• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

buttons

Reaction score

It's nice to hear of somebody in retail who's that passionate about the gear.  About Allen Edmonds, maybe they was old stock, but I bought a pair of black AE longwings in Hamilton Ontario last year and they were most certainly made in the US.  Very nice brogues, double oak sole, etc, and maybe 3/5 the price of Alden.  
  So have AE gone fully Far East?  Too bad if so. Weren't they once known as the Great American Shoe Company? 
  So what loafers didja pick up in SF?  Almost picked up a pair of Alden loafers yesterday in Kansas City but passed. I dig beefroll/Cape Cod style loafers but tried out a pair of straight up penny loafers and they looked a bit "professorial" and defo not very "skinhead" or even very cool on me...

I know the bloke in Aldens is obviously going to say his shoes are better than the competition's, but he was saying AE (and Florsheim) are not using USA Horween shells anymore, so the quality was inferior and that's how they managed to offer a more favourable price.
I bought the Cape Cod pennies - much preferred the styling to their wide strap option.

I saw some Florsheim smooths in cordovan in Rome last year and they were very cheap (think about 220 quid). Not a bad shoe but compared to the Aldens, like a value sausage next to a rump steak!

HughJ

Reaction score

I know the bloke in Aldens is obviously going to say his shoes are better than the competition's, but he was saying AE (and Florsheim) are not using USA Horween shells anymore, so the quality was inferior and that's how they managed to offer a more favourable price.

I am under the impression that they still do use Horween on some models, but possibly not top quality. I've read of some skepticism regarding where the bulk of the work is done, which could also add to the price gap.

buttons

Reaction score

I am under the impression that they still do use Horween on some models, but possibly not top quality. I've read of some skepticism regarding where the bulk of the work is done, which could also add to the price gap.

That may well be the case. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of secrets if you dig down a bit.
Like the ready meals you buy that say made in England - half the time, they're made somewhere like Rumania, then they come to England, we add the salt and stir it a bit, then slap a UJ sticker on it.

The further you go back, the better the quality, I'm assuming, but where the boundaries lie would be very difficult to find.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Cape Cod pennies - much preferred the styling to their wide strap option.

I saw some Florsheim smooths in cordovan in Rome last year and they were very cheap (think about 220 quid). Not a bad shoe but compared to the Aldens, like a value sausage next to a rump steak!

Very nice! Exactly the style I was after in Kansas City but they didn't have them beefroll loafers.
Of course an Alden dealer will champion his brand- but at least he was telling the truth, haha. They blow the competition outta the water.

There are so many facets and intricacies to the "look", so very interesting in its minutae. It's incredible that there are over 700 pages of interesting stuff here. Kudos to all of you for your stories, reflections, and information. Whenever the proposed book comes out, it's going to blow any of its predecessors away.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I got my Allen Edmonds Four years ago brill quality, The only problem with them they are to pointed...and the Aldens too round.

There is nothing in the UK to compare to the above..Church..Crocket & Jones , Trickers don't do longings,

Roy, I was in Jermyn St yesterday and noticed Tricker's had two pairs of very nice, chunky longwings in their window for £360. They were not cordovan, of course.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, I was in Jermyn St yesterday and noticed Tricker's had two pairs of very nice, chunky longwings in their window for £360. They were not cordovan, of course.

Thanks for the Info John ..do like Tricker's will pop in and have a look.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their is a shop just around the corner from J Simmons selling Alden Brogues ..I was not that impressed and they did not look Cordovan although they said on the inside??
Cordovan is made from Horse Hide..you can tell a mile off..also the care of the shoe is different than normal leather, i.e. you buff the Cordovan. rather that apply polish which ruins the look,...also when you first buy them they have a milky look which is natural over a few months of buffing this tends to disappear.

If you look at my Crockett & Jones Shoes You can tell the quality of the Cordovan leather.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have spoken about Loake on here before, I never wore them in the 60s....only Royals from the Ivy Shop ...Loake was the poor man Royals a lot cheaper and they looked it. Lads would get the piss taken out of them for wearing them...thats the way it was back then..you had to have the proper kit. In saying that i like the shape of todays Loake brogues, still would not buy them though, just could not do it,:D

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have spoken about Loake on here before, I never wore them in the 60s....only Royals from the Ivy Shop ...Loake was the poor man Royals a lot cheaper and they looked it. Lads would get the piss taken out of them for wearing them...thats the way it was back then..you had to have the proper kit.
In saying that i like the shape of todays Loake brogues, still would not buy them though, just could not do it,:D

I do not remember that style of Loakes being available in the late 60s - otherwise I would have got some. I searched high and low for cheaper alternatives to Royals but never found any until many years later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads