• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Rugs in Classical Spaces

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've always been of the impression that rugs should be Orientals in classic tribal styles.

But we're going to be moving in a while to a rather dark, wood-dominated space that is also a bit quirky from a design standpoint and while Orientals would look great there I'm afraid they'll be a little overly dark and maybe a little bit too staid. I'm considering something a bit more modern, but I'm having a tough time finding inspiration or understanding what direction to go.

Anyone have any thoughts?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your house is a similar to my old place and there I had modern rugs with graphic stripes, traditional nepalese and a very large white flokati. That wood will accept a variety of styles. Take a look a Dolma in NYC; http://www.dolmarugs.com/

Any new pics?

lefty

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
a solid light toned rug would look great depending on the rest of the furniture. My parents have a room downstairs that is a lot of dark wood...they did a small area in light marble and added a cream rug and it looks really nice.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look through the posts from the past few weeks on www.apartmenttherapy.com - there was a section on Native American/Pendleton patterns in modern design settings and some of them looked ridiculously good.

bwp

Reaction score
Go with a solid color and find an interesting fabric, patterned rugs get a bit long in the tooth over time.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to think the opposite works much better. If mordecai has a good source for NA rugs, I'd be interested in knowing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Pendleton used to have some nice ones, as well as some interesting Caucasian styles that I think are still being sold. There is a huge market for them in Los Angeles so good ones show up at every Rose Bowl and PCC flea market. However, there is even bigger demand in Japan, so Japanese decorators and collectors purchase booth space in order to see what's available early, and by the time the gates open, some of the best things are already on a plane back to Japan. Some Persian/North African/Anatolian kilims are beautiful in a similar way to NA. Here We already usually ask guests to remove their shoes, so it seemed obnoxious to get a fancy rug and then ask them to make sure they only stand either fully on or off. Plus we have a big dog and a little fuckhead neighborhood cat that comes through the house and claws things. We buy large fabric samples with nice prints. Cheap, and they last. That's what the one under the coffee table in our house tour was.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
a solid light toned rug would look great depending on the rest of the furniture. My parents have a room downstairs that is a lot of dark wood...they did a small area in light marble and added a cream rug and it looks really nice.

I was thinking the same thing. I have alot of dark woods and dark colors in my bedroom and using a beige rug really brightens it up.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
those were all bad
confused.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
well, in the s.w. we keep similar ones (esp. the last one) in the back porch or auxiliary because goes well with the architecture and scenery. but indoors, never. though i am heavily biased here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads