• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a good example of the short side parting that was popular circa 81, amongst lads whose hair wasn't straight enough for a wedge

Here they call it the "Princeton" or Ivy cut. Great one.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Yup, goes by "college boy" here as well. Varying lengths but same idea.

Had my first College Boy as a fifteen year old in 74, it was a drastic change as it had been half way down my back in a sort of long since gown-out, Rod Stewart affair. I was enthralled with a little crowd of Millwall boys one Saturday evening at Euston, the following Monday, straight up the barbers!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cup final today . . Solovair oxblood , Lee 101 , checked BD shirt , Skyline vintage MA-1 and topped off with the colours of course. .

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Great thread that I've avoided for some reason?

Anyway saw Grenfell mentioned and they sell it at Superdenim if thats any help, usually find their measurements reasonably accurate.
https://www.superdenim.com/uk/brands/grenfell.html

They're doing the 'Golfer' for the same price as Cordings. I've promised another member I'd get up to Simons to check out the Grenfell Harrington but I'm nervous I'll just end up buying one....

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that was me I believe.
Superdenim never seems to carry 36 for some reason.
I haven't investigated sizes at Cordings yet because $ reasons, but hope to in the next month or two.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone point me to a thread on travelling with a mod-ish selection of clothing? Or has that been covered here?

When I head out I tend to go pretty light and small, with a bag maxing out at 30 litres for up to 5 weeks or so.
Sadly I have to use a backpack because I have shoulder issues and can't use some of those smart looking carry-alls that abound these days.

Mostly, tell me how YOU travel, because my interpretation will be coloured by necessary compromises.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Anyone point me to a thread on travelling with a mod-ish selection of clothing? Or has that been covered here?

When I head out I tend to go pretty light and small, with a bag maxing out at 30 litres for up to 5 weeks or so.
Sadly I have to use a backpack because I have shoulder issues and can't use some of those smart looking carry-alls that abound these days.

Mostly, tell me how YOU travel, because my interpretation will be coloured by necessary compromises.

The old woman dictates things in that area of life. In most come to that...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I travel for a living and always pack too much, ending up wearing (at the most)1/5 of what I pack. Now I've beaten a dead horse about this brand, but Outlier from NYC does a chino called the "60/30 Chino" that is cotton and man-made materials-- 4-way stretch, water, stain, and stink repellent, look like cotton or wool, but you could do yoga in them(were you so inclined). They have a trim cut, but not "skinny", decent rise, and you can wear them for days to weeks without looking or smelling like crap. You can wash them in a sink or tub and leave them overnight to hang dry. I wore a pair for three weeks straight, aside from the one day off a week(when I wore something else), with mild physical activity. They always looked clean, appeared neat, and didn't stink of anything. Downside: they're like $250 a pair.
Aside from those, get yourself 2-3 pairs of fine merino wool over-the-calf socks and you can rotate them, sink wash them in your hotel, and they'll be dry after an overnight hang.
For shirts, hmmm... That can be tough. I find the Rohan buttondown looks nice. The collar is a little on the small side but it's a 3-button collar, has a box pleat and locker loop, a secret chest pocket inside, and doesn't LOOK like travel clothing. They're also sink-washable and very quick drying.

Hope this helped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads