• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

TomMc666

Reaction score
Got these two photos... Can anyone date them? lol

Theres an ongoing debate on facebook at the minute where Dave F posted these, the consensus is swinging that these are both in the revival period......the group one is in Petticoat Lane around the corner from the Last Resort, the building is still there and the girls look is similar to the modrevival look at the time. The other one might be East Ham indoor market but still being debated.

Once again, on the revival, different strands to it and not one look, down to age, time and location.....dont think me and most of my acquaintances were runaways or looked brutal, certainly some of the later ones did from 79 onwards but there was always groups who didnt conform to that look.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pictures or four lol, you couldn't get a *** paper between most of the photos on style or fit on any objective basis

Sean Carlson

Reaction score
Theres an ongoing debate on facebook at the minute where Dave F posted these, the consensus is swinging that these are both in the revival period......the group one is in Petticoat Lane around the corner from the Last Resort, the building is still there and the girls look is similar to the modrevival look at the time. The other one might be East Ham indoor market but still being debated.

Once again, on the revival, different strands to it and not one look, down to age, time and location.....dont think me and most of my acquaintances were runaways or looked brutal, certainly some of the later ones did from 79 onwards but there was always groups who didnt conform to that look.

Tom,

I thought of posting the pics here to see if anyone recognized anything.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
I wasn't having a pop - well, unless you count the Nazi one, DJ
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Thanks for the upload, kiddo!
nod[1].gif

Well done Ed and DJ for posting - I couldn't get the link to open

TomMc666

Reaction score
Tom,

I thought of posting the pics here to see if anyone recognized anything.
Sean
Good idea, personally think the group one is 79/80 and the one of the bloke on his own is much harder to date, wouldnt be suprised if it was from earlier or from the revival period. Actually reminds me of a mate of mine Mark Nelson from Becontree, from 77/78 when we were skinheads and before the mod revival, but cant be sure.
Tom

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Some great pics there Ed.
Particularly the group photo circa 1970 where a ships rigging is behind.
As a general note the revival skins look a lot nastier than the originals- Borstal boys, runaways etc
I think the ship is the Golden Hind replica, built in the late 1940's as a tourist attraction, and part of the sunken gardens to the East of Southend pier. It was demolished in the 1990's.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Question for the originals:

Back in the day, were the Harringtons purchased then fully tartan lined to the sleeves or were the sleeves lined with some sort of poly/nylon fabric? Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

Side note: Does anyone know where to get a decent pair of green/gold tonic strides? Never cared too much for having a complete suit (I prefer blazer/sportscoat+ sta-prest combo) but I dig the trousers on their own.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads