• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Crackers – I knew the name rang a bell. I was taken up there in 72 ish as an apprentice to give a hand to carry in various fittings. The place was due to open in a week or so. I was reluctant to go as I did not want to traipse all the way to central London just for a day.

Until I realised that while we were there the management were interviewing girls for bar staff, dancers etc and they were beauties all in their best finery out to impress.

Being around 17 all I can remember was the property had windows and double doors that opened directly onto the pavement. I am sure the signage was red with hand painted lettering

I might be totally wrong but it would be interesting to know

flyfronted

Reaction score
Flyfronted, are you one of the fellers in your avatar? Just curious, as I remember reading Barrie K's memories of Crackers somewhere. It would be good to hear the original Duffer boys' take on the suede period as I recall from interviews that they were quite knowledgeable about the top end of street fashions (much like yourself). I think one of them even described their style as suavehead at one point., which is a pretty neat term in my opinion. Reuben Wilson- I play this out to this day (on original vinyl may I add) and its a winner every time : )
No i nicked the Duffer - i do know Eddie quite well ( he runs IMO the best independent mens shop in London these days - PRESENT on Shoreditch high st ) and have met Barrie quite a few times . They were all baby skinheads from the original era .

yankmod

Reaction score
No i nicked the Duffer - i do know Eddie quite well ( he runs IMO the best independent mens shop in London these days - PRESENT on Shoreditch high st ) and have met Barrie quite a few times . They were all baby skinheads from the original era .
Checked out your boys store PRESENT.Nice stuff except the NYC paper coffee cup for 12 pounds.It's gotta be a joke.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember Crackers from the mid 70s.Used to go there for the Friday Afternoon Session(sometimes).Great Music-and cheap to get in.Wish someone would start up somewhere where there is a Afternoon Session of Music.Brilliant!!!:)

yankmod

Reaction score
I spoke to soon flyfronted(often the case) The Iconic NYC coffee cup is an enviornmentally friendly Ceramic replica. Ed I understand what your sayin but your comment could be misconstrued.Just remain seated for a few minutes then. I agree very nice brogues.

Watermelon man

Reaction score

elwood

Reaction score
Known as 'split the kipper' in south Manchester... badge of honour/war wound when the blade went through your sand-shoe and just nicked your toes.

Then a thick ear when you got home for ruining another pair at 7/6d a pair!!!
happy.gif

And Roy, now i think on, a lad in another mob only had one eye due to a childhood mishap - I'd forgotten about that.

Still, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
satisfied.gif
It was also known as "split the kipper" north of Manchester. Every lad seemed to have a penknife at that time from being 7 or 8. Can't remember the last time I saw one in the hands of anyone under 50.

elwood

Reaction score
Thats what we called it, When You think of it we did some dangerous things as kids..Our Parents never knew a thing,
One sad story a lad around our way climbed up a electric pylon and was burnt to a cinder, They had to turn off the current to get his body down.
Where I lived as a kid, north Manchester former mill town, there were a lot of what we knew as "lodges" - reservoirs that held water for the old steam-driven mills. They were deceptive to kids because they were very still and not that wide, but in fact were very deep and very cold. A few weeks sunshine (which is what passed for summer round there) wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the year. Every year there would be a couple of drownings of lads who'd gone swimming in lodges to cool off in summer and then been pulled down by cramp from the cold water. Happened to a lad in my class at primary school. Saw him on the last day before the summer holidays. He didn't come back in September.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads