• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same thing has happened in New York City.It's become too expensive for working class people to live there anymore.

I saw that many years ago-when I went to L.A.What happens in the States,happens here 10 years later.

yankmod

Reaction score
I saw that many years ago-when I went to L.A.What happens in the States,happens here 10 years later.
Problem is it makes for a homogenous culture(all one class)New York City is not NYC anymore(like in the 70's and 80's)That's why I left.Now I'm in New Mexico.They have a scooter club here but I don't have one and don't know what they are about.Haven't seen any skinheads(there may be some White Power Skins,there is alot of White supremasists in this part of the US)I'm happy to have found this site where I can read the discourse about the scene I like.You have written some interesting stuff browniecj.Tanx.

yankmod

Reaction score
welcome slack
it's true that the skin look has been appropriated into the mainstream, i see a lot of "fashionistas" wearing skinny skinhead braces, and you can get them now at places like American Apparel (!!!)
of course when you hear the originals talking about the style, in their day it WAS mainstream and normal for kids to look this way. Too bad it's only the outward appearance that has taken root today and none of the substance that I know most skinheads having grown up with (pride in traditional values etc)
I have noticed lately that Mod/Skinhead fashion is totally mainstream now.I believe it was the hipsters like me(i'm an original Hipster)Who after 81' continued to wear some items of clothing from the Mod revival 2Tone days.And some of those items became "hipster" fashion.

yankmod

Reaction score
hi, joined a year ago to read this thread..
here is my first post.. some rare and unseen tv footage from 1970!!
Crowds of youths run through the seafront gardens at Skegness. Many are dressed according to “skinhead” fashion; button-down shirts, jeans and braces; close-shaven hair and sideburns. Police attempt to control the crowds and people are pushed and pulled about roughly.
www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/152452#.TtYZQsHVJBd.facebook
The repoter states"First it was the mods and rockers,then the TROGGS & THUNDERBIRDS,now it's the skinheads and greasers" Anyone know what TROGGS and THUNDERBIRDS are?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Problem is it makes for a homogenous culture(all one class)New York City is not NYC anymore(like in the 70's and 80's)That's why I left.Now I'm in New Mexico.They have a scooter club here but I don't have one and don't know what they are about.Haven't seen any skinheads(there may be some White Power Skins,there is alot of White supremasists in this part of the US)I'm happy to have found this site where I can read the discourse about the scene I like.You have written some interesting stuff browniecj.Tanx.

Thank-you,Mate.

yankmod

Reaction score
Ahh, vintage denim - one of my favourite topics!
I've talked to many many original skinheads and jeans has often come up. So I've had various slants and opinions from various parts fo the country. I'd be interested to see what the lads on here remember, to give an added perspective.
Selvedge turnups on yer 501's - essential - a distinctive part of the jeans, along with the fading down the outside, which a selvedge seam creates when worn in (like on some of Roy's jeans above).
Nowadays, the "501" is one of the world's strongest brands so takes a different place in many people's minds, when it comes to jeans and apparel in general. Also, for the last few years, there's tons of jeans makers, producing their own take on vintage denim, so the details are often highlighted (cone mill selvedge denim, chain stitching, selvedge in watch pockets, various rivets, buttons, jerky patches, big E tags, two tone stitching, blah, blah, blah) .... and all very popular nowadays with the middle aged trendies. And on top of that, for a long time, LVC have been knocking out old style Levis and even giving out little booklets so you can inpress your friends with your pure cotton lemon-sticth arcuates.
However, back in the fast moving times of the late 60s, when you were young and didn't have 40 years of hindsight, how much did you know about what jeans you were buying?
Did you go for 501s? or did you go for the straight cut Levi's and didn't care much what number they had on the back? Did it have to be button flies, or have to be zips, or did you not really mind. And what about Wranglers or Lee Riders? Wrangler developed a new denim in the mid 60s that prevented the legs twisting (like you'll find 60s Levi's and especially Lees doing) ... but would you have cared? Wranglers had their place, in certain areas, but I'd guess in a predominantly Levi area - it was Levis or nothing (or lots of stick off yer mates).
I've got pictures of old skinheads wearing all 3 (and many cheaper makes but I'll put that down to lack of funds), but I'd be interested to hear opinions on which ones and more importantly why!
As an asside, although not "as good" or rather not quite the same as the originals, LVC are a great alternative to buying rare and very expensive originals. The quality's suffered a lot from what they were making in the USA (from the early 90s up until about 5-6 years ago), but it does mean when you want a pair of 'skinhead' jeans, they're readily available, rather than having to scour ebay for a worn out pair for 300 quid. For me, I'm a skinhead, so my interest has lead to having to be familiar with various aspects of old denim, so I know which ones are right for the look. I've a few pairs of 60s jeans, but I also wear yank LVCs as my day to day jeans - they serve a very good purpose.
I must add though that a lot of the 'traditional skinheads' nowadays have missed the point and think as long as they're geeet old and have selvedge, then they must be good skinhead wear. 50s, 40s, 30s jeans ... even cynch-backs .... oh, come on!
So, Roy's, Sugar Canes and bespoke selvedge asside (plenty of crack about that on the denim-jinkie forums), what was important and what wasn't, from an original perspective, for skinheads and those soon to be?
Buttons
Have enjoyed reading your stuff buttons.I was raised up by my grandparents.In the 70's my gramps had stock in Levi's as it was still a publicly traded company,so I never wore anything but Levi's and that continues today.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Some pics I've seen before, others I haven't.

http://boots7uk.multiply.com/photos/album/39/Black-and-White?&show_interstitial=1&u=/photos/album#

Number 240, is Manchester's Market Street, that I've described in a previous post about what we'd do, when the closed football season was on. (We made our own amusement in 1969/70.) :)

Edit: Apparently, the pic is of Leeds v Chelsea after the FA Cup Final replay at Old Trafford... could be, though I can't remember it (particularly), as we fought everyone. :D

Last edited:

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Some pics I've seen before, others I haven't.
http://boots7uk.multiply.com/photos/album/39/Black-and-White?&show_interstitial=1&u=/photos/album#
Number 240, is Manchester's Market Street, that I've described in a previous post about what we'd do, when the closed football season was on. (We made our own amusement in 1969/70.)
smile.gif
Excellent link Ed. A few shots I haven't seen before..

Last edited:

Sidney Scott

Reaction score
Just sat with my legs crossed and one boot over the knee and stared blisfully at my polished oxblood Solovairs and considered just how beautiful they are. Like a work of art really, with the bleach white laces. A pity I bought those DM's cheap after the other christmas for when my well worn black ones wear out as the Solovairs are just superior. To be fair the new black Docs are a touch better than my old ones but the Northamponshire boot is simply a modern classic. I shall retire to my bedchamber dreaming of Solovairs!

yankmod

Reaction score

yankmod

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
Not far behind you MoM, As it happens Cardigans are popular with all ages these days.
Cardigans are one of the clothing items Hipsters carried on wearing and that's why you see all ages wearing them today(as the mainstream is ****** Indie fashion these days)

yankmod

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads