1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

In 1967/8 in the North West of England, Levis were the jeans to get, followed by Wrangler, Lee (Rider), and Lee Cooper. Same as with Levis, we didn't seem to think numbers etc., we just went into the shops and bought the jeans by brand. Lee had the wavy lines on the back pocket, same as they seem to to today. Wrangler had a W, and Lee Cooper had straight lines. That was all we seemed to know about our jeans!

Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

In 1969 in London, I never saw anyone not wearing Levis. I even saw the occasional greaser in Levis and DMs, now I come to think of it!

Actually it strikes me that modern Lees (and Wranglers, for that matter) are a better fit than modern Levis.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Indeed , you are right on the money there. It seems that every pair of 501 I have had was a different fit . I honestly can't remember what number I wore years ago but you are also right about the other brands having less variance . .

However , back in the day , when you got your first pair of levis you knew you were not going back to the other brands - then . .

3. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Just a quick heads up: I saw a few pairs of Ralph Lauren 'Preppy Pants' at TK Maxx yesterday. They look very much like Brooks Brothers milano fit chinos to me - i.e. a somewhat slimmer, lower waisted version of the original Levi's Sta Prest. Permanent crease, anti-wrinkle fabric, look and feel really good quality. They only had size 35 (= too wide for me), the waist is a bit too low for my liking, and I can't find them on the TK Maxx Website. But who knows, your local branch might have your size available. The colour was 'plain sand', which at least in the poor artificial lighting looked like stone to me.

I understand Ralph Lauren was originally selling these for around 170 quid, and they're sold out everywhere now. TK Maxx is flogging them at 39.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  4. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Just to add to the confusion, here's a Lee Riders add of 1955, offering 'slim', 'regular' and 'husky' styles.

[​IMG]

I'm sure it was no different in the 1960s. So if skinheads really walked into a shop and grabbed whatever Lee Riders they were offered, oblivious to numbers and such, then maybe it's no surprise that they alternately remember Lee Riders as being 'slimmer' or 'wider' than Levi's.

Which I guess is good news for the new generation: whatever fit floats your boat, it's still a skinhead jeans.

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ please not ever a boot cut though.

Going by a Lee point-of-sale label I just googled it seems that for Lee things nested as

Lee>Riders>number>z(ip) or b(utton)>cut

So looks like you could have regular, trim, full, boot cut under the one number. Unlike Levi's who had a different number for every zip/button and cut followed by a four digit colour code

Levi>tag colour>number>colour

(wrong model, year or even decade but this is the clearest Lee point-of-sale label I could find online)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/66005950759286827/

[​IMG]

6. thorpedo

thorpedo Member

Adam of London make sweet suits, got myself a 3-ply Mohair, fits like a glove. I am looking to get another one, when I'll have the coins together.

7. Inks

Inks Senior member

Good to see you fellas today.

2 people like this.
  8. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

9. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Great day! We must do it again soon!

1 person likes this.
  10. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]
    London 1971 Brutus shirt

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Great meet up ! [​IMG]

What a club !

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Wusamatta with the scoot'. .

13. Man-of-Mystery

What is a cleurb? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, that was a totally braw day. It was great to meet browniecj again (even though he took the piss out of backpacks). Covskin, Inks, Clouseau, Mr Knightley, Aces - diamond blokes all!

As for dropping in to John Simons - talk about being in the right place at the right time!

1 person likes this.
  14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Good company and good conversation made a perfect afternoon - to be continued !!

15. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

The trouble with Adam of London suits is that they all seem to come with side vents. So, mod rather than skinhead, to be pedantic.

16. Man-of-Mystery

They're still bloody nice whistles!

17. Man-of-Mystery

Okay, I made it back to 'the steps' at Goldsmiths today, and an obliging lecturer took my pic. I must apologise for not having the sheepskin on for this pic, but when it was time to go out this morning, it was raining and very warm/humid. I didn't fancy walking around in a woolly sauna all day. But at least I made the photo call - 46 years later!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    3 people like this.
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

For the record. London, yesterday. Mr Knightley, Man-of-Mystery, Aces and Eights. Sorry, poor quality (and not much light in zis pub),
    taken with my pheun.

[​IMG]

Guess you left your Sheepie in your reum today, M-o-M...
    I like your new harrington on 'the steps' pic BTW

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    3 people like this.
  19. Man-of-Mystery

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thanks. You can't really see much detail of its harrington-ness, I was more concerned with not overheating.

20. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Very cool M-o-M!

[​IMG]

That man again, Inks, Monsieur and moi - outside JS.

2 people like this.