• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess that was back when American made goods was something to be proud of.

So by the English wing tips, you mean these ones?

And these as American wing tips?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I guess that was back when American made goods was something to be proud of. So by the English wing tips, you mean these ones? And these as American wing tips?
Spot on mate. I am still obsessed with American Ivy, My Alan Edmonds Made in USA Cordovan Brouges, The nearest thing to the Original Royals, Alden do a nice pair also,

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
When we invented the Skinhead fashion [ not knowing we was skinheads] at school 67/68..we wore cheap cloths, Cherry Red Commando, Army Hob Nails, and Steel Cap Boots, Dickies jeans, Nylon Monkey Jackets, any type of Shirt, Sweatshirts, Donkey Jackets, Jungle Greens, Heavy Cardigans, Back then the fashion was pure Working Class..
I'm re-posting Lasttye's words as they are important to this story.Great pics of your BD's Lasttye. Great info everyone on BD's.There are so many BD's around by so many Co.'s that I only buy thrift store,second hand.Obviously you have to be very choosy.I can go thru a rack of shirts in no time.Percentages are small. Botolph is correct about New England bein very Ivy/Preppy.That is where the Prep schools are that give you the name. .The classism that exists there is very strong and the Prep school/ Ivy League is the top.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yeah I guess that was back when American made goods was something to be proud of. So by the English wing tips, you mean these ones? And these as American wing tips?
When we first saw guys wearing what later we came to know as Royals, we didn't know how to describe them. They were so different from the classic English brogue that our dads wore - normally based on an Oxford shoe - they blew our minds. This Church's Diplomat is a half-brogue, of course:
The 'American wingtip' differed in so many respects. It was chunkier with a double welt, it was based on a Derby style (US Blucher) with open lacing and it came in burgundy! The most striking difference was the continuation of the brougue design right to the back of the shoe (hence long wing):
I don't remember the terms wingtip or long wing being used at the time but rather just Royal brogue or plain caps. Others may recall it differently. Wingtip is of course an Americanism which came about when someone spotted that the shape of the broguing close to the toe resembled that of a bird’s outstretched wing.

Last edited:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm re-posting Lasttye's words as they are important to this story.Great pics of your BD's Lasttye.               Great info everyone on BD's.There are so many BD's around by so many Co.'s that I only buy thrift store,second hand.Obviously you have to be very choosy.I can go thru a rack of shirts in no time.Percentages are small.      Botolph is correct about New England bein very Ivy/Preppy.That is where the Prep schools are that give you the name. .The classism that exists there is very strong and the Prep school/ Ivy League is the top.

Interesting you use the word classicism, yankmod. I think in the later skinhead period (late 1969 – early 1970) there was a real sense that things had to have some ‘authenticity’. Whether it was the US-made BD with ‘soil release’ stamped on the tail, the classic piece of English knitwear, the bespoke suit or the red pocket hanky – they all had to be the very best you could afford and ideally with a ‘story’ behind them.

Looking back, in some ways it felt like the prototype of what I came to know much later (in the 1980s) when only a ‘Made in Italy’ label would do.

Lerk

Reaction score

Great. post some pics.Fashion show style.

Well, i tend travel light so theres not that much variation in what i wore
Every trip should start with an ale.

Me, and Henry Vs sword

Kings Cross, i think

Brogues and blakeys

Shepards Bush Market

Covent garden or therebouts.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
I'll join in on the shoe fun, these are from my little brother, he's not a skinhead but a mod, but he prefers the ivy shoe side of the skinheads, then all the funky topper shoe and wallebee and desert boot wearing mods. nothings vintage though all new, all shell cordovan:

Does the first shoe on the left look like a Gibson shoe? My little brother could not care less, but I'm curious if it looked like that or if it's different again. Still have no clear idea what a Gibson shoe is supposed to look like. I like his smooth shoes a lot, very jealous of it.

I got myself these brogues from meermin, also shell cordovan (ain't got a camera with me to make the photo).

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John I got the Mc Neils from the States,

Loempiavreter,

The shoes on the left in your photo look like Gibsons, I have a pair of Alan Edmonds Walton, which are similar to Gibsons with the front Apron, MoM said the Apron went further towards the tip of the shoe, I had a pair in 70 but just cant remember.

This is my pair.

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
Interesting you use the word classicism, yankmod. I think in the later skinhead period (late 1969 – early 1970) there was a real sense that things had to have some ‘authenticity’. Whether it was the US-made BD with ‘soil release’ stamped on the tail, the classic piece of English knitwear, the bespoke suit or the red pocket hanky – they all had to be the very best you could afford and ideally with a ‘story’ behind them.

Looking back, in some ways it felt like the prototype of what I came to know much later (in the 1980s) when only a ‘Made in Italy’ label would do.
Didn't say "Classicism"Said "Classism"No worries, The sentance works with both words though.The last sentence I agree with.The skins were obsessed with specific brands(some from outside the country)like the casuals later.Lets not forget the original casuals were called Perry Boys cause they wore Fred Perry. Lerk,You look great,thanks for posting those pics svenska poika (my grandma was Swedish,thats all the swedish I know also svenska flicka)Don't know why the type went slanted.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Didn't say "Classicism"Said "Classism"No worries, The sentance works with both words though.The last sentence I agree with.The skins were obsessed with specific brands(some from outside the country)like the casuals later.Lets not forget the original casuals were called Perry Boys cause they wore Fred Perry. Lerk,You look great,thanks for posting those pics svenska poika (my grandma was Swedish,thats all the swedish I know also svenska flicka)Don't know why the type went slanted.
dont belive that rubbish about 'Perry boys ' in the late 70s all the teenage boys wore fred perrys from soul boys to two tone kids to boneheads . Casuals first sported Lacoste than Ralph - fred perry was far to easily avalible , cheap and english

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll join in on the shoe fun, these are from my little brother, he's not a skinhead but a mod, but he prefers the ivy shoe side of the skinheads, then all the funky topper shoe and wallebee and desert boot wearing mods. nothings vintage though all new, all shell cordovan:

Does the first shoe on the left look like a Gibson shoe? My little brother could not care less, but I'm curious if it looked like that or if it's different again. Still have no clear idea what a Gibson shoe is supposed to look like. I like his smooth shoes a lot, very jealous of it.

I got myself these brogues from meermin, also shell cordovan (ain't got a camera with me to make the photo).

The Apron Stitching came nearer up to the Toe(Royal Gibsons),then the middle stitching went down the Toe.I can remember them in Black only.I loved Royals,they seem to last for ever.

Interesting Posts about Shirts.I look on the Ivy League Clothes Sites to see what is about.

Shep

Reaction score

I was lucky enough to come across this very,very nice original 1960s Ben Sherman in A1 brand new condition.In a totally different class to todays Bennies but sadly in a size 14.5 collar so clearly no good to a bigger chap like me.I ended up selling it but I hope I come across another one one day...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads