• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

aizan

Reaction score
anybody know where can i order a pair of solovair 4 or 5-eye gibsons? do they do custom orders? i want a pair in oxblood.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Regarding what you are saying re football violence and skinhead gangs ect it was the same, dare i say maybe worse in the late 70s and 80s, when argually football violence was at it height and was taken to the extreme. There was deaths at football in the 80s. I dont recall ever hearing or reading about any deaths due to football violence in the 60s. Before you say i wasnt there, i was partly around it. I was born in 1963 and both my brothers were skinheads in the 60s and many of thier friends used tocome to our house. I was frequiently in the den with them listening to their tales.
Being a skinhead in the 70 and 80s wasnt a fashion statement as it was in the 60s it was a choice to live that life. Everyone wanted to have a pop and do a skinhead or crew. We were public enemy number one for quite a while.
So maybe we wernt quite there in the 60s, but with all due respect, was you there in the late 70s and 80s? Unless you can compare the two and lived both parts then we will never know. We all have an opinion.
82 - 85 was the height of organised FV - great clobber , great mates and amazing days of anarchy everywhere .

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flyfronted.Maybe you are right and 82/85 was the height of violence at football,but it had to start somewhere and if Joe Hawkins and lads like him around the country wouldnt have started it,then 82/85 wouldnt have happened.I am glad that those times happened because i enjoyed it then ,i am also glad that its over i would hate for my son and his mates to go through those times.I do think that the style then was the best ever,some people on here will slag the 80s casuals,not me because they wanted to be the smartest of their time but for me the suedehead look was the best.

ek77

Reaction score

London skinheads 1978

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

mark, one of the guys from that video in 1978..

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Going back to Little Queenie's question about dyeing of hair back then, it has reminded of another (short-lived) trend in 1969. I was going out with a girl from Basildon who I met at Ilford Palais. She had short, un-dyed hair as did her friend. But her friend sometimes liked to vary her look by wearing a straight, shoulder length wig in the same dark colour as her own hair. I knew very few girls that did this but I gather it was a trend in some circles. Both my girlfirend and her mate worked in the City. Not sure if it was there that she picked it up. Anyone else recall this?

Liza Minnelli in Charlie Bubbles. I think the wig wearing (as a fashion, rather than necessity) was a trend in the '60's. My mum, who is about 6 or so years older than you originals certainly wore them as a fashion and hairpieces for those very bouffanty up-does (no-one has that much hair!) She had lovely long blonde hair throughout the '60's and the wigs were merely used to change your look.

Basset

Reaction score
Liza Minnelli in Charlie Bubbles. I think the wig wearing (as a fashion, rather than necessity) was a trend in the '60's. My mum, who is about 6 or so years older than you originals certainly wore them as a fashion and hairpieces for those very bouffanty up-does (no-one has that much hair!) She had lovely long blonde hair throughout the '60's and the wigs were merely used to change your look.

The beauty of this thread is that now and then you read a post and it rings a bell, yours has just reminded me, of the polysterene head
complete with wig that lived in the spare bedroom at my parents house, by the mid 70's it was a mess due to being stabbed with knitting needles
by me and my Brother
fight[1].gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember the bubbly wigs,they were popular around the /early mid 60s(when Biba and Granny Takes A Trip)were very popular-along the Kings Road.I also remember one of my Girlfriends in `69 having her hair streaked.Not to the extent it became later.In `71,there was an American Crime Show that started- "McMillan And Wife", where one of the main characters (Susan St.James) had Blonde Strips down the front of her hair and the rest left dark.This was copied.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder,if you are anywhere near the East End -

This Thursday,1st August,2013-at the Horse And Groom,28,Curtain Road,London EC2A 3NZ,"Majestic Soul"-with an early doors session of "The Roots Of Reggae".All starts at 5pm.Free Admission.

catchourbreath

Reaction score
anybody know where can i order a pair of solovair 4 or 5-eye gibsons? do they do custom orders? i want a pair in oxblood.

In the USA you have three options to get solovair
Angry Young and Poor in PA
Bill's Footwear in CA
Solovair Direct appears to be done for, they haven't updated their website since March

They might do custom stuff, but it might be prohibitively expensive.

flyfronted

Reaction score
flyfronted.Maybe you are right and 82/85 was the height of violence at football,but it had to start somewhere and if Joe Hawkins and lads like him around the country wouldnt have started it,then 82/85 wouldnt have happened.I am glad that those times happened because i enjoyed it then ,i am also glad that its over i would hate for my son and his mates to go through those times.I do think that the style then was the best ever,some people on here will slag the 80s casuals,not me because they wanted to be the smartest of their time but for me the suedehead look was the best.
I think FV started in England around 1966 / 67 . Your right my boy is now 17 and i would not want him getting his boat slashed just because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time although it seems easier to get beaten up in a suburban town centre on a friday night than outside WHL or Upton park these days .

flyfronted

Reaction score
Casuals were simply kids of the same stock and class carrying on the tradition .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mastertradeplumbing