• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone point me to a thread on travelling with a mod-ish selection of clothing? Or has that been covered here?

When I head out I tend to go pretty light and small, with a bag maxing out at 30 litres for up to 5 weeks or so.
Sadly I have to use a backpack because I have shoulder issues and can't use some of those smart looking carry-alls that abound these days.

Mostly, tell me how YOU travel, because my interpretation will be coloured by necessary compromises.

When are you travelling? I have it in mind to do a blog post about this but may not be in time for your trip.

Where are you travelling? Hot? Cold? Rain?

Context of travel? Business? Beach? Climbing Kilimanjaro? Hiking the Appalachian?

Dress code? Business? Casual? Black tie wedding? Shorts and flip flops?

Where are you staying? Hotel? Youth hostel? Tent? Mongolian yurt?

How long will you be gone for? Weekend? Gap year?

Happy to thrown in my two cents worth but need some details.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Thanks, very in-depth!
I've travelled overseas (to Europe) about 6-7 times and have always only gone carry-on.
I'm familiar with Outlier and their rep, but have never pulled the trigger on any items from them, will have to look deeper though I tend to stick mostly to wool/cotton/linen these days except for full on raingear.
I only wear merino or other wool in socks, undershirts and (mostly) underwear, have been since the late 70s.

Buttondowns, hm. I've always resisted, though I kind of get the reasoning behind them, that is, to step up a look without going full on tie?
Is that right?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Going to UK last two weeks of August.
Half time traipsing 'round the countryside (think Thames Path difficulty level) and half time in London/Bournemouth.
Travelling for pleasure, the dress code is determined by me.
I'll be staying in AirBNBs, homes, hotels.

Honestly, what I'm looking for is what the folks on this forum carry with them when they travel, for whatever purpose, length of time or weathers they choose to focus on in their answer.

Thanks!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to UK last two weeks of August.
Half time traipsing 'round the countryside (think Thames Path difficulty level) and half time in London/Bournemouth.
Travelling for pleasure, the dress code is determined by me.
I'll be staying in AirBNBs, homes, hotels.

Honestly, what I'm looking for is what the folks on this forum carry with them when they travel, for whatever purpose, length of time or weathers they choose to focus on in their answer. 

Thanks!

I'm going home around the same time. It's seven years since I've been back. Last time we stayed with family in Sunderland and Airdrie, a couple of nights in a cheap hotel in Paris and a couple of nights in the Tower of London Travelodge. I spent most of that time in doc marten shoes, jeans and polo shirts plus a khaki cotton blazer, and a boating blazer. With this summer's trip in mind I acquired some burgundy Chelsea boots with a rubber sole which are comfortable and versatile and more stylish than doc martens. I've also been getting a few new long sleeve polos and a couple of Art Gallery long sleeve cycling shirts to wear with jeans and chinos or sta pressts and my new Levi's leather trucker (love my suede one but don't trust it in England's climate!) Will likely take a blazer and a harrington, maybe my midnight blue suit if there's a more formal function going on. To pack I have a rolling suit pack/garment bag which is the easiest way to pack and schlepp all that stuff and keep it from being wrinkled. Put dry cleaners plastic between each outfit so they slide against each other and not wrinkle. You could get by with two jeans and a few t shirts and be fine but if you want to go with style it will need a bit more thought and a bit larger luggage! Pack a pop up brolly if you're leaning formal, or some sort of cagoule if you're leaning casual cos you just know it's gonna rain! I also recently got a big linen summer scarf which is usually not my bag but they are useful on a drafty aeroplane and make a nest for the bairn to snuggle into as she'll be sitting on my lap for the ten hour journey!

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Excellent, that too is what I'm looking for in an answer.
Thinking of investing in a https://www.james-smith.co.uk/product/umbrellas/bark-ash-solid-stick-country-umbrella/ because rain and am torn between http://www.sehkelly.com/shop/coats/balmacaan/balmacaan-midnight-blue-ventile-flyweight/ and https://grenfell.com/collections/harrington-jackets/products/harrington-grenfell-cloth-in-navy. I'll need to decide how formal my dress will be, though honestly it hasn't been at all to this point and I don't think that a holiday would be a good time to try on a new approach, no matter how tempting. Shoes are always an issue for me because of heel problems so I'm stuck far out on the iconoclastic branch with my ersatz all stars (wasn't there some fairly respected courtier/fashion reporter who only wore runners?).
Trousers are usually two pair of chinos, though I might look into the Outlier option as suggested by Botolph.
My bag this time around will be 22 litres.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZIGGER-ZAGGER

Someone mentioned the "Zigger-Zagger" chant a while back. It's generally thought to be a variant of the Cornish "Oggy Oggy Oggy" chant - generations old. There's even some talk of it being a 19c Prussian battle cry. I heard it first on a mid-1960s documentary about South Africa, being shouted by SA Rugby fans, including old ladies.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I think the Zigger Zagger chant was lifted from a 60s play by Peter Terson.
Your right, it's to the tune of Oggy Oggy Oggy, which I associate with that Welsh comic- Max Boyce I think?

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I think that Greenaway lifted the Zigger Zagger chant from an obscure play about 60s hooligans written by a bloke called Peter Terson.
Your right, it was to the tune of Oggy Oggy Oggy, which a lot of us would associate with the Welsh comic Max Boyce

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that Greenaway lifted the Zigger Zagger chant from an obscure play about 60s hooligans written by a bloke called Peter Terson.
Your right, it was to the tune of Oggy Oggy Oggy, which a lot of us would associate with the Welsh comic Max Boyce

I remember that play, but I don't think it was the origin of the chant.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparison. Danny 'Eccles' Harkin's Harington and mine. I had assumed them to be identical. On another thread Clouseau (?) pointed out the colour combination of outer and lining on mine. I wonder if a bit of the colour definition has actually gone from the photo.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Comparison. Danny 'Eccles' Harkin's Harington and mine. I had assumed them to be identical. On another thread Clouseau (?) pointed out the colour combination of outer and lining on mine. I wonder if a bit of the colour definition has actually gone from the photo.

They look too different from each other to have it be a question of your photo fading. Your skin tone and everything around you looks fine.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the Zigger Zagger chant was lifted from a 60s play by Peter Terson.
Your right, it's to the tune of Oggy Oggy Oggy, which I associate with that Welsh comic- Max Boyce I think?

I think it was Frank Bough who interviewed Max Boyce once and asked him what's the most terrified he's ever been and Boyce replied "Sunderland Boilermakers' Club on a Sunday afternoon". (Tough spot for a comedian - even a good one - right before the strippers were due to come out!)

Ivyskin89

Reaction score

Do ya only make em with them massive soles then now, could replace the soles but its kind of expensive to do so.

They won't let me order one offs. Even though I told them I'd pay extra. They let me order samples when I order a dozen or more of a particular style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads