1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

buttons.I am not going to apologise for my post,it was in reply to what TomMc666 had posted,and i stand by it !. I do agree with you that some of the posts on here by younger people including yourself have been very informative and have helped to make this thread excellent.I have been as honest as i can and i have only made this post as you seem to have taken my comments as an attack on you ( they werent ),unfortunately i can see where this thread is going,i hope i am wrong.

2. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

First off.buttons,no one here denies your commitment or knowledge and a smarter dressed fellow would be hard to find.Nice to see you back Little Queenie.I think we "boys" need straightening out once in a while.Without women we men would be lost and sleeping in our own filth(I mean that).Personally I NEVER want my jeans to fade or soften.The first wash is always tough as you can't get that color and heavyness back again.Washing in cold water without soap and hang to dry helps some but we shall see for how long(if I had the cash I'd buy 20 pairs and rotate to keep them Levi's looking new) browniecj comes thru with the Cone info.Is it possible this Skinhead we are talking about could be 71/72.We saw that vid of the Newcastle skins and that was 72.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I can see that a bit of mischief has been played,in this Thread.

I always like to hear from younger contributors about their experiences.I will confess I do not know too much about the second wave,only what I saw.

4. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

I think a bit of balance is required here: I'm sure no-one would say that a historian knows nothing about the period he studies because he wasn't there at the time and, as every historian knows, there is nothing more valuable than an eyewitness account! However eyewitness accounts are, by their nature, subjective and, of course, can never provide an overview of the wider circumstances.

Such a happy conjunction of both views has kept this thread going, so perhaps it would be politic to get it back on track?

Just a bit of frippery, really, but has anyone noticed how girls these days seem to dye their hair rather than leave it its natural colour? Does anyone remember girls back then dying their hair as a commonly-done thing?

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Wearing a new pair in the sea did give a level of 'fading' to new jeans.

I posted - many, many pages back - how I 'headlighted' a par of Levi's (the devil's work) and it was not uncommon in my little bit of Manchester. Definitely around 1969.

IIRC, I tied the legs into a knot and applied diluted Domestos in a bowl/bucket - or similar - and just the knees bleached.

They did, as mentioned by others, become my first proper cut-offs... simply because they became unwearable, due to the level of piss-take. :embar:

FWIW: I welcome the input of everyone that contributes to the topic. Not because I'm fence-sitting, merely because it allows every facet of the genre to be explored - and occasionally jogs the memory of those of us who have lost a few brain cells over the years. :satisfied:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

In Scouse it would be "fhhn'.

7. Man-of-Mystery

No, we questioned their being original. There's a difference.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Very clearly. Bloody dangerous when they'd gone out!

9. Man-of-Mystery

I recall a handful of blokes in S E London in 1969 who (said they) wore steel toecap DMs, BUT my recollection is that the steel was overlaid with leather so you couldn't tell just by glancing.

10. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

Not sure its mischief, someone commented on the look and those skinheads being smart but stupid in the clip. I suggested that the actions and some of the comments that are not acceptable needed to be taken in context of the times, it was 35 years ago and things have changed - along with the fact that this was a group of 15-17 year olds, no doubt just out of the pub and messing about with a foreign film crew.

Not really just a second wave, would argue that there were a number of waves from 77 onwards, some overlapping.

11. Man-of-Mystery

My memory is that girls usually stuck to their own hair colour. My g/fs did, anyway. It seemed to be the style rather than the colour that mattered.

12. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Going back to the photo of the 'bleach boy' does anyone have any info on

Who he was? (Somebody must know)
    Where was the photo taken?
    When was it taken?
    Was it for a media shot? (it looks a bit stagey to me).
    Why the no parking sign? (Was it near a football ground. Where are all the fans?Where are the cars?)
    Why no mates? (Was it the bleached jeans and boots?)
    Something just doesn't ring true about it. Not for 1969.

For me the photo raises more questions than it answers.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Changing times/attitudes, i recently showed some of the younger blokes that i work with some Dick Emery videos on youtube,they laughed but they were very surprised by the stereotyping particuarly the very gay character ( Clarence ?).That was mainstream tv viewing 35/40 years ago,an indication that a lot of things have changed IMO,a lot of things that were taken for granted then would be frowned upon now.

14. Bob the Badger

Nearly all my girlfriends (hark at me!) had natural shoulder length hair and dressed more like early mods and later more like hippies than skinhead girls. The skinhead girls tended to be more 'boyish' and were a bit on the young side for my tastes. I did like the girls who used to wear the fitted girls Brutus shirts though. The Tonik mohair suits with the short skirts also looked smart. I think one craze was for some of the girls to dye just the front edge of their hair. Black hair with a gold trim for example.When I see 60 year old grannies with dyed red hair today I cringe.

15. elwood

elwood Senior member

Agree with what you say, Little Queenie. Happy to see input from everyone and I just took the earlier posts as a warning about the unreliabilty of kids in front of a camera and the dangers of looking back with a modern mindset. (Who knows how they'll look back on commonly-held views of 2013 in another 30 years?)

Anyway, very happy to pick up on your frippery. I don't remember much hair-dyeing by girls back then. IIRC, first came along in round my way in 72/73 when there was a bit of a craze for girls dyeing their fringes or part of them; usually blonde on brunettes. I commented on seeing an example in that video Ed Vaughan linked to of a London ballroom in 71 or 72 I think.

' Course, once David Bowie became huge in 73 you couldn't move for blokes who'd dyed their hair flame-red/ orange like Aladdin Sane and jet-black dye got a similar bashing bit later due to Bryan Ferry.

16. Bob the Badger

I'm with you on the faded jeans. I always want mine to stay in a near pristine condition. Back in 1969 I loved the heavyness and smell of new Levi jeans. You don't get that today without spending a lot of money.

I'm not with you on the 'sleeping in your own filth' comment. I wash at regular intervals, with or without my missus help.

I'm also with you on buttons.His knowledge is impressive and I reckon he could have easily bluffed his way on this site to being 16 in 1969, if he wanted to.

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Don't worry buttons the comment was directed at me and some younger members, I would say they aren't giving us enough credit in understand times were different though.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Not literal Bob the Badger.You've been around the block.You should know what I'm getting at.Could have used any number of images.

19. Bob the Badger

I was only jesting. I forgot to use one of these [​IMG]

20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I can remember some dyeing their hair peroxide blonde(there was one Girl who worked in a shop,opposite me)you could see her by the lights.None of my Girlfriends had dyed hair.