• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics , The above one of Twelve year olds, Some of these little Skinheads was smart, well the ones who's Mum and Dads had a few bob. Their was loads of the little buggers at the time...causing mayhem...bless em,:D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair grounds, we would get up to the Hampstead Heath one...always ended up it a fight with the Blacks. Never really liked fair grounds sort of sleazy places.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Fair grounds, we would get up to the Hampstead Heath one...always ended up it a fight with the Blacks. Never really liked fair grounds sort of sleazy places.

Definitely sleazy places. We never wore our suits or royals at the fairground. Just a place to go when we were too old for the youth club and slightly too young for the pub. Having said that I started going to the pub once a week as a 13 year old, but not with a gang. Fairgrounds were places where you were guaranteed to hear Desmond Dekker, the Upsetters and others.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely sleazy places. We never wore our suits or royals at the fairground. Just a place to go when we were too old for the youth club and slightly too young for the pub. Having said that I started going to the pub once a week as a 13 year old, but not with a gang. Fairgrounds were places where you were guaranteed to hear Desmond Dekker, the Upsetters and others.

I was 15 when i started drinking...I can remember that day ..woke up with sick all over my bed..could have died..which happened to a lad down our road,
Got to say drinking took away my innocence, as we got into drinking it was pubs rather than the youth club...and the violence got serious with the drink...I was part of and saw so much violence and out right awfulness that looking back I'am sure i was traumatised for a couple of years.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I was 15 when i started drinking...I can remember that day ..woke up with sick all over my bed..could have died..which happened to a lad down our road,
Got to say drinking took away my innocence, as we got into drinking it was pubs rather than the youth club...and the violence got serious with the drink...I was part of and saw so much violence and out right awfulness that looking back I'am sure i was traumatised for a couple of years.

My best - when young (i've done much, much worse, since) :embar: was going to a party at 15 and drinking home-brew.

Sick as a dog all the away home, made it to bed and, lying there, got an attack of the 'swirling pits', room spinning and a mouthful of puke... made it to the window and barfed.

Back to bed - big snores.

Woke up in the morning to hear my mother saying: "Pigs, just pigs!!!"

Went downstairs, sheepish - but looking bright enough - and she said to me, her-under age, non-drinking(!!!) son: "Some filthy pig has come up the path in the night and been sick all over the front of the house - but I'll find out who they are..."

I never had the guts to tell her, even when a grown man, but I still have a laugh about it. :satisfied:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are horror Stories about the effects of drink-fights etc.There is also funny Stories as well.
One night,me and a Mate missed the last Bus home.We had a skinful(Saturday Night).It was pitch black..Anyway,chatting away I suddenly found that my Mate was not answering me.I could not see him anywhere.Next minute a shout went up and I looked over the edge of a Hole in the Road.My Mate had fallen down it.Luckily it was not a deep one,but we had both not noticed it!!!He was a bit muddy but apart from that...:)

Never liked Fairs,always trouble.If not with the Fairground Boys,with Greasers.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
A few more:

Posted the Chelski running one (last image) as it's bigger than the original I first saw.

(Interesting that the majority of the older lads - right-hand side - are walking, as opposed to taking it on their toes.) :satisfied:

Last edited:

Little Queenie

Reaction score

My best - when young (i've done much, much worse, since) :embar: was going to a party at 15 and drinking home-brew.

Sick as a dog all the away home, made it to bed and, lying there, got an attack of the 'swirling pits', room spinning and a mouthful of puke... made it to the window and barfed.

Back to bed - big snores.

Woke up in the morning to hear my mother saying: "Pigs, just pigs!!!"

Went downstairs, sheepish - but looking bright enough - and she said to me, her-under age, non-drinking(!!!) son: "Some filthy pig has come up the path in the night and been sick all over the front of the house - but I'll find out who they are..."

I never had the guts to tell her, even when a grown man, but I still have a laugh about it. :satisfied:

We liked that one, Ed! How did she think they'd managed to puke that high up the wall.......talk about projectile!

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
When was the Chelsea photo taken? I like it because in one shot you can see quite a variation of what was worn around 69/70. There is a little guy in the middle, possibly wearing a Harrington Jacket, that is already starting to grow his hair. You can see Sta prest , turned up Levi's. You can see Jean Jackets, Sheepskins, Rain Macs, Monkey/Flying Jackets. One bloke is wearing his suit jacket and an older boy at the back looks like he is wearing some kind of tweed. There are even a few Trilby/Pork pie hats. Only one boy is wearing a scarf. They are not smart as in 'Saturday night at the Palais' but they are in their at the football/by the seaside clothes. A few braces but not everyone and jumpers/cardigans. Nearly all are wearing button down shirts. Not wearing a uniform, and quite a variation, but all part of the tradition.

bunty

Reaction score

Great photos Ed,

I like the lad on the right in the denim jacket, bet on his way out his mum said -

'Put yer coat on or you'll catch your death........and don't go out with your hair wet or you'll catch ammonia.......'

Style over comfort. Kids still do it now I'm glad to see, in the snow last week saw 'em out without coats and girls in next-to-nothing, I don't know, tsk tsk.

Quite a bit later, I remember Droogy looking blokes like that at football. Some of them wearing make up too. Scared the crap out of me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads