1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. gabriela

gabriela Member

Yes, it was shared on The Ballroom Bltz with the other pictures Bunty posted. It was taken at the Tin Hat (Kettering, 1971). The rest are also from 1970-1971, I put up some info

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Great collection Gabriela.
    I don't get on FB so was happy to see the photos here.
    Just clicked on the info link and saw the photo of the sellotape on the hair sides !! Brilliant……and I thought it was just us blokes who did it .[​IMG]

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Great stuff but I still find it hard to believe some are not a little earlier. The generic white shirt and tie undone reeks of 1968. But it could be the regional thing I suppose...

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

Welcome, Cleav.

My old Tootal scarf is another lost treasure for me. I had a 60s (or even late 50s) yellow/ gold paisley one that I persuaded my Grandad to give me in about 1970. I was sure until recently that I still had it somewhere but can I find it ...? maybe it's stuffed away somewhere in the loft. Anyway, I did recently inherit another 60s Tootal scarf with quite an unusual pattern - well at least I'd never seen it before. It's not silk though - 100% rayon. I'll try and put a photo of it on here.

And just to add that those photos are brilliant, Bunty and thanks for the link to the info on your FB page, gabriela.

1 person likes this.
  5. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

elwood - I gave you my own personal reply on this one, but I'm not sure how typical it was. In our area, as you are aware, and probably across much of the north of England, that Mod/Skinhead/Suedehead identity was linked to soul music. If you were a youngster the chart Soul and Motown stuff was what you bought and listened to at home and at the youth club the girls would dance to it. Often there would be all sorts of kids at the local youth club but as you got a bit older and wanted to be with the 'in crowd' you naturally went to a soul club. The 'big timers', as we used to call them, would be there (the older lads you aspired to be like), your mates wanted to go there to see and be seen and probably that girl you fancied would be there too. It was the place to be.Some people absolutely loved the music, many others liked it, for some it may have been incidental to the whole experience. Of the people who used to attend the local soul club where I went regularly, how many would be soul fans now? Undoubtedly some will be, but the majority? Probably never set foot in a soul venue since 1972. They might enjoy hearing the odd old tune on Radio 2. but that's as far as it goes. As I posted some months ago, when I first started going to a soul club in late 1970 it was very busy "wall to wall skinhead", by late 1972 it had closed down - the older skinheads had moved on, the younger kids were into Slade and Gary Glitter.

cerneabbas posed the same question about football. How many of our ilk went to football with their mates because it was the thing to do? I became a skinhead because I was a football fan, I'm sure others went to football because they wanted to be skinheads and that's what skinheads did. I certainly had one mate who fell into that category. Of the 4 close mates I regularly went to watch City with 1969 - 1972, how many still go, even occasionally? How many of them even went in their twenties? Well, 2 of them have sadly departed (now there's a thought.....) I know one of the others still goes now and then and and as for the fourth, (the lad I initially became a skinhead with) I haven't seen or heard from him since the day of my wedding in 1979. I'm sure he would always state his allegiance if asked, but whether he ever goes is anybody's guess. I still occasionally recognise some of the faces from that era if I go to City, but we're only really talking about 3 or 4 individuals and certainly no-one I knew personally. I would imagine every club is pretty much the same.

Those of us on this forum obviously have a pretty strong connection with that era but for most people it was just a phase in their life. - they did it, enjoyed it and moved on to something else. Whilst we also did this there are some threads with our past that obviously remain.

2 people like this.
  6. Inks

Inks Senior member

The advertising agency where Jimmy Cooper worked as a mail-boy in Quadrophina had the Tootal account. You can see framed Tootal adverts up on the walls in the office halls as Jimmy does his rounds. I don't know whether that was a deliberate nod or not.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. Inks

Inks Senior member

There are plenty of continuity errors and chronological mistakes in the (set in '64) film Quadrophenia. (Mark 3 Cortina on the [​IMG]

Goldhawk Rd, A Quick One While He's Away LP at the Kitchener Rd party, long-haired 'outlaw bikers' beating up Spider, and an Intercity 125 whizzing past the Cooper's garden) Now, thanks to this forum, I've discovered Jimmy's trimmed FP in the scene where he meets Biffo Bindon is historically inaccurate for 1964 also.

1 person likes this.
  8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That was at a picket for teachers' pay in late 1968 (it was a teaching college I was at, though I wasn't studying education). It's also my second-least-favourite photo of myself.

[​IMG]

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

And the width of the Lapels that I was also talking about-quite a few pages back.

I did not so much as wear Two Tone Jackets with plain colour Trousers-my preference was the Jacket with Levis.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I would have put it there Mr.Knightley.

Welcome back Gabriela,you are always welcome.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Get him on here Mate.:)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The tassled Loafers were the first give-away-I could go for nearly a day,of what was not accurate to the set date.But I wont.....:)

1 person likes this.
  14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Mr Knightley,As you have mentioned regional,the Zephyr has a Birmingham area number ( I think ) I wonder if the lady that you know from Birmingham might be able to help date the picture ? ( a long shot I know,).
    I thought that the pictures were good but it made me realise what a long time ago it was,and truthfully how little of the clothes I would wear now,as roytonboy remarked nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

roytonboy.A nail on the head post I think.
    As we get further away from the period the "rules" become more entrenched,for instance skinheads love ska ! as we saw when talking about music on this thread last year some skinheads listened to ska ( and for a limited period in some cases).
    Your soul club story proves it for me,thriving in 1970 shutdown in 72,as you say the customers had moved on to something else, music tastes like fashion tastes largely disposable even then maybe.
    I wont say the r word again but modern day enthusiasts of the look need somewhere to gather and lets face it that couldn't be at football and so it is at soul or ska nights.
    As for football,I can remember one poor lad coming to his first game with us and things going completely mad ending in him getting a bottle over his head,we never saw him again and I bet that was the case for a lot of people then,or they stopped going when their mates did.
    I think that people just go along with their mates in some ways when they are younger,I know that when we used to go out I ended up thinking "what the hell am I doing in here ?" many times,I doubt that I am the only one.

1 person likes this.
  16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

When I moved to Guildford,I did not know a soul.The first Dance I went to(at the Guildford Civic Hall)I got jumped on.I was taken to a nearby Pub,because the Doormen had thrown me out,where I got cleaned up.The Fellas that helped me I got to know very well-in fact they were the boys I started knocking about with.The moral of the story is,they can knock you down but you keep getting up.We learnt to look after ourselves(we were never a big mob).

2 people like this.
  17. gabriela

gabriela Member

Thanks :) I do read the thread but I don't post lol. Will start posting more!

18. elwood

elwood Senior member

Here's a couple of photos of the Tootal scarf I mentioned. A sort of Paisley pattern with racecourse scenes ... could imagine a raffish bookie wearing it (not who I inherited it from):

[​IMG]

The label says it's "Tebilized" - some sort of crease resistance ... a Sta-Prest scarf?

[​IMG]

19. elwood

elwood Senior member

More thoughts I appreciate, roytonboy. (How could I have omitted football??? ... the third element in another trinity - but again which element drew you in would depend on the individual.) And those of us on this forum are probably unrepresentative as most won't have given any of it another thought in the intervening forty years. If you remember those times and you're on here some or all of it (football/ fashion/music) still means something to you.

1 person likes this.
  20. elwood

elwood Senior member

I've seen that stat too, roytonboy, and anyone who used to go on the terraces I the late 60s to late 70s and still goes to Premier League games now will recognise it from what they see. And if you look at videos of the period on YouTube, the sound of the singing from the terraces is of much younger voices than today. All those factors you quote mean it's changed, probably permanently.

One reflection on the terrace "activity" that used to occur - I remember reading somewhere, but can't find it now, an explanation for the rise of "hooliganism" in the late 60s being along the following lines. Until the 1960s, the terraces were filled with older adult males who wouldn't tolerate young lads running wild and would effectively keep them in check. However, with increasing prosperity not least reflected in car and TV ownership, from the early 60s onwards these older males abandoned the terraces for trips out in the car, mowing the lawn and watching Grandstand. As a result, the terraces were left to younger males' rivalry.

That's a very rough outline of a sociological explanation ... take it as you will. But it would suggest that what we saw in that period was very much of its time.

1 person likes this.