• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I currently have three pairs of shoes that I rotate between (Allen Edmonds McAllister, Magnani boots, and White's Bounty Hunters). I want something slightly more casual, but along the same style (i.e. I don't want to wear sneakers). I want to be able to wear the shoes just about anywhere. Would my best option be penny loafers or is there some other shoe that would work for me? Also, is there a huge quality difference between getting loafers from Quoddy versus Alden? In other words, is the cost increase worth it?

Sounds like you need some chukkas. Alden unlined are my favorite.

Ali29

Reaction score
Sounds like you need some chukkas. Alden unlined are my favorite.

My concern with chukkas is that I already have two pairs of boots and only one real pair of shoes. I was hoping not to over stock on boots in my collection as I live in AZ and boots tend to not feel great in extreme heat.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shortwing derby then in a suede or pebble grain...C&J Pembroke is a good example.

kentluvmusic

Reaction score
I recently bought two dress shirts for comparison:Gitman Bros.Point Collar Pinpoint and J. Press Pinpoint Plain Point Oxford.
Tried both on and found the Gitman fabric too thin and the collar points too long. On the other hand I loved the J.Press for its better collar length and above all how comfortable it was to wear.
Gitman went to Goodwill.
I now desire to purchase a spread collar dress shirt, but there is no such thing at J. Press. I don't trust Gitman.
Any ideas for me to check online?
I can't do slim fit shirts-I am middle-aged going on senior citizen and have the standard 10 lbs. too round belly.
Thanks for any guidance.
Am open to imported shirts but would prefer American made ones.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recently bought two dress shirts for comparison:Gitman Bros.Point Collar Pinpoint and J. Press Pinpoint Plain Point Oxford.
Tried both on and found the Gitman fabric too thin and the collar points too long. On the other hand I loved the J.Press for its better collar length and above all how comfortable it was to wear.
Gitman went to Goodwill.
I now desire to purchase a spread collar dress shirt, but there is no such thing at J. Press. I don't trust Gitman.
Any ideas for me to check online?
I can't do slim fit shirts-I am middle-aged going on senior citizen and have the standard 10 lbs. too round belly.
Thanks for any guidance.
Am open to imported shirts but would prefer American made ones.

Welcome to the forum, Kent. Have you tried Brooks Brothers yet?

kentluvmusic

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. One model at Brooks sounds like a possibility. They have a retail store in my town-I will check it out.

Suntory

Reaction score
The first looks closest to the wide spread 2 button and the second the wide spread...but that's just the closest resemblance to the collars you posted. I don't think either of them are point collars.
Almost forgot to say thanks. Thanks.

A 2 button spread would almost transform me into a no-neck. I'll go for the 1 button spread/

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. One model at Brooks sounds like a possibility. They have a retail store in my town-I will check it out.

cheers.gif

Almost forgot to say thanks. Thanks.

A 2 button spread would almost transform me into a no-neck. I'll go for the 1 button spread/

cheers.gif

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Is there a huge CM thread about classic shirting, leaning more toward bespoke or mtm than off-the-rack?
I'm looking for discussion of different brands of shirt topics like the following:

- shirt makers (make, techniques used, cost, etc.)
- shirting fabric mills (fabric types, where they're made, who uses them, etc.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Reaction score
New to the forum and new to boots. I am looking to get my feet into a leather "work" boot for casual office wear with jeans. I like the looks of the Red Wing Iron Ranger or Wolverine 1000 boot. I think I would prefer the look of a captoe but am open to plain toe as well. I would like to get a boot with goodyear welting and full grain leather upper. Is there a consensus brand/boot in this category that is considered best bang for the buck? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Tux Stain

Reaction score
New to the forum and new to boots. I am looking to get my feet into a leather "work" boot for casual office wear with jeans. I like the looks of the Red Wing Iron Ranger or Wolverine 1000 boot. I think I would prefer the look of a captoe but am open to plain toe as well. I would like to get a boot with goodyear welting and full grain leather upper. Is there a consensus brand/boot in this category that is considered best bang for the buck? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
A tad more dressy than what you are currently considering, but check out the To Boot New York Stallworth in a brown color. Decent bang/buck ratio for a nice looking cap toe. I am considering a pair myself.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there a huge CM thread about classic shirting, leaning more toward bespoke or mtm than off-the-rack?
I'm looking for discussion of different brands of shirt topics like the following:

- shirt makers (make, techniques used, cost, etc.)
- shirting fabric mills (fabric types, where they're made, who uses them, etc.)

Thanks!

There really isn't a dedicated thread for bespoke shirts. The MTM Affiliate Vendors each have their own, but nothing major for bespoke. You'll find a couple here and there about a few makers, but not anything substantial...that I know of. For fabrics, ask here http://www.styleforum.net/t/56404/unfunded-liabilities-a-k-a-the-cloth-thread

Nillep

Reaction score
First to let you all know, this is my very first post so I'm sorry for any mistakes.

Also, English is not my native language.

I'm a 17 year old boy, who likes dressing a little bit more "up" than the average boy. I only wore a tie one time in my whole life, but I'm thinking about changing that ;)
My thought was to wear a dark blue v-neck sweater with a white dress shirt underneath, pretty casual i would say. But to spice it a little bit more up for parties and such i would need a tie.

what would you recommend as a tie?

Regards
Nille

Maybe this one? http://www.bugana.dk/slips/deangelo.html

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First to let you all know, this is my very first post so I'm sorry for any mistakes.

Also, English is not my native language.

I'm a 17 year old boy, who likes dressing a little bit more "up" than the average boy. I only wore a tie one time in my whole life, but I'm thinking about changing that ;)
My thought was to wear a dark blue v-neck sweater with a white dress shirt underneath, pretty casual i would say. But to spice it a little bit more up for parties and such i would need a tie.

what would you recommend as a tie?

Regards
Nille

Maybe this one? http://www.bugana.dk/slips/deangelo.html

Welcome to the forum, young man. Yes, it can be done but a white shirt isn't the best option. Something a little more casual like a Oxford cloth button down would be nice. A repp tie would give it a nice Trad Ivy vibe.

Nillep

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, young man. Yes, it can be done but a white shirt isn't the best option. Something a little more casual like a Oxford cloth button down would be nice. A repp tie would give it a nice Trad Ivy vibe.

Thank you!

Do you have any links or pictures so i know more specific what to look for? :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics