• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Please - GG Corniche Loafer vs EG Belgravia Loafer

soto_nw

Reaction score
Trying this again, a bit differently.

I have decided to approach my purchases as a capsule wardrobe for maximum versatility given the cost (though I may have already mucked it up a little, as you'll see). My inspiration for this approach was this article - https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/09/if-you-only-had-five-shoes-a-capsule-collection.html

I plan on only purchasing 2-3 shoes a year in this price range (Edward Green, aka EG, and GG price range/quality).

Since I like to have a plan semi-set in stone, I have an outline for shoes 1-5 (I've already purchased 2 GG Oxfords). However it's the 3rd shoe giving me trouble. I know I want a brown sued loafer and I'm choosing between:

a) Mink Suede EG Belgravia loafer- https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/shoes/belgravia-mink-suede-brown-184-last.html
b) Mink Suede GG Corniche loafer - https://www.gazianogirling.com/products/corniche-in-mink-suede-kn14/

I'd like this shoe to be able to work with jeans, Jacket+Trouser looks, shirt+ tailored trousers, and maybe some more casual suits. Versatility is key since that whole point of this capsule inspired collection. Though of all things the priority is probably being able to go between jeans and tailored trousers+shirt.

My jeans are generally just dark denim Levis 501s that I get tapered just a bit (though I do plan on buying some denim from Blackhorse Lane or the Armory).

I know that GGs generally look dressier, but would they be a complete no-go with denim? For context, ideally I'd also occasionally wear them with some untucked MTO shirts, so still tailored and of an appropriate length.

The decision is difficult because I understand general rules would dictate going with something conservative, but I want to balance my own personal style (which tends to be a bit more "modern") without looking like a complete fool.

My heart says GG, my brain says EG....Happy to hear people's thoughts about what direction to go as I'd prefer to avoid an expensive mistake.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think either one would be a mistake but if I were you I would go for the EG Belgravia. I think it is certainly more versatile, a little bit less formal which would make it a better choice overall if you want it to look good with jeans.

To me, the Corniche looks a bit off - something about the fine contrasting stitching on the heel counter and the opening of the shoe.

soto_nw

Reaction score
I don't think either one would be a mistake but if I were you I would go for the EG Belgravia. I think it is certainly more versatile, a little bit less formal which would make it a better choice overall if you want it to look good with jeans.

To me, the Corniche looks a bit off - something about the fine contrasting stitching on the heel counter and the opening of the shoe.

Thanks for the feedback. Hmm....interesting take on the Corniche, the opening doesn't quite concern me, but I see what you mean about the heel. I suppose the thing that attracts me is the very thing that makes me a bit less versatile - its sleekness.

Your point is well taken on the relative casualness of the Belgravia compared to the Corniche.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads