• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

illiterate

Reaction score
Anybody heading to the sample sale next week? Let us know how it goes! How have previous years been?

Also, email explicitly mentions MHL and not the mainline. Curious if that's on purpose.

triton

Reaction score
Might head along, but they've been getting progressively worse over the last couple of years. They've always had both mainline and MHL in the past

oilbased

Reaction score
Just curious, as I’ve never managed to get to any of the sample sales, but in what way have they got worse? Last year I got an invite from one of the stores to an early preview the day before but not this time. Hope I haven’t upset anyone!!

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anybody goes to this sample sale (or even one of the sale stores) and happens across a pair of the linen two pleat shorts in a Large/34, please buy for me and I’ll give you a nice finders fee.
Either colour.
IMG_7696.jpeg
IMG_7695.jpeg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I very much regret not buying a pair

I can’t find anything else as good

Btw, would anybody here be interesting in this slate drill big pocket jacket, size X

Bought from a friend and fellow forum member a while back but just haven’t ever worn it. Like new with tags
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody heading to the sample sale next week? Let us know how it goes! How have previous years been?

Also, email explicitly mentions MHL and not the mainline. Curious if that's on purpose.
I went to the preview this week. Yes they are getting progressively worse. There is less stock and less quality stock. There's a combination of reasons; I see better quality pieces tending to sell out at full retail – there are now two Sale Stores in the the UK so more stuff doesn't get to the Sample Sale. There was quite a bit of outwear there that I would have purchased but just wasn't in my size - sometimes you luck out on the size but more often you don't. Yes there was more MHL than Mainline. I ended up just purchasing a Mainline shirt - in the past I'd often leave with two large bag fulls of stuff. I'd say don't go out of your way to go, you will probably be disappointed - if there's something you really want buy it on first season retail Sale or through the Sale store.

Last edited:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody goes to this sample sale (or even one of the sale stores) and happens across a pair of the linen two pleat shorts in a Large/34, please buy for me and I’ll give you a nice finders fee.
Either colour.
I was after a pair of these in Navy and eventually tried a pair on at the Sale Store last year and was hugely disappointed - they just didn't work for me. I ended up picking up some MHL indigo twill shorts from SS23 collection which I was happier with. MHL subsequently released some denim shorts last season which I believe they carried over (Carpenter Short £245). Didn't notice any shorts at the Sample Sale.

sandmountain

Reaction score
I was after a pair of these in Navy and eventually tried a pair on at the Sale Store last year and was hugely disappointed - they just didn't work for me. I ended up picking up some MHL indigo twill shorts from SS23 collection which I was happier with. MHL subsequently released some denim shorts last season which I believe they carried over (Carpenter Short £245). Didn't notice any shorts at the Sample Sale.
I’ve been thinking of getting the Carpenters Short, have you seen them in person and if so what were your impressions?

And have you/anyone else here bought any of the MHL x Canton jeans? They seem a bit pricey, but I like the unique designs.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carpenter shorts look yucky.
Jorts are a step too far for me if im being honest but I do really like the wide leg shorts this season, i just loved that crunchy linen on the two pleat shorts

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of getting the Carpenters Short, have you seen them in person and if so what were your impressions?

And have you/anyone else here bought any of the MHL x Canton jeans? They seem a bit pricey, but I like the unique designs.
I have not seen them in person. I note that they are made by Canton and I'm not a fan of the Canton jeans - they just happened to be the closest thing to the Indigo Twill shorts I picked up. I will take some photos of the shorts and post them up later - they may have some at Margaret St. They are 2 pleats with two front and two back patch pockets and have a buttoned waistband.
Carpenter shorts look yucky.
Jorts are a step too far for me if im being honest but I do really like the wide leg shorts this season, i just loved that crunchy linen on the two pleat shorts
The linen on those shorts is not crunchy - it's a light-weight linen and the drape was pretty much shapeless. The fit is large and baggy. I was surprised because they looked good in the fit photos but they just didn't look great in person, but maybe they will work for you.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the same linen as the drawstring trousers I have from that season, which I love. Maybe "crunchy" is the wrong word, but i really like it.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the shorts. I sized up to an X - they measure 18.25" flat so basically a 36 in a size X. They use an unusual hook for the closure. I don't remember the style name but I've included the swing tag which shows the style code.

IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1604.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads