• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
i really like this one, i always thought it was from the original era, but maybe (even probably !) i am wrong.
@Paint House Gang might tell us, as he uses it as his avatar.

53777.jpg

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
i really like this one, i always thought it was from the original era, but maybe (even probably !) i am wrong.
@Paint House Gang might tell us, as he uses it as his avatar.

View attachment 1058037
I can't for the life of me remember! Its from some bit of 60s print media, possibly that International Times skinhead supplement.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Skinhead graphics:

I wish I still had the cartoons a N. London skin drew. The nearest the 1969 crowd had to 'graphics', was, I suppose, in Yell. But it's not like these caught on big time.

I remember asking a graphic artist they had on the staff to do a couple of his drawings for Yell. They came out quite brilliantly, but were a bit too tame.

View attachment 1057993
View attachment 1057994

Where the signature at the bottom says "Kopy Kat" that is actually something I drew myself. The check shirt in the first one is based on a 'nubby' check Ben I had in blue - that much I do remember.

View attachment 1057995
View attachment 1057996
View attachment 1057997

Although the one below has the name "Paul" at the bottom, the little eye logo means that it was drawn by the late Edward Barker. Bless him - lovely bloke. He stuck my name on there because I had suggested the storyline. I didn't want him to do that (because it would look like I was doing bloody everything on Yell - I practically was anyway by the end).
View attachment 1057998

Off-the-wall, the IT folk shoved in a Robert Crumb figure, because it had boots and braces! I doubt if the great RC was trying to draw a skinhead (they were practically unknown in the USA at the time), but at least we got a pic with a bit of aggression to it!
View attachment 1057999
Well that blows my statement out of the water!! Nice one M-o-M, like @Bela Kun said though, it doesn’t seem like there’s a coherent style throughout all the sketches. I like it though, and you certainly were doing the whole “zine” thing with Yell serveral years before all the punk rockers caught on :-D

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the theme of this book?
Was it not a collection / collation of this thread?
Cos if it really is “Mod To Suedehead” it could be interesting.
If it’s all about skinheads getting a boner over various boots, I’m out. And I doubt there’s be much of a market for such a niche but what do I know.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it’s all about skinheads getting a boner over various boots, I’m out. And I doubt there’s be much of a market for such a niche but what do I know.

Maybe the Germans? Haha.
But seriously, so much history has been discussed in this thread, a real timeline can be laid out, literally, from mod to suedehead. I think it’ll be a real cool piece of work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics