charcoal one since that is the most versatile. However, I found a Strellson suit at a consignment store priced $350 and I like the way it fits on me better than anything I've tried on from the big box stores so far. The only issue is it is slightly brown and patterned (see 1st picture for comparison against my dark brown jacket). It also has a slight sheen, which the store owner said was because of the slight silk content.

I do like the way this suit fits and the price, however I do not know much about suits aside from reading some basic suit guides so I am worried about the formality and versatility of this suit due to the color/pattern/sheen. Would this suit be appropriate for medical school interviews? What about for social events (wedding/fancier dinners/plays)?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying to get some advice on making my first bespoke suit. I have found the tailor in Budapest, bought the material and have the idea - see photo. Grateful if you could point me to the appropriate thread as all the threads in bespoke seem to be quite specific.

What questions do you have?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it alright to have a suit unbuttoned if you're walking around sitting up and down and walking again in an office so often?

If it's alright to you, sure. Right or wrong, my jacket is buttoned less than 10% of my day.

Welcome to the forum, oxume. I don't like the sheen on that suit at all. Personally, I would pass on it.

Hotjock

Reaction score

What questions do you have?

Is there anything in particular I should be considering for a bespoke suit that you wouldn't in a RTW suit?

I have chosen a RTW suit image that I like and thus asking the tailor in essence to copy, but through bespoke I am looking to get a great fit and feel a million dollars when I am wearing it.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there anything in particular I should be considering for a bespoke suit that you wouldn't in a RTW suit?

I have chosen a RTW suit image that I like and thus asking the tailor in essence to copy, but through bespoke I am looking to get a great fit and feel a million dollars when I am wearing it.

Yeah, it's not quite that simple. Do you know if the tailor is even capable and/ or willing to do that type of cut? Every tailor has a house cut and while some might tell you they can do whatever you want, it's best to stick with what they do best. If you don't like the house cut, find another tailor. I haven't even started my first bespoke commission yet, but if you do your research, that's what you will find. You can always ask questions in the Ongoing Bespoke thread or the Unfunded Liabilties....the guys with a lot of bespoke experience are in there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads