• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reaction score
have one in navy. it's a quality jacket. fit is pretty much like most harringtons, imo run about a size larger. normally a 38, i got my JtG in a 36 and fits perfect. I wear same in Baracuta, so I would get whatever Baracuta size you wear.

Thanks man. How are the innersleeves of thoss JTG Harringtons? Polyster or that tartan lining like the cheap ones?

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
For those that like a few choons when browsing, might I suggest:
http://www.accuradio.com/

Obviously, i favour Traditional Reggae - currently listening to The Skatalites with 'Lucky Seven' - but there's something for everyone on the menu.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those that like a few choons when browsing, might I suggest:
http://www.accuradio.com/
Obviously, i favour Traditional Reggae - currently listening to The Skatalites with 'Lucky Seven' - but there's something for everyone on the menu.

Will give that a go,over the Weekend.I also have loads of Podcasts to listen to-covering Reggae,Soul,Jazz and Rythmn and Blues.Busy times.

yankmod

Reaction score
Not sure if this is of interest (and 'The Firm' may be aware anyway) but I'll post it because of an original mentioning the London bovver boys of the 1890's in some interview; as in his grandparents telling him skinheads were nothing new, even back then. I couldn't find anything on the net regarding the Londoners but the northern equivalent can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttlers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/cont..._feature.shtml

scuttlers_470_470x200.jpg

Yes, the fashions were very distinctive. The Scuttlers’ haircut was described as a ‘donkey fringe’: hair cropped very closely at the back and sides but with long fringes at the front that were longer on the left hand side than the right. They also wore neckerchiefs which might vary in pattern or colour and that would be used to denote membership of a particular gang: there are a few surviving photos in which the neckerchiefs look, ironically, very like modern day Burberry! The Scuttlers also wore bell-bottom trousers and, though many adults at the time wore clogs in Manchester, the Scuttlers’ clogs had a brass tip on the end. They would have made quite a clatter on the cobbles.

http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/769

The gangs had a distinctive dress code of long ‘donkey’ fringes, neckerchiefs, pointed clogs and caps tilted back on the head. The clothes and accessories immediately identified the scuttler as such, but also had their violent functions, as the scuttlers’ belts, with their large buckles, doubled up as weapons in fights. Whilst the fashions were common to all scuttler groups, place was the most distinctive influence in the shaping of scuttler identity and relationships between gangs.
This is very cool to see.Tanx for posting this.The dynamic of inner city youth is always the same.Don't matter if it's gangs in the Five Points slum of New York City mid 19 century or zoot suited chicanos in LA in the 1940's.Big Up to Alex for this.

yankmod

Reaction score
This is so interesting regarding Victorian gangs, Gangs of up to 500, This could only happen in real communities, even though they had fcuk all, they had Community, On the Council estates of the 40s50s60s you had community, Once the White working classes moved out to the suburbs and the estates was taken over by immigrants from all over the World, The White working classes was destroyed. I work in Social housing where 90% of tenants are Asylum seekers/ Refugees. the other 10% are the White and West Indian Underclass. that have been left behind. The Estates are made up of fragmented Peoples who have nothing in common not even the same language to communicate in. Here in London its like the White working classes have been exterminated. You just never see them.
Same thing has happened in New York City.It's become too expensive for working class people to live there anymore.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Will give that a go,over the Weekend.I also have loads of Podcasts to listen to-covering Reggae,Soul,Jazz and Rythmn and Blues.Busy times.
Tough at the top, big yin... imagine what it's like for me at the bottom! :happy:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
The 'scutlers' thing has been highlighted her before, mate. (Not a problem, though.)

I have a friend who has - should anyone be interested - a business in the old 'Ragged School' there, in Ancoats.

If any of our 'colonial cousins' (joke boys and girls) want to visit, I can sort that out for you.

The boss, an Indian Sikh, is Jaz, a really good mate, very trendy, very mod (bless)and is a good guy... see here, eh?

Like our London chums in the old East End - and, dare I say it: where the Skinhead movement had it's roots (spit :embar:), the area was all immigrants... that's life and we move on.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44553067

BTW - Jaz's gaffe: http://www.gjcreative.co.uk/

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
Yeah, ok mate, just had a look, point taken - He used to be a smart geezer then!
happy.gif

Agree about Pretty Green Jason, over priced too, think they've (Gallagher and Weller) lost touch with their roots.
It seems to me that Weller's latest fashion trend is Suedehead,Smoothie,Northern Soul.He went from Mod(w/the Jam)Then went backwards to the early Jazz,European Mod(w/the Style Council).And now he moved beyond Mod/Skinhead.He seems early 70's.

yankmod

Reaction score

Chapter -The Meaning of Mod - Dick Hebdige
Page 94
I understand some of it
happy.gif

Cheers MoM, it keeps me brain working!
The mainstream media knows that if they "advertise" a subculture,said subculture will become castrated,meaning the end of said subculture.It happens every time.

yankmod

Reaction score
I have spoke about this before, No never heard of Baracuta in the 60s, We wore Sky Jump Harrington's I had a conversation with John Simons years ago when i bought a Baracuta off him, I said you never sold these in the Ivy/Squire shop in the 60s, He said he did ?? But i know he did not sell them, The Baracuta has that awful ribbed cloth on the collar that the Harrington we wore did not have, if anyone wore a Baracuta in the 60s they would probably have had the piss taken outta them, just because they looked different.
In saying that i have had a few Barracuta's in the past.. and have Two at the moment.
Talking about Baracuta.In the late 70's early 80's,growing up outside Boston Ma.The style was what we called preppy(ivy league)we wore Levi's denim and chords.Chinos.Lacoste Polo's,pin striped button down shirts AND Baracutas.I always wore Clarks desert boots(unlike my peers)When I saw what the 2 Tone folks was wearing I realised much of the clothes we had was similar to 2 tone.Although I was the only kid in school who knew about 2 tone(my peers were into Journey and the like)

yankmod

Reaction score
Just found this a week ago.Started reading from page 1 and am at page 270.The posts are not dated so I don't know when certain posts have been made.My question is how is the book that M.O.M.is writing coming along?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads