• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
All of us original Skinheads was brought up with the Beatles Stones, Faces The Who, ***** Tonk Woman was a massive hit for us Skinheads in 69, every night i walk into the Phoenix Youth Club it was banging out of the Juke Box,
Spirt in the Sky was another big hit in 69 the Skinhead Girls would dance to it in long rows,
By 70 we was moving on, i remember going out and buying Deep Purple in Rock..brilliant Album.
Thanks Lasttye.That was my next question.Were the Skins into the new Heavy Metal/Rock.Deep Purple answers that.Love Richie Blackmore.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was lucky in that ,as a Kid,I could hold of my Dad`s old Butcher Knives.They were never in locked Drawers.We played "Splits" with them and(later) with a Bowie Knife-that could be bought openly in Millets.I was always warned to never bring Trouble to the door(that included the Old Bill).My two Sisters did enough of that though!!!:)

Yankmod-the love of Groups like Led Zeppelin, etc., did not last long with exSkinheads.Mine lasted all of 6 months,then I was back into Soul,Funk and Jazz.Now,I can listen to some of it-but not too much.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just reading my last reply.I would say,the Group that has lasted for me(and this is into the 80s)was Santana.Always liked the Vibe-I bought their first Album and was hooked from then.The Stones and the Who became Stadium Groups so nothing really interesting after `70(for me),and the Faces went "Pear Shape" after Rod Stewart went up his own a*se.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your not quite correct there mate. The M-51 is both a parka and there is also a M-51 field jacket. The 51 i believe was is attributed to the Korean war. Then there is the M-65 which is Vietnam war issue. The main difference (parkawise) The M-51 has eppilettes and the hood is attatched. It also has a thicker liner which is made(I believe) of lambs wool. The M-65 has an a hood that unbuttons, no eppilettes and the liner is much thinner and is made more like terry towelling.

The field jackets have similar differences.

Ah! I stand corrected. :)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you remember the Knife game where two boys stood opposite each other and took turns in thowing the knife in the ground by the others legs. You had to stretch your foot where the knife dug in  and then it was your turn to throw..so you both ended up doing the splits.The rules were the Knife had to stick in the ground to count and you had to reach the knife from your standing position to take a throw. All done whilst wearing plimsols,cheap plastic shoes or Scholl sandels.

Yep. I used to play that with a Boy Scout knife.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cricket? Cricket?? We're talking Scotland here - we never payed cricket... even in Edinburgh!!! :satisfied:

Och away! The Scottish national team plays in Edinburgh. Cricket has been played at The Grange in Edinburgh since 1832. Perth, where I stay, used to be known as Scotland's Cricket Capital. The Fife village of Freuchie has had a cricket team since 1908 or thereabouts, and once even won the Village Cricket Championship, beating a Surrey village at Lords. Jings, Crivvens, help ma boab - cricket has even been featured in The Broons!

Shall I go on, or shall we get back on topic? :D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just reading my last reply.I would say,the Group that has lasted for me(and this is into the 80s)was Santana.Always liked the Vibe-I bought their first Album and was hooked from then.The Stones and the Who became Stadium Groups so nothing really interesting after `70(for me),and the Faces went "Pear Shape" after Rod Stewart went up his own a*se.

Me too. I remember buying Santana's first album.

Immediately post-skinhead I was a bit lost with music. I was used to the hippy stuff, having been at college. I can remember taking a young woman to an open-air concert at The Oval (Oh bloody hell, M-o-M's talking about cricket again!) featuring Mot The Hoople, The Grease Band, The Faces, and The Who.

My regular girlfriend got into Carole King, James Taylor, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Carpenters, Cat Stevens, Pete Atkin, Melanie, and stuff like that.

Now I come to think of it, I reckon I missed the being-part-of-a-youth-movement thing, and felt a bit lost.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Och away! The Scottish national team plays in Edinburgh. Cricket has been played at The Grange in Edinburgh since 1832. Perth, where I stay, used to be known as Scotland's Cricket Capital. The Fife village of Freuchie has had a cricket team since 1908 or thereabouts, and once even won the Village Cricket Championship, beating a Surrey village at Lords. Jings, Crivvens, help ma boab - cricket has even been featured in The Broons!

Shall I go on, or shall we get back on topic? :D
Only the posh kids played it - Tarquin! :nodding:

(I do remember the Fife lot, Freuchie, taking it to the English - no offence, guys :D - still don't rate the game, though.) :)

Last edited:

corker23

Reaction score

Great stuff corker23.Love the toonz and the Photo.Is that an original 60's pic or revival?We played that knife game as well.Here is another dumb question for you.The "Originals Firm" have posted the songs they liked and danced to (Sugar Sugar was a surprise.It was the biggest selling single of 1969 and one of my favorites in the Bubblegum genre) Question is what was your opinion of The Beatles at that point.Was it too hippie? Or were they beloved by everyone?Thanks
im not really qualified to answer that. As for myself I listen mostly to black music; soul, R&B, funk, reggae, ska. I've never liked the Beatles.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Reggae and the Original Skinheads, Reggae was popular with us while we was into the Skinhead fashion, people put the two together{ mostly due to media hype},so the kids who later jumped on the band wagon in 69 went out and bought reggae records, Once T Rex came along with Ride a White Swan, It really was the end of the Skinheads...by then people had enough of all the aggro that came with being a skinhead, when I say Aggro i mean harassed by the Old Bill,

With me i bought Reggae records because it was the thing to do...but by 70 at the age of 16 I really got to appreciate music....and got into Rock....and as MoM said later with Carol King..and Tapestry, we got into the Philadelphia label with the O Jays, Harrod Melvin, Three Degrees, Billy Paul, I also got into Classical music after buying The Clockwork Orange soundtrack, and so it goes on.
I am sure some Original Skinheads are still into Reggae, I go to present day Skinhead Doos and Reggae is only played, which does me Ed in after 10 mins ..but the company is great,:)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Regarding Reggae and the Original Skinheads, Reggae was popular with us while we was into the Skinhead fashion, people put the two together{ mostly due to media hype},so the kids who later jumped on the band wagon in 69 went out and bought reggae records, Once T Rex came along with Ride a White Swan, It really was the end of the Skinheads...by then people had enough of all the aggro that came with being a skinhead, when I say Aggro i mean harassed by the Old Bill,

With me i bought Reggae records because it was the thing to do...but by 70 at the age of 16 I really got to appreciate music....and got into Rock....and as MoM said later with Carol King..and Tapestry, we got into the Philadelphia label with the O Jays, Harrod Melvin, Three Degrees, Billy Paul, I also got into Classical music after buying The Clockwork Orange soundtrack, and so it goes on.
I am sure some Original Skinheads are still into Reggae, I go to present day Skinhead Doos and Reggae is only played, which does me Ed in after 10 mins ..but the company is great,:)
... me too - the MOOG version, I hope? :happy:

Synths started to become very popular and I even remember buying MOOG plays the Beatles... still like Kraftwerk, too. :nodding:

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... me too - the MOOG version, I hope? :happy:

Synths started to become very popular and I even remember buying MOOG plays the Beatles... still like Kraftwerk, too. :nodding:

Likewise Ed...through The Clockwork Orange soundtrack by Water Carlos ,I also got into Electronic music like you say Kraftwerk..and Tangerine Dream, Then Beethoven, Rossini, Then onto Wagner which is not connected to Clockwork, I then got into English Chamber music,
Unlike the Mods and later Punks, the Original Skinheads never had their own music, and seeing a Skinhead DJ was unheard off .and would have been a bit strange, :D
DJs all seemed to sound like Tony Blackbum back then,:D

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

I am sure some Original Skinheads are still into Reggae, I go to present day Skinhead Doos and Reggae is only played, which does me Ed in after 10 mins ..but the company is great,
smile.gif
I only like the reggae from 69 -71 purely because it brings back great memories. People should know that this was not the only music we listened to. I would say that Tamla was more important to us and always got people up dancing. Lasttyes right we moved on to the Philadelphia sounds including the artists he has already mentioned.

I am glad he has included Carol Kings Tapestry this was a special album with great tracks that are still good today. Clockwork orange had us glued to the cinema seats. I bought the dvd recently and it seems so tame now after all those years.

I enjoy classical and jazz now although I would struggle to tell you what piece is playing - its just enjoyable to listen to. The stuff form the day I can usually tell you what year its from, who's playing what etc. If we are in a pub / holiday quiz and an old favorite comes up as part of the question my wife has to tell me to put a sock in it as they only want to know the name of the record and not the artist inside leg measurement etc. You cant help what you take in and retain from the old days !!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads