Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

I have seen M-o-M posted a couple times in this thread that they wore polka dot tootal in navy or black with white dots on his patch. Maybe for those with mod roots?

@ek77
    Great footage! Thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

We wore Silk Scarves(Polka Dots and Paisley) the same as Mods.In fact I still like wearing them now!The only time we wore Football Scarves was to Football-unless we were infiltrateing the Opposition Skins.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hi that sid.Hows it going?

4. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

I only ever saw football scarves being worn. Having said that, I remember my cousins sometimes wearing polka dot scarves around '68. They were older (18-21) from south east London and still called themselves Mods then, although they wore the Skinhead uniform of the day. I still have a Paisley Tootal scarf that a cousin gave me in '69. I wouldn't wear it out until '71 and then only if I had a suit on and my Crombie too. I didn't want to be different and stand out. I never saw Boneheads wearing Tootal style scarves in the late '70's or early '80's, only revival Mods, the later "Acid Jazz" type Mods as well as Mod types now who all seem to want to look like Paul bleedin' Weller!

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I must of missed something regarding Silk Polka dot and Paisly Scarfs, never saw em around our way, Football scarfs was worn but not at football , if that makes sense,:)

6. Choco G

I'm with you on this one Roy, as I said in my previous post I only ever saw football scarves worn whether at football or not. I don't remember Tootal style scarves being a Skinhead item but as said previous, I did have family that wore Polka Dot scarves very early on but even then it was rare. I went to football with them and the ubiquitous footie scarf would be worn...never a ponsie polka dot or paisley one! [​IMG]

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

We would wear our football scarfs at football for a while, by 70 we no longer wore them, We thought by not wearing them you could not be identified by the opposition, which was fine at London games, but if you went up North, they knew you was say Chelsea and Londoners by your smart appearance. But we did wear our Scarfs in the Winter around our Streets just for warmth.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

8. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

10. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Choco not all late 70s early 80s Skinheads were boneheads.

11. Choco G

Agreed mate, as at this time me and most of my friends were either Skinheads or Mods. It was a very fine line between them and not always down to the length of hair! But Boneheads were a different breed altogether.

12. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I like Tootal scarves. Have quite a few. Only really wear about 3 of these lately.
    I think they are part of the skinhead 'uniform' these days, rightly or wrongly, and you do see a lot about.

I've always liked the polka dots, BUT i've always felt they look a little TOO mod. But if they were worn back in the day, then they are the real deal.
    I've bought all my scarfs second hand off e-bay along with some 'Duggie' scarfs (an offshoot of Tootal? ?)
    Only paid about 10-13 quid each a scarf.
    The only thing with buying these pre-owned vintage scarfs is you never know if someone's Grandma has worn it for years as a head scarf [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

13. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

With regards to football scarves. There is a nice web site with most teams colours.
    A bit pricey at near 50 quid. But, if the quality is as good as they make out, and you are passionate about yout team. May be worth a look.
    Think I may wait till Birmingham city are back in the prem before I purchase a 50 quid blues scarf..

http://www.savile-rogue.com/

They are cashmere wool. So could suit a smart skin. Seperates you from all the Nylon market stall tat, you see on the terraces.

14. Choco G

Won't the price be closer to a couple of grand by then? [​IMG]

15. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Agreed. Boneheads are just bald punks as far as im concerned but with mostly right wing leanings..