• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was a good find Clouseau. I shopped at the Bronx shop in 1969/70. It was a great shop for Ivy style clothes. Nearly all American imports. Mr Knightley also shopped there I seem to recall.
Geoff Deane gives a good account of life of a young East London teenager from those days.

Good read and a listen.

harrysgame

Reaction score

The deadstock BD I ordered from the US arrived today. I've been after a BD with a decent mid-late 60s length collar for ages. It's a polyester knit, but at under £20 delivered, I'm not complaining.
What's the link mate. I haven trying to find the user name but can't? Nice shirt. I'm looking for a yellow one and a turquoise one.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always fancied a Tweed 'Hacking Jacket'. They've got three-buttons and a ticket pocket, but the lapels, even though high up, were a bit too wide. A bit too similar to huntsman's pinks for my liking, and therefore not modern (well, about as modern as I get). I've begun to appreatiate Tweed as a fabric as I get on in years, but definitely Donegal over Harris. Still not too sure though. A tad too heavy and itchy for my liking.
Relco (not my favourite schmatte merchant) has a Tweed-style Sta-Prest. It looks more like a multi-colour Dogtooth/Houndstooth than actual Tweed. Interesting non the less.
I just wish Relco's stitching was up to keeping my Aris' from busting out of the seat.
I have been thinking about this post,because I wasn't interested in Tweed in the early 70s,maybe as elwood said it was because teachers wore it or just because it seemed old fashioned,we wanted lighter and brighter materials and colours ( apart from crombies I suppose ).
Like you though I have come to appreciate it more lately,maybe because I see it as a traditional and quality name from the past,I was in John Lewis this week with one of the younger blokes that I work with and they had some Harris Tweed jackets in the sale ( £245 down to £110 I think) now he said he found them grandad like,I wasn't keen on the cut of the jackets and I prefer lighter material on a jacket...I still think that if I saw a Harris Tweed overcoat in a Crombie style that I would go for it..I have seen pictures of a herring bone one in Adam of London that I like the look of.
As for the Relco trousers,I like the idea of multi coloured dogtooth check,in fact I had some in grey/white/light blue in the mid 70s,I wore them with a navy blazer,as browniecj said those Relco trousers look a bit narrow at the bottom for me,I take a size 10 and with brogues on I would look like claude hopper.

Inks

Reaction score
What's the link mate. I haven trying to find the user name but can't? Nice shirt. I'm looking for a yellow one and a turquoise one.
The seller is now selling electrical stuff like fibre-optic cables and leads. So I guess he/she just sells random stuff. I know all the deadstock shirts they had didn't get sold when the auction times ran out. I've been waiting to see if they'll get re-listed and put up for sale again, but they haven't so far. The seller is at www.ebay.com/usr/glrplc2 .

Inks

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this post,because I wasn't interested in Tweed in the early 70s,maybe as elwood said it was because teachers wore it or just because it seemed old fashioned,we wanted lighter and brighter materials and colours ( apart from crombies I suppose ).
Like you though I have come to appreciate it more lately,maybe because I see it as a traditional and quality name from the past,I was in John Lewis this week with one of the younger blokes that I work with and they had some Harris Tweed jackets in the sale ( £245 down to £110 I think) now he said he found them grandad like,I wasn't keen on the cut of the jackets and I prefer lighter material on a jacket...I still think that if I saw a Harris Tweed overcoat in a Crombie style that I would go for it..I have seen pictures of a herring bone one in Adam of London that I like the look of.
As for the Relco trousers,I like the idea of multi coloured dogtooth check,in fact I had some in grey/white/light blue in the mid 70s,I wore them with a navy blazer,as browniecj said those Relco trousers look a bit narrow at the bottom for me,I take a size 10 and with brogues on I would look like claude hopper.
Because of the unforgiving cut for the older gentleman (and QC issues) of Relco, I tend to buy vintage NOS Haband trousers from the US (the ones that were still made in Paterson NJ, not the later Far East produced ones). They're often 'boot cut' with a very slight flare at the bottom, but that can be altered quite easily. Whereas an already skinny pair of lallies cannot be let-out.
I found a pair of multi-coloured houndstooth/dogtooth Haband for sale on US ebay.
Not as nice looking as the Relco faux-Tweed. But probably a better fit.
www.stores.ebay.com/stl-vintage64 has some nice Brooks Brothers BDs in the dress-shirt section, and a nice array of Harrington/G-9s in the jackets. Thing is they're mostly previously owned. Though they do have some NOS deadstock every now and then. Reasonable postage as well. As long as you pay under $24 US/£15.50 UK you won't pay any duty.(Assuming you're a Brit of course)
I'm not a hawker for stl-vintage, but here's one of the pre-owned shirts they're punting presently.

Nice. But I doubt anyone on here has had a 14 1/2 collar since they were at school.

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
As it's a "quiet news" sort of day, thought I'd post this ad from the Manchester Evening News 9th October 1968. (Centenary edition, which is why it had been kept for 45 years in the loft I'd been clearing recently - and not mine.)

Shows Crombie coats known as such by reference to cloth they were made from, rather than manufacturer. Nothing new to us in that of course and the style shown obviously not what became ours. Still, as I said, it's a quiet day. The prices (per-decimal) might raise a smile ... and I left in the rest of the ad for female knitwear as a minor bonus.

That Crombie coat would have been almost a weeks wages back in 1968. I used to shop in a Debenhams store down south at that time and in 1968 bought a fly fronted navy mac and a paisley Tootal silk scarf. Not bad for a 15 year old!

ShortBackAndSides

Reaction score
I thought one or two snippets in this short film were interesting. It is a documentary about the Suffolk London overspill town of Haverhill made in 1969. The estates featured don't look quite so nice any more. Unfortunately no sound on this preview.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/1185

02:00 paper boy in monkey jacket & bobble hat.
06:00 off to work
21:30 in the factory
22:00 5-a-side, lots of claret and blue shirts
23:00 dancing

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Just got real lucky, all my size…
cool.gif

Kind of don't dig the stripy ones and I am not sure if that burnt sienna will work for me. Maybe with a white button down?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought one or two snippets in this short film were interesting. It is a documentary about the Suffolk London overspill town of Haverhill made in 1969. The estates featured don't look quite so nice any more. Unfortunately no sound on this preview.

A typical Local Authority Film(boring).None of the "overspill" Towns look any good today.

What is not recorded is how many People wanted to move back to London.In the case of Tower Hamlets,the Residents were promised they could return to the new Houses-that the Council were building.That never happened.The usual comments were-nice House(all the Facilities etc.)but nothing like the old Neighbourhood.The Locals hated the newcomers,so animosity was there straightaway.I knew People that were shifted out to Basingstoke,Peterborough,Welwyn Garden City,Thetford etc.,they all hated it.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

The paper boy clip brought back some memories. When we were that age and a bit younger when we were delivering papers it was the norm to put a rear cycle rack on to the front of the bike so you could put the newspaper bag on the front . This was then at an angle that made the job easier.

I have never seen a picture of that action before - good find SB&S

bunty

Reaction score

02:00 - Wot no cow horns?:D

(Edit - Just saw what Aces said about bike racks....spot on mate!)

Great find, the 5-a-side and dancing clip should be set to music.

Found this photo at last, always makes me smile. :) (No info.)

South East London Mod Clubs -

Savoy Rooms mentioned M-o-M

http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/mods-in-south-london.html

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
02:00 - Wot no cow horns?
biggrin.gif

(Edit - Just saw what Aces said about bike racks....spot on mate!)

Great find, the 5-a-side and dancing clip should be set to music.

Found this photo at last, always makes me smile.
smile.gif
(No info.)

South East London Mod Clubs -

http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/mods-in-south-london.html

Good photo Bunty

Shame the cool Mod is wearing his mums slippers together with his aunties Xmas present socks !! Perhaps this is why we have so photos from the day as once they were developed they were torn up and binned due to realization of bad posing ?

The link you attached mentioned the Black Prince at Bexleyheath - this was a big coaching pub set on the A2 London to the Kent coast road and famous groups were still playing there in 69/70 I have happy memories of the venue. I think its a travel lodge or something now - I must have a look its only a few miles away

Inks

Reaction score
I don't know what's going in with this Madras shirt. It is a Gant. It looks like two shirts made into one. Has anyone seen one like this before ?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going in with this Madras shirt. It is a Gant. It looks like two shirts made into one. Has anyone seen one like this before ?
Do the sleeves look different lengths ?...where did you find it ?.I quite like the left hand check ( as you look at it ).
The Relco trousers,are they cut like sta prest ?.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads