• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

The boots would crack as soon as you slammed your feet into attention, I also do not get this polishing DMs to such a high shine, Back in the 60s most the time our boots was in **** order, Think i would put polish on once a week, mostly to go around the youth club.:)

Yes all the effort to spit shine only to crack as soon as you take your first steps. I've given up spit shining the entire boot to a high finish altogether. Only some areas of the boots where the wax is not likely to crack like the tips and the back portion.

I have heard that very few originals actually took the time to polish their boots only on ocassions when visiting clubs did most make an effort. Boots for the most part were street wear and were treated as such. But what about brogues where they ever bulled to a high shine back in the day?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes all the effort to spit shine only to crack as soon as you take your first steps. I've given up spit shining the entire boot to a high finish altogether. Only some areas of the boots where the wax is not likely to crack like the tips and the back portion.
I have heard that very few originals actually took the time to polish their boots only on ocassions when visiting clubs did most make an effort. Boots for the most part were street wear and were treated as such. But what about brogues where they ever bulled to a high shine back in the day?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Must say mate you have done a good job on your boots, Guardsman standard,

Yes we would spend hours shining our Brogues , Plain Caps would come up to a lovely shine, Many a Skinhead in the 60s would get into a fight because someone had stepped on their Shoes at a Disco.:)

Last edited:

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

Must say mate you have done a good job on your boots, Guardsman standard,
Yes we would spend hours shining our Brogues , Plain Caps would come up to a lovely shine, Many a Skinhead in the 60s would get into a fight because someone had stepped on their Shoes at a Disco.:)

Thanks.

I figured as much. Brogues are easier more convenient to shine. Personally I keep one pair of boots in **** order and the other more parade style for looking smart. Just a habit I guess.

About breaking in your new docs. Have you tried stepping in a bucket of warm water and wearing them all day to soften up the leather? I find that helps.

Big Muscle

Reaction score

Yes all the effort to spit shine only to crack as soon as you take your first steps. I've given up spit shining the entire boot to a high finish altogether.

I found a simple workaround for this. When you spit&shine your boots to high gloss, just put them on and make some steps. Polish will crack in creases, so wipe it with a brush. Then buff it with a damp cotton ball. It will take the gloss back and polish will not crack anymore.

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

I found a simple workaround for this. When you spit&shine your boots to high gloss, just put them on and make some steps. Polish will crack in creases, so wipe it with a brush. Then buff it with a damp cotton ball. It will take the gloss back and polish will not crack anymore.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that one.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.
I figured as much. Brogues are easier more convenient to shine. Personally I keep one pair of boots in **** order and the other more parade style for looking smart. Just a habit I guess.
About breaking in your new docs. Have you tried stepping in a bucket of warm water and wearing them all day to soften up the leather? I find that helps.

When I was in the Paras we done so much running around that the sweat would break boots in no time, Yes i have heard about filling them up with warm water, but the Sgt Major would put you on a charge for doing it .:D

At Harry said the DMs these days are just different leather. I paid £130 for mine two years ago, and the quality are no way as good as say Timberlands.

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

When I was in the Paras we done so much running around that the sweat would break boots in no time, Yes i have heard about filling them up with warm water, but the Sgt Major would put you on a charge for doing it .:D
At Harry said the DMs these days are just different leather. I paid £130 for mine two years ago, and the quality are no way as good as say Timberlands.

Brings back memories of my time in the service, running around in boots, road marches and all, perfect way to break them in but blisters galore at the end of each day. :nodding:
I was greatful for a pair of Danner desert boots in the sandbox for a change, to this day still the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

The DM company advertises their MIE vintage line as "original specs," but did the DMs back then have softer leather? The quality of the leather aside, is today's "vintage" line a true replica of the originals worn back in the 60s?

I bought my very first DM pair in 1988/89, and I don't remember the leather being as hard as it is on the "vintage" line.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do you know what the leather is called? They seem like the dark brown "For Life" boots. The brass eyelets and the brown pull tab are consistent with the FL boots. The way it's photo'd the leather looks slightly different tho, but hard to say for sure. If so those cost $150 (about 100 quid) stateside, for your price matching purposes....
here's a pic from the DM site

Jason I can get brown DMs from my wife's catalogue ('La Redoute') but they cost about £150 which is bloody extortionate! I'll see how I'm fixed after Xmas, and whether I can get a decent pair of shoes to go with my A2 jacket.

On the plus side I got a nice pair of Levi 501 'One Wash' jeans for £50 from my local Debenhams.

Next I need to replace those Sta-Prest which are now 6" too big round the waist... They're going to the Cancer Research charity shop unless someone on here wants them. Same for my Wranglers.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People, the site is still not giving me regular alerts when there's a new post here.

Just some news on the book. My editing is coming very slowly, due to other pressures, but I am making a little progress. I should have some provisional chapters to send to Little Queenie for 'assistant editor' duties by the end of the year, then once she has worked her magic on them I shall be sending them round to the rest of 'The Firm' for comments and additions.

Little Queenie

Reaction score

People, the site is still not giving me regular alerts when there's a new post here.
Just some news on the book. My editing is coming very slowly, due to other pressures, but I am making a little progress. I should have some provisional chapters to send to Little Queenie for 'assistant editor' duties by the end of the year, then once she has worked her magic on them I shall be sending them round to the rest of 'The Firm' for comments and additions.

The alert has stopped working on my account too, M-o-M.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must of missed something regarding Silk Polka dot and Paisly Scarfs, never saw em around our way, Football scarfs was worn but not at football , if that makes sense,:)

Paisley scarves were definitely worn Up North originally.

I had one when I started out 'up North'. Down in the Lewisham area (down South) we did have Tootal scarves, usually Burgundy with small white polkas, but it wasn't a big thing.

that sid

Reaction score
I had one when I started out 'up North'. Down in the Lewisham area (down South) we did have Tootal scarves, usually Burgundy with small white polkas, but it wasn't a big thing.

Lewisham born and bred here. Worked with a few original skins when i was on the council. Did you frequent the club opposite the old Mc Donalds that i believe is a Black and Decker building at Rushey Green?
Two brothers i know from back then, Roy and (Reggae) Bob, rode around on vespa SS 180's and i believe were not to be messed with in them days, frequented this place on a regular basis. Lived in the flats at the bottom of Verdant Lane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads