• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Thank you A&E for your recollections. Your earlier posts regarding getting tattooed amongst rockers and whatnot are gold in terms of old-school tattoo history. Although I've only been tattooing for a little over 5 years, I've been around shops and 'tattoo-culture' for nearly 20 now and I definitely live in the '3 shops in every town' type scenario (although its more like 10 in my immediate area). I am particularly interested in 'traditional' style tattooing as you describe it...and although it's not my bread and butter in terms of making a living, I'm glad that the style is making a comeback. I appreciate many different styles of tattooing but the true traditional American style is what interests me the most because it speaks to my roots as a tattooer far more than most other styles.
In terms of it 'not being an original skinhead thing'....I've only drawn that conclusion based on what most have said on here...but it's also clear from reading thru all the material here that just because something wasn't popular in one area doesn't necessarily make it so in other regions. So again...I'm glad to hear the different points of view from all the different contributors who have witnessed different trends from back then.

yankmod

Reaction score
RE: Getting Older and not wanting to look foolish. My Style Philosophy is "Wear what the mainstream does not" I realize this was not the intent of the "originals" They were wearing fairly conservative clothes for the time.This is one reason for shopping Thrift Stores.Don't want to support the dictates of the fashion world and trends.Don't want to support consumerism.I'm with Buttons.Peter Pan is one of my heroes too.I haven't had the same constraints as most folks and have been lucky to do and dress how I want.You "Originals" Look great(the few recent pics I seen of you guys) Just look at Keith Richards these days.70 years old still wearing tight black jeans and Denim Levi's coat.There ain't no rules no more for the age-ed.Grandma can wear a mini skirt and I could care less.cheers

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcome Boltolph. Yeah....I would imagine that most of us that are in the US and in that general age-range came into 'the scene' thru similar means. When I first started going to shows (at least in my area) there were pretty much only punks and skins, and you typically identified with one or the other stylistically/ethos-wise. I've always enjoyed punk music as well but I never got into the 'squatter/gutter punk' styling and mentality as my family was always firmly working-class and those values were instilled in me at a young age. I wanted to work for a living as soon as I was legally able and have held a job from virtually the day I turned 14 (youngest legal age to work in my area) to present with no more than a few days to maybe a week between jobs. I also preferred the more 'clean-cut' skinhead style to the rattier punk one. I chalk a lot of us being 'scruffy' up to the fact that we just didn't have access to the amount of material and info that we do now (Internet not having been around at the time I was coming up) so we just followed what we saw....which was the obligatory DMs, FP, braces, flight jacket, bald head look. It was especially hard in the area I grew up as we lived about an hour outside Baltimore and DC and at that age none of us drove and the metro lines didn't run that far...so although those areas had shows and shops that we would go to...it wasn't as easy as walking down the street or catching the bus or metro to procure items. And even the shops in DC we used to frequent were pretty short on really good items. FPs could be found here and there but button downs like Ben Sherman and whatnot were vary rarely seen. Either that or we didn't know where to look.

Thanks for your tips on the Solovairs. I do like their boots quite a lot...but I can't seem to find a lower cut (6-8 hole) style in steel-toe anywhere I look. If you have any leads I'll check em out for sure. For now I'm hoping the William Lennons I posted about will do the trick for me as at least in the pics they look to be exactly what I've been searching for. I guess we'll see when I get them. The only other ones I've found that look close to what I want are from a Czech company (if I'm not mistaken on where they're located) called 'STEEL'...but I haven't heard much feedback about their quality and as I don't really prefer a lot of logos/branding in most cases...I don't like that they have their logo imprinted on the side of the boot. Not necessarily a deal-breaker but I've found no real info on em and don't want to risk it. The people at William Lennon have been very accommodating to my inquiries and for the price I'm hoping I'll be satisfied. They won't be 'daily drivers' for me as I prefer desert boots or sneakers in most cases....but it's always good to have a pair of steel-toes laying around ;)

Here's the Solovair stuff on British Boot Company. I bought a pair of black 6-eye Hawkins off 'em. Good service.
http://britboot.co.uk/engine/shop/category/Solovair/Boots

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Definitely feeling the styling of the 6 hole Hawkins Solovair...but I'm partial to steel toe. Always liked the more rounded look. Unless I'm mistaken (which is quite possible as I'm computerless right now and doing all of this with my iPod so it's not as easy to see close ups and whatnot) those aren't available in steel toe. If so...I'd scoop em in a heartbeat.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely feeling the styling of the 6 hole Hawkins Solovair...but I'm partial to steel toe. Always liked the more rounded look. Unless I'm mistaken (which is quite possible as I'm computerless right now and doing all of this with my iPod so it's not as easy to see close ups and whatnot) those aren't available in steel toe. If so...I'd scoop em in a heartbeat.

Yeah, they're not steel toed. They sell some though. I like the "smarter" looking silhouette of the non-steel toed option.

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
I don't blame ya there. Definitely a preference thing. I don't mind the non steel toe and think they look sharp...but as I don't wear DM style boots much and don't plan to...I really only need one pair to put into rotation and I'm kinda set on steel-toes. We'll see what happens with these WL ones I ordered but I'll keep my eyes on Solovairs's site from time to time to see if they come out with a ST option in a 6 hole style.

Last edited:

elwood

Reaction score

I think the pics are original.The look of the pics looks late 60's but with an excellent camera and someone who had a clue about how to shoot.Color film is easily dated as the colors used and paper etc. have distinct characteristics(I know yooz know what I'm talkin) The girl looks original.The cat in the yellow cardi,The boy in the mac.The guy with longer hair.All look original to me.And Buttons is correct.The pic taken at a distance as the crew walks down the sidewalk has been cropped and blown up and printed in B&W several times in several places(I've seen it half a dozen times) I think the quality of these pics make them some of the best we've seen.And the info is on the photo,shouldn't be hard for M.O.M. to find this guy (fingers crossed)TA

This fella was Paris Match photographer - so serious pro using transparency (slide) film for magazines hence quality of images & colour saturation (maybe Ektachrome) & if old school 6cm x 6cm camera rather than35mm you could blow up big enough to cover side of building. Was this guy who took photos in French paper of lasttye's mates?

yankmod

Reaction score
This fella was Paris Match photographer - so serious pro using transparency (slide) film for magazines hence quality of images & colour saturation (maybe Ektachrome) & if old school 6cm x 6cm camera rather than35mm you could blow up big enough to cover side of building. Was this guy who took photos in French paper of lasttye's mates?
Now we Know.Thanks for that elwood.Didn't want to say PRO but,few pics have turned up this clear.

Basset

Reaction score
Thank you A&E for your recollections. Your earlier posts regarding getting tattooed amongst rockers and whatnot are gold in terms of old-school tattoo history. Although I've only been tattooing for a little over 5 years, I've been around shops and 'tattoo-culture' for nearly 20 now and I definitely live in the '3 shops in every town' type scenario (although its more like 10 in my immediate area). I am particularly interested in 'traditional' style tattooing as you describe it...and although it's not my bread and butter in terms of making a living, I'm glad that the style is making a comeback. I appreciate many different styles of tattooing but the true traditional American style is what interests me the most because it speaks to my roots as a tattooer far more than most other styles.
In terms of it 'not being an original skinhead thing'....I've only drawn that conclusion based on what most have said on here...but it's also clear from reading thru all the material here that just because something wasn't popular in one area doesn't necessarily make it so in other regions. So again...I'm glad to hear the different points of view from all the different contributors who have witnessed different trends from back then.

Welcome mate, as Ace's has mentioned i do like me tats, the city of Bristol has strong links to the trade due to the work of one of the early exponents of the art, Les skuse was known worldwide to many tattooists and was responsible for tattooing many from this countrys first teenagers, namely teds, including my old man.

I cant speak as an original, as at that time i was still getting me undercrackers changed for me, but my first interest started with the old mans green/blue blobs on his arms, progressing onto bazooka joe bubble gums which came with waterslide transfers, and then onto the real thing.

I appreciate all styles as long as there done well but have a preference for, Japanese and whats now called old school/traditional styles.
Sailor Jerry, Ed Hardy being some of my favourites, makes me laugh when i hear people mention the clothes designer Ed Hardy, i like the way Hardy took some of the original designs and tweaked them in the late 60's early 70's, a skull with eyeballs popping out of it for example, although some of it is a bit out there if you know what i mean.

A few pics of my stuff done by a mate who is no longer with us R.I.P Dave

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Actually considered going the 'cut-down' route Catchour...but I think I'll see how the ones I ordered do first before I go that way. I do have a pair of 10 hole Chinese DMs that I hate that I may give that treatment to cuz I don't care about em anyway.

Basset....the pics of your tattoo-work are ****...much thanks for sharing. If I get some time in the next day or 2 I'll post some of my own collection if its of any interest. I fully agree with what you say about the whole 'Ed Hardy' thing. Had a youngish kid come in one time and was looking over a piece of classic Hardy flash. He goes 'cool man...Ed Hardy' his buddy asks what that is, the kid replies ' oh....it's that clothing line.....' Took all I had not to strangle the **** out of him in our lobby :p

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Spirit of 89.3 of my Mates had tattoos done ,in the 60s.They all got a Crucifix done on the arm highlighted in blue(I nearly had one done).Do not ask me why-we were not religious or anything-but it beat the black panthers etc,which was the norm around `68/`69 on Greasers.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kingstonian on this.When I am getting ready to go out to a Reggae or Soul Do,I feel 19 again.I look in the mirror and there is this strange fella looking out-with wrinkles,grey hair and a large stomach.That brings me down to earth very quickly!!! I am not having a go at the revivalists but you see 40+ year olds dressed as Skinheads shouting and swearing and acting like 18 year olds-what is that all about???? :)

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Thanks for the contribution Brownie. I think I recall you mentioning the crosses a while back. That's not unusual though at all nowdays either. I get all kinds of wannabe thugs that get cross tattoos as though somehow getting them will 'set them right with the Lord' or negate the fact that most of them are drug dealers and low-life criminals. In keeping with the skinhead theme I figured I'd post a couple skinhead themed tattoos I've done over the last couple years:

Not skinhead per se....but done on a skinhead buddy of mine and many skinheads do have an affinity for CO....

This one is pretty self explanatory hopefully :p

In real-life her head isn't quite as bulbous...it's on my buddy's thigh and I had him sit down to take the pic so I could get the whole tattoo in-frame.

****edit to Brownie**** I didn't mean to imply that your crew were 'wannabe thugs'...just the fact that people still get stuff on them that sometimes runs contrary to their actual 'beliefs'. I for one am of the mindset that tattoos don't need a meaning behind them. They should just look cool :) nothing wrong with getting 'personal' tattoos....but they don't all have to have a deep meaning.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads