1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

It looks about 1968, maybe 1967. I would very much doubt that they would have considered themselves anything but members of a single group at the time. I think if you had asked them, they would have been more likely to have said "We're mods", as the 'skinhead' tag wasn't in use at the time.

From my point of view, it's good to see plain surfer jackets without piping on the collar and cuffs. I wonder what the light coloured one's actual colour is. Up North in 1967, there were some light blue with navy collar and cuff (the classic Beach Boys jackets, maybe even lighter blue than that).

Now, as to whether the skinhead look 'started' outside the capital as well, I'm going to add a "Yes, but..." and say that late 60s London mods might well have worn jeans and boots on days out to the seaside (I can remember being turned away from the funfair at Margate for wearing boots), so Colchester lads might have rubbed shoulders with London lads at somewhere like Southend. Also Colchester United fans would have ... er... encountered Londoners at football matches.

2. whodicapfit

whodicapfit Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just got these .They are probably the best Dm,s I have bought in 30 years they were a sample and I got them for pennies .They have a slightly narrower toe than the 1460s quite like my old "Greasy Bounders "that I bought back in 73

3. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Would be a nice boot if they didnt use that horrible coated leather...waxy stuff you cant polish on. Erggh !

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Whodicapfit, always interesting to find "sample" at low price. This model looks like a first study of the MIE "Pietro" (see picture. Ridiculously expensive BTW) that looks very much like it, except maybe for the small stitching on the welt. i like the shape, that reminds me (a bit) of the old "Astronauts".
    Agree with Mc Dermott about the shiny coated leather though, but i quite like the "rub-off" burgundy color.

[​IMG]

Speaking of boots, the last version of (re-made) Astronauts by Solovair, in calf leather.

[​IMG]

Seen this one ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. whodicapfit

whodicapfit Member

It did state that it was a MIE Pietro sample I forgot that and the shine is not as bright as it is in the photograph that was a stock sample in fact side by side with my old DMS fully bulled there is no noticeable difference .Not like the difference That is My Jump the Gun Monkey boots that I think just don't look right .Ok for walking the dog but that is about it
    I do like those Astronuats in calf leather

6. whodicapfit

whodicapfit Member

7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of them Damsons. Very supple leather and seem to be a little better-made than the regular "Hawkins" 8-eye by Solovair-- though the leather is a little thinner and tougher to get to a nice lustre..
    Then again, I'm not old enough to have bought an original pair so I have nothing to compare them to.

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Our own browniecj did his stuff last night at the Ad-Lib club. Well done mate!

9. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Thanks Mr Knightley.good to see yourself and your Lady Wife last night.Hope you had a good journey home !! :)

10. browniecj

I would have said the same M-o-m,but when I looked at the fuzzy photo from 1967(inside "The History Of The Twisted Wheel")I thought different.There,in Manchester were a group of Mods who had the same "Look" and some of them had a No.4-as I did in `67.It was uncanny.I have always stated that,in `67,a tidal wave hit right across Britain and the "Look" that ended up being Skinhead-was born then.

11. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Still here in Lincoln - just having a nightcap!

Home tomorrow.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

The final transition….I'm guessing 72-73? Budgies came in '71,but didn't get North untill a bit later.Three out of the four still retain a strong Northern Mod look.

Hull/Burnley Soul boys,( from Soul-Source )

[​IMG]

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

When I saw that photo of you in your 60's suit Colin some months ago I did compare it to the photo of the Manchester group photo in the Central book.I had to double check and see that you weren't actually in it.The resemblance is uncanny.Scary days if you were ever put in a "Line Up" !!

14. browniecj

:D

15. browniecj

Well done.I think the old part of Lincoln is worth a visit-the only problem is,it`s up a steep hill. :)

16. Man-of-Mystery

Yep, more than once. :)

17. Man-of-Mystery

I hear you, but on the other hand, trends have to start somewhere. By about 1967/68 there was a general 'mod' look all over Britain, with minor local differences. It was fairly static, and you could expect to see an embryonic version of 'the look' just about anywhere. But based on what I saw in South London during late 1968 and the whole of 1969, and while hopping back and forward to the NW, I was convinced (and still am) that certain important details of what became identifiable as 'skinhead' originated in London.

In this thread we have learned not to discount or ignore how the look developed elsewhere. Having a foot in the North and South camps, I would be delighted to move important details away from London, if only as a discovery. Indeed, when a detail comes up like baker's trousers in Liverpool, that's great. However, I've got to speak as I find, and what I find almost overwhelmingly points to London as being the starting point of most of the details of the skinhead look. Sorry if this is old ground.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

A couple more
    .[​IMG]

I like this one, but probably eighties
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  19. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

The Damsons look good. Back in the late 60s my mob only wore 6/7 eyelet boots. We never went in for that 8 eyelet (or more) look with rolling up the jeans to show the full boot. Our 1/2 inch turn ups came just below the top of the boot. I remember this because when the police took our laces from our boots at Southend on Bank Holiday Monday we were able to run around the Kursaal with the top eyelet tied with a piece of string (nicked out of M & S) and the Police didn't notice.