• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We wore Silk Scarves(Polka Dots and Paisley) the same as Mods.In fact I still like wearing them now!The only time we wore Football Scarves was to Football-unless we were infiltrateing the Opposition Skins.

I had a burgundy scarf with small white polkas. It was a hang-over from the mods, but on the other hand if it was winter and you were going somewhere smart you wouldn't wear a football scarf. Nobody ever turned up at the Savoy with anything to do with football.

On a different tack, does anyone know anywhere in the UK I can get Doc M 1560 boot in brown?

(This damn new forum is not sending me any alerts. Again :( )

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
this one?

that brown (smooth) is a new color I think, dont remember seeing it before. it was always the matte/distressed kinda brown

that costs about 80 quid, if you cant find it cheaper we can always proxy it for you and ship to UK. (about 20 quid to ship so factor that into price as well). I found when in London, the price of DMs costs more than stateside, for the same boot (based on price at the DM store in COvent garden) very odd when you think about it.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this one?
that brown (smooth) is a new color I think, dont remember seeing it before. it was always the matte/distressed kinda brown
that costs about 80 quid, if you cant find it cheaper we can always proxy it for you and ship to UK. (about 20 quid to ship so factor that into price as well). I found when in London, the price of DMs costs more than stateside, for the same boot (based on price at the DM store in COvent garden) very odd when you think about it.

Jason I'm afraid the link doesn't work for me. This is what I'm thinking about. And if that link doesn't work for you I'll see if I can post a pic below.

As you all know, back in the day I always preferred brown boots (non-DM) to black or red.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My doctor told me to lose weight, as a result of which I am now a 36" waist. I have one pair of 40" Wrangler jeans and one pair of 42" Relco Sta-Prest which I would like to go to a good home. I would take any decent pair of 36" waist strides in exchange, or a Tootal polka-dot scarf, or just the P&P if you really need the strides. UK/EU first please. PM me.

M-o-M

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Jason I'm afraid the link doesn't work for me. This is what I'm thinking about. And if that link doesn't work for you I'll see if I can post a pic below.
As you all know, back in the day I always preferred brown boots (non-DM) to black or red.

do you know what the leather is called? They seem like the dark brown "For Life" boots. The brass eyelets and the brown pull tab are consistent with the FL boots. The way it's photo'd the leather looks slightly different tho, but hard to say for sure. If so those cost $150 (about 100 quid) stateside, for your price matching purposes....

here's a pic from the DM site

Sipreano

Reaction score

do you know what the leather is called? They seem like the dark brown "For Life" boots. The brass eyelets and the brown pull tab are consistent with the FL boots. The way it's photo'd the leather looks slightly different tho, but hard to say for sure. If so those cost $150 (about 100 quid) stateside, for your price matching purposes....

here's a pic from the DM site

It's called Zenith leather: http://www.scorpioshoes.com/mens-2/boots-6/casual-boots-53/martens-1460-mens-modern-classics-quality-9453.htm

Might be a model they are no longer producing as it's not on the DM site. The leather seems to be smooth, while the for life looks to be textured.
Both look great imo.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of British made DMs Two years ago , the first since the 60s, I just cant break em in, I'am sure i never had the same trouble back then, I have worn boots every day all my life and never had the same problem that i have with these DMs.

Last edited:

harrysgame

Reaction score
The leather is all different these days Roy. I remember the leather on DMs used to be really supple. Last pair i bought in about 2002 are still fairly stiff in the ankle area. Older ones used to be like an old leather jacket after a couple of months in the ankle area.

Thats why people will pay a fortune for vintage boots Roy.

Last edited:

Choco G

Reaction score
I bought a pair of British made DMs Two years ago , the first since the 60s, I just cant break em in, I'am sure i never had the same trouble back then, I have worn boots every day all my life and never had the same problem that i have with these DMs.

I bought a pair of the Made in England Vintage 1460's around 3 weeks ago. I have worn them most days since getting them and they are breaking in nicely, very comfortable and I find the leather to be very soft and supple. I consider them a real bargain too at 85 quid including post. I prefer Red Wing's to DM's now and they last a lot longer too, obviously not a Skinhead boot but still a classic.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

that's interesting because my experience is nearly oppposite. I remember when I got my first couple pairs of DMs in the mid 80s, those were so hard to break in (finally did but took a long time). Now, the MiE boots are comfortable from day 1 and TBH they dont need breaking in at all. The miE Langston oxblood boot I recently got is the only modern DM that needed a day or two of breaking in as the leather feels thicker than the 1460 miE boots, but they've been fine since.

I bought a pair of the Made in England Vintage 1460's around 3 weeks ago. I have worn them most days since getting them and they are breaking in nicely, very comfortable and I find the leather to be very soft and supple. I consider them a real bargain too at 85 quid including post. I prefer Red Wing's to DM's now and they last a lot longer too, obviously not a Skinhead boot but still a classic.

I love Red Wing "Gentleman Traveler" boots. Have the black cherry one, and it's a great oxblood color. Very similar looking to DMs, but much sturdier as you say. I'd rather be kicked with DMs than Red Wings, as the RW will do far more damage!! Talking about breaking in, these were hard boots to break in. Took about 2 weeks of bloody ankles, almost unwearable for that time, but after they mold to your feet/leg, they became as comfortable as slippers and I cant believe they were ever so uncomfortable.

I wear mine DM style rather than typical RW style....some might think that mental but who gives a ****. Here's a pic wearing Red Wings from 2007 while on honeymoon in Rome

Choco G

Reaction score
that's interesting because my experience is nearly oppposite. I remember when I got my first couple pairs of DMs in the mid 80s, those were so hard to break in (finally did but took a long time). Now, the MiE boots are comfortable from day 1 and TBH they dont need breaking in at all. The miE Langston oxblood boot I recently got is the only modern DM that needed a day or two of breaking in as the leather feels thicker than the 1460 miE boots, but they've been fine since.
I love Red Wing "Gentleman Traveler" boots. Have the black cherry one, and it's a great oxblood color. Very similar looking to DMs, but much sturdier as you say. I'd rather be kicked with DMs than Red Wings, as the RW will do far more damage!! Talking about breaking in, these were hard boots to break in. Took about 2 weeks of bloody ankles, almost unwearable for that time, but after they mold to your feet/leg, they became as comfortable as slippers and I cant believe they were ever so uncomfortable.
I wear mine DM style rather than typical RW style....some might think that mental but who gives a ****. Here's a pic wearing Red Wings from 2007 while on honeymoon in Rome

Looking very smart as usual mate! I wear the standard 8138 Red Wings. I got my first pair back in the day after I saw Neil Young wearing them. I've had no trouble with either the new MiE DM's or RW's, both have been very kind to me (and my feet) thru the breaking in period - no bloody ankles or blisters at all!

HughJ

Reaction score
For me, it was always the thick rubber sole and the footbed that took so long to break in. I have noticed a difference in the quality of leather over the past few decades, but never considered it much of a factor in breaking them in. That said, haven't owned a pair in nearly 10 years, so maybe my memory is off.

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score
I've noticed that when polishing the vintage MIE's the wax tends to crack and flake off much faster than in my other boots. I have a habit of 'bulling' the boot to a glossy finish. In the military I was always taught to burn the wax with a lighter until it liquifies which makes the wax embed itself quicker into the leather and takes care of some of the inevitable flaking. However the wax still tends to flake off sooner or later. Then again my mie 1490s have a hard leather and are relatively still new and as already mentioned require more effort to break in.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed that when polishing the vintage MIE's the wax tends to crack and flake off much faster than in my other boots. I have a habit of 'bulling' the boot to a glossy finish. In the military I was always taught to burn the wax with a lighter until it liquifies which makes the wax embed itself quicker into the leather and takes care of some of the inevitable flaking. However the wax still tends to flake off sooner or later. Then again my mie 1490s have a hard leather and are relatively still new and as already mentioned require more effort to break in.

Bulling boots was a pointless pastime, The boots would crack as soon as you slammed your feet into attention, I also do not get this polishing DMs to such a high shine, Back in the 60s most the time our boots was in **** order, Think i would put polish on once a week, mostly to go around the youth club.:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads