• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

The Corcoran American Para Boot is a classic, Still available in the UK sold by Silvermans, think about £100.
The boots we wore 68 was above the ankle, not that high, I think even the DMs we later wore , would they have been 8 Hole ???

Don't quote me but in late 69/70, (I think) my first pair of black DMs were six-holers.

Subsequently, they got higher and, as I was a wimp, I used to get my little brother wear them in for a week or two.

Mind you, cleanliness was never high on his agenda and, often was the time I'd go to my wardrobe and put a shirt on ... only to find/smell the bugger had worn it before me, ironed it (sort of) and put it back.:censored:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

More photos -
mods002.jpg
Butlins Skegness August '67 (Levis jacket collar bleached!)
mods016.jpg
Cheshunt August '67
mods015.jpg
July '68
mods001.jpg
Butlins Filey '68
mods2009.jpg
London August '69
mods2006.jpg
Butlins Skegness August '69
mods2008.jpg
Margate July '70 Still got loads more...tell me when you're fed up of 'em.....
Brilliant stuff - God. I'm old. :nodding: (I have done no work today - oh dear.):satisfied:

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score
Me neither!
Never get bored of stuff like that - keep 'em coming Bunty!

A little surprised how short his hair still was in '70.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Originally Posted by bunty
More photos..
mods5004.jpg
Arenal July 1971 By the way, did anyone see bleach 'splattered' jeans in the 60s? (As opposed to bleached as to appear faded)

What make are the loafers? Splattered jeans were big with later mods too in my area from around 1967. You would wear a fine Smedley like top, immaculate Solatios and splattered jeans. It was too extreme for me.
To my shame, in 1969 I 'headlighted' (just the knees) a pair of Levis. (Remember some random bird asking me if I'd had an 'accident'.) :eek: Good looking loafers, mate. (Levi cords?)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
May be of (slight) interest to any Manchester people on the forum.

All 1970-71, places where 'we' would congregate to shop, drink and hang out...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

All three, above, were what was laughingly called Manchester's Carnaby street.

In reality, they were just boutiques - sold all sorts of gear from 18" parallels to kaftans ad later, to Budgie jackets, etc - that were on a street due for demolition.

Later on, the better shops - for skinheads, anyway - moved to the Underground Market/Market Centre, off Market Street.

1-1.jpg

This was the top of the Market centre. here, two main suppliers were 'Justins' and 'Stolen from Ivor'.

Justins had the better gear, Ben Sherman, Jaytex, Levis Wranglers and all sorts of good stuff. Probably not what could be described as top quality, bout certainly very acceptable to most of us.

'Stolen' was cheaper, with Brutus, cheaper 'knock-offs' and 'not quite right' gear. It was never for me, it always just looked what it was... a bit tacky. (Made a fortune for the owner mind.)

5.jpg

Stone-Dri, was (surprisingly) good for all sorts. from DMs through to parkas and later on, decent raincoats, etc.

7.jpg

Market Street, not long before it was knocked down. (See all the 'sale' signs - Timpsons, for Royals on the side shown and Saxone, for Weejuns, on the side of the photographer.

8.jpg

9-1.jpg

The entrance and facade of the Market Centre - see George Best's gaffe in the picture. (not my sort of clobber at all - too old and wayyyyyy too expensive for us guys.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Both the above boozers were used by United fans... can still remember being in the Thatched House, singing along to the Banana Splits before heading off to Old Trafford - how grown-up was I? (g)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Wasn't going to post this but bugger it, me (14) in May, '69 - not sure what I was.
ed69.jpg

And my brother, who was about 10 (1970), Jaytex, Wranglers and (usually) monkey boots.
nor.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Ed I would not know what you was either, :D Where you from mate ?.

Manchester.

I'd embraced the Mod thing - a cousin's influence, but was just meandering over to skinhead... it was a short journey. (g)

And of course, we didn't have the access to the shops you buggers had.:fonz:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manchester.
I'd embraced the Mod thing - a cousin's influence, but was just meandering over to skinhead... it was a short journey. (g)
And of course, we didn't have the access to the shops you buggers had.:fonz:

Only kidding mate , Wish i had a pic of me from 69, ;)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Only kidding mate , Wish i had a pic of me from 69, ;)

The two above, were slides I inherited when my parents passed away.

There are some scary pics in the collection, but none relevant - thankfully - to this thread. (Think Adams family!'):nodding:

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only been to Manchester twice, Chelsea v Leeds FA Cup Replay 70, and Manchester City v Chelsea Semi Final European Cup Winners Cup 71.
The Stretford End 70 full of Chelsea, What a night that was, :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads