• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

elwood

Reaction score
Elwood - no, I don't remember that at all. My first recollection of clothes shopping in Manchester was in New Brown Street in early 1970 when I went to buy my first checked shirt. I bought a Brutus one in light turquoise and grey. Prior to that I used to get most of my stuff from a tiny shop in an arcade in Rochdale. I can still remember buying my first pair of Levi's from there (I even recall the smell of them!) and going straight home and sitting in the bath wearing them. For a young skinhead, New Brown Street was a pretty exciting place to go with all the painted buildings and the music playing. I went to Carnaby Street in 1972 and was really disappointed - no comparison to the atmosphere we had enjoyed in Manchester. (probably 8 years too late in Carnaby Street) Of course by that time New Brown Street had been demolished and the clothes shops had moved to a precinct above the Oasis market.
I remember New Brown Street too. Disappeared in the great demolition - mid 1971? - to clear the way for building the Arndale Centre I think. I got my Crombie in Rochdale but don't think it was from a shop in an arcade, somewhere on the main street.

elwood

Reaction score

Basset

Reaction score

My apologies for my absence this year so far I've been poping in but not much chatting! Lol
Anyway it was great to have a catch up in margate this weekend just gone.
Sorry I couldn't make the meet up during the day time (due to work Commitments)
It would of been great to meet ace and eights again! But till next time......

One of the only pics I got over the weekend
Saturday night!
Buttons, my good self, brownie and good old Basset
biggrin.gif

Was good to see you mate, your commitment and ethic towards work will carry you a long way.
Another pic from saturday nite, same line up, crickey it was like a nissan hut in that place

Lerk

Reaction score
A nice shopping stroll the other day, found a sale that just happened to sell nice burgundy harringtons and DM brogues. Not proper brogues as in royals but good enough for everyday usage

buttons

Reaction score

There were some who had the "Mohican"about in `69/`70.I know because one of our rival Mobs used to have a few with that haircut.It did not last too long though.

Like this kind of thing?

That's quite a shocking style statement for them days. I would have thought when Taxi Driver came out (Feb 76) it would have been pretty controversial. I'd imagine a good haircut to get you into a fight but a bad one to get you into a club ..... or a job ...... (or a bird!)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
This Mohican haircut was wear by the American paratrooters who jumped over France in 1944 to show their "Esprit de corps"

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was good to see you mate, your commitment and ethic towards work will carry you a long way. Another pic from saturday nite, same line up, crickey it was like a nissan hut in that place
Good Photo(memo to myself-must lose weight :)).It was like a bloody Sauna. As Basset said,Mr.Twist Tag,your work ethics are sadly lacking in many People today.Good luck to you Mate.
There were some who had the "Mohican"about in `69/`70.I know because one of our rival Mobs used to have a few with that haircut.It did not last too long though. Like this kind of thing?
That's quite a shocking style statement for them days. I would have thought when Taxi Driver came out (Feb 76) it would have been pretty controversial. I'd imagine a good haircut to get you into a fight but a bad one to get you into a club ..... or a job ...... (or a bird!)
The front was not that long-but yes it was an eye-opener.:)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
browniecj.Thanks for the post about the mohicans,i was never sure wether to believe the stories but now i know,it goes to prove that just because you didnt see something it may have happened somewhere.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau. I have seen the pictures of those US paras,i think that some of them may have been native Americans ( indians ).If you have the haircut and you didnt like it,you can just cut it to a number 1 all over,its easy to sort out not like a face tattoo !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed this thread,but the last few days have shown how many different ideas there are on here about the subject.I am surprised that the thread hasnt spawned other threads, it dosent bother me too much when i see something that i have no interest in but it does seem to annoy some people if the posts are not what they want to read about.I am not talking about splitting the thread but about new thread/s that are more interest specific...would that be a good idea ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Cerneabbas, you are right, there were Amerindians among those Paratroopers, and their fellow comrades adopted the same haircut. you had to have bloody guts to jump over Normandy at the time... And about what you say, it exactly happened to me. One evening where i drank to much, a long long time ago, i ended up with a Mohican haircut.. And few days later with a number 1... They did not appreciated my Indian look where i worked then...

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed this thread,but the last few days have shown how many different ideas there are on here about the subject.I am surprised that the thread hasnt spawned other threads, it dosent bother me too much when i see something that i have no interest in but it does seem to annoy some people if the posts are not what they want to read about.I am not talking about splitting the thread but about new thread/s that are more interest specific...would that be a good idea ?
Hi cerneabbas I did attempt this on one occasion shortly after joining SF but was rounded on by a few members who felt we should keep everything together here. I think it's a bit unwieldy and diverse now and it may be worth trying a specific thread. The change to a more disparate discussion seemed to come with the name change and arrival of new people (no disrespect to anyone). My other thread was called Skinhead to Smooth and explored that period from mid 1970 and was started when I was called 'Brideshead'. It's still on here.

The period from 1965 - 68 warrants more attention IMHO. For me this pic that formed the basis of an excellent thread on FNB entitled cool and understated sums up the exquisite style of the period:

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Knightley. I had a look at your thread and i think that its a good idea,IMO it would probably have been better not to have used skinhead in the thread title.I dont know why anyone on here should object to new threads,if they wanted to make a specific thread for Dr Marten boots or bands that play/played in some remote part of the USA,or even a re-enactors thread i think that should be encouraged in fact i think that it would make this thread more interesting ( IMO ).Perhaps even a thread that includes what ageing ex skinheads wear now and where to buy it.After all one of the more interesting discussions recently has been about the "minets",and that really might not have been in the remit of this thread ?.I think that the strength of this thread is being able to ask the "originals" a question ( ie my query about mohicans ) and get it answered.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Knightley. I had a look at your thread and i think that its a good idea,IMO it would probably have been better not to have used skinhead in the thread title.I dont know why anyone on here should object to new threads,if they wanted to make a specific thread for Dr Marten boots or bands that play/played in some remote part of the USA,or even a re-enactors thread i think that should be encouraged in fact i think that it would make this thread more interesting ( IMO ).Perhaps even a thread that includes what ageing ex skinheads wear now and where to buy it.After all one of the more interesting discussions recently has been about the "minets",and that really might not have been in the remit of this thread ?.I think that the strength of this thread is being able to ask the "originals" a question ( ie my query about mohicans ) and get it answered.
I agree with you. If you look across these boards here at Style Forum there are many very specific threads which come and go and are often repeated over time. Nothing against that.

As you say any new thread should avoid skinhead in the title these days.

I am happy to give a list of what I wear now that harks back to the Day and where I get it.

yankmod

Reaction score
Great pic of the Gents at Margate.No Denim in sight(that's class) Don't know what your sayin browniecj. Lerk post a pic of the Harrington if you can. If this thread was ONLY about clothing all the time it wouldn't be as interesting and the book would end up a bore.Let's not forget that Folks have made friends thru this thread,and if you want to know where the next Foot Stomper is ask browniecj,he's got the energy and passion of a Teen.TA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads