• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
Evidently,there is a Plastic Soldier Company doing a "6 Youths"Set.It is a range of 54mm(1/32)Figures which includes a Teddy Boy,Skinhead,Mod Girl,Rasta Man,Hippy Chick and Punk Rocker.No pictures found yet.
biggrin.gif

Interesting mate, i've been a keen modeller/painter for many years, i've seen a few things like you describe, usually smaller scale and aimed at the gaming fraternity. Gazza's boot boys in the link below always made me chuckle
http://wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/street-violence/down-killing-floor-collection-bcsv002/

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Micky Disco

Reaction score
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to mention what a superb forum this is - was far too young to be an 'original' but I remember 'Double Barrel' being number one at the same time as Arsenal won the Double and thinking the two were related somehow
smile.gif
. Got my first pair of Dr Martens smooths in the mid 1970s and first pair of 1460s a couple of years later, still try to live up to the 'clean living under difficult circumstances' philosophy wherever/whenever possible.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to reading some more stuff.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
flyfronted. I totally agree,which is why i would wear those clothes now...i would not wear Dr Martens,sta prest or braces,though.I am not even too sure about denim jeans and although i really like some of the Alpha jackets on here recently i am not sure if they are suitable at my age.

Clothes that I would still wear, and do, from 'back in the day' .
Nearly all shoes ie Smoothes, American Brogues, Walkovers, Clarks Dessies, Beefroll Loafers (Sebago) etc. I do have some DM's but rarely wear them. I would no longer wear Bass Weejun tasseled loafers (my favourite shoe back then). I might wear officer boots and Jodphur boots if I could find a decent pair.
Would no longer wear Levi sta press or jungle greens but would wear beige Levi Cords, Levis and Lee Rider jeans. Definitely no braces any more (I didn't wear them often anyway) although I do have a pair..
Couldn't wear a Tonik mohair suit like the one I used to have.Or the Prince of Wales Jacket. Would still wear a dark blue Blazer. I have always had a Barracuta Harrington in the wardrobe and still wear them. Alpha jackets aren't part of my look, then or now.
I would wear all the knitwear I had in 68-72 . I still wear Fred Perry (but prefer John Smedley). I wouldn't wear a Ben Sherman from today, but I would wear a 1969 version. I still wear American BD shirts. I would wear a Crombie, to a funeral maybe. I never had a sheepskin. Would wear all my stripped repp ties I used to own. I would love to wear the Fly fronted mac I owned as a 15 year old. White or sky blue boxer shorts are still part of my look as are thick wollen socks.

I would not wear any clothes that I wore from 1972-1974 except maybe my Olive Green Duffel coat.(I had a pair of Blue Swedish Clogs in 1972, one year after I was wearing top quality American shoes).

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Knightley. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of your blazer.Would you wear a pocket handkerchief in that style of blazer ?, i have seen people wearing pocket handkerchiefs in patch pocket blazers are there any " rules " about this ?
It's a little way off still. I'll try to take some pics at the next fitting.

I would wear a pocket hanky in the new blazer and I sometimes wear the linen one on more formal service as here:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/597_bowphoto.jpg
Link doesn't seem to work - sorry. Instead I'll try this one which provides an interesting debate on 'reclaiming the blazer': http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=5257

Last edited:

elwood

Reaction score

If it was made in England and the Hammers part was subtle and the material was good quality I'd buy it! I've always liked that combination of colours and it suits a fairisle pattern. Don't call it a sweater vest though.

Bit behind here, but saw this in Telegraph magazine article - about Matt Berry (?) I think - a few days ago:

A bit blurred, but seems to be Jack Wills (although no longer on their website). Don't think it's as stylish as the cashmere one Gsvs5 posted a few days back; but fairisle doesn't really do it for me these days - reminds me to much of McCartney in Magical Mystery Tour. (Loved The Beatles but he sets my teeth on edge.)

Basset

Reaction score
I am glad you have said that Mate,because I will be asking you for tips on Painting(cannot seem to get it right)-when we meet at Margate!!
smile.gif

As long as it's toys yer painting i will be more than glad to try and help, if it's canvas or paper i aint got a clue

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob the Badger. Interesting list of what you would still wear,the hard part is finding a lot of the clothes and shoes.When i see something that i like i have to stop and think "when would i wear that ?",like you say about wearing a Crombie at a funeral.I do like Crombies but from a practical point i cant see myself wearing one a lot now,it seems to rain more than get cold in the winter and a lot of shopping centres are indoors and heated,i dont stand on football terraces in the cold and a long coat is a bit impractical when driving.Sheepskins,i did have one but i wouldnt now,again not practical in the rain and expensive to have cleaned.You mention Blazers,do you prefer patch pocket blazers ? also where do you find American button downs now ?.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stuff I'd wear today: most of it, barring braces, which just make me look old/odd.

I wouldn't wear a Fair Isle sweater either. Reminds me too much of Monty Python.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bob the Badger. Interesting list of what you would still wear,the hard part is finding a lot of the clothes and shoes.When i see something that i like i have to stop and think "when would i wear that ?",like you say about wearing a Crombie at a funeral.I do like Crombies but from a practical point i cant see myself wearing one a lot now,it seems to rain more than get cold in the winter and a lot of shopping centres are indoors and heated,i dont stand on football terraces in the cold and a long coat is a bit impractical when driving.Sheepskins,i did have one but i wouldnt now,again not practical in the rain and expensive to have cleaned.You mention Blazers,do you prefer patch pocket blazers ? also where do you find American button downs now ?.

I would wear a Crombie,but not the Navy/Black variety-reminds me of wannabe villains.I have seen, over the past few years, some that have come in checks etc(ok they have had the Velvet Collar).I would certainly wear one of those.

Its ok Bassett it is "Figure Painting".

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Mr Badger, apart from the 'thick woollen socks’ I could have written that post myself. It is uncannily similar to my own attitude now and then. Is it, I wonder an example of the regional thing? I suppose we were only a few miles apart and subject to the same influences. Just a couple of observations / questions. Is it tasselled loafers in general you dislike or rather the Bass version? I wear the Sebago Kerry today. As far as Fred Perry is concerned I will, and do wear the Italian made ones and have also bought the odd FP collaboration item like the Comme des Garcons Shirt ones a few years back. I also struggle with the Fairisle these days despite having a lovely Paul Smith one that my wife bought me and who is always nagging me to wear it.....

Sirryacus

Reaction score
also where do you find American button downs now ?.

We usually find those in America nowadays, sorry I'm taking the piss as you guys would say, you guys don't get as many of those nowadays as you did in the past? I am a proponent of the short sleeve button down and I often find myself leaning toward the outdoor brands nowadays, I'm sure you are familiar with Hi-Tec mostly known for their hiking boots they actually some pretty cool button-downs in my opinion, a lot of skate and surf companies have moved into making such things as well you might be surprised at what you can find out there.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that everyones taste in style changes over the years,i wouldnt wear the tie tack ( tie pin ) that i had years ago but i expect that i thought it was great then.I wore the same button downs as everyone else did then,but now i prefer the shirts with shorter ( 2 finger ) collars,i dont like the really small collars though.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
browniecj. I do still like Crombies,particuarly in herringbone ( preferably without velvet collar ), i just dont think that i would wear one very often. I meant to respond to the post where you said that you would have felt like a slob going to the pub not wearing a suit,contrast that to this story,my son went to a 21st birthday party recently one of the blokes there in his late forties early fifties was wearing a suit.My son said that he heard at least half a dozen people ask this bloke if he had just been in court !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads