Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bantam

Bantam Member

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

WTF???:D

3. Akatorii

Akatorii New Member

Hello all,

This is my first SF post. . . I made an account after reading the first 50 or so pages of this thread, (and skimming through a bunch of the rest,) and wanted to just say thanks to MoM, GetSmart, and all the other nice, knowledgeable people who contributed time, photos, advice, etc. You all helped me to settle on this forum as a good place to lurk around and continue improving my dressing skills.

I grew up on Cape Cod, MA and have been living in the Boston area for the last few years. Despite the Kennedys and all the golf courses and beach houses, the area where I grew up had a lot of poor and working class families, mine included-- someone has to mow all those wealthy peoples' lawns and build their mansions and carry their golf clubs and fix their cars and sailboats. As a teenager I was caught between the punk rock kids I wanted to hang out with and my ingrained desire to wear preppier looking clothes and not smell horrible. I met some older Oi!-type skinheads and began hanging out with them and emulating their style of dress and listening to their music. Through that I got turned on to reggae, old R&B, and soul. Although my "skinhead" phase lasted only a few years, I've always incorporated some elements of the style into my wardrobe. Especially the clean, sharp-looking 1st wave look. Around the age of 24 I looked back on what some might generously refer to as my "misspent youth" and realized I had better do something and fast. I enrolled in Community College.

I've just recently graduated from a state university at the age of 29, and during my last year, seeing 30 rapidly approaching, I decided I had better start dressing more like a grown man. Though achieving that is still a work in progress I must say my first instinct was to just get some sta-prest slacks, a few Ben Sherman and Fred Perry shirts, a decent slim fitting suit and some ties, and call it a day.

The wonderful pics that have been posted in this thread are a much appreciated source of inspiration, so thanks for crawling through your garages, attics, hard drives or whatever to find them, and for taking the time to post them here.

As you Brits say,

Cheers.

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hi Akatorii welcome to the Site.Glad you enjoyed some of the old B*st*rds`Ramblings(I talk of myself):)

5. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

What's everyone's opinion on blacking out the gaudy yellow stitching on Dr Martens? I've done it on my black Docs, and I'm considering it on my
    cherry Solovair boots since I'm about to start wearing them to work.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

If you want,tone it down a bit.Back in the `60s I never cleaned my DMs-so they faded naturally.

7. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

8. ian-b

ian-b Member

Wow, I hadn't looked at this thread for ages and have just spent a couple of days reading about 30 pages.
    Something I have found in-between times was this thread on WKFASC forum, hope you find it useful, some good photos.
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/WKFA_SC/index.php?showtopic=10180
    Keep posting, Ian.

9. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

I don't know...... scruffy Southerners........

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Back in the 60s... Boots was for knocking about. I would put polish on em, but would not dream of spending time bulling them up, My Royals was a different matter and would spend hours polishing them,
    Many a fight would break out cause someone had stood on your brogues by accident at a disco, :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  12. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

got the Brooks Bros "staprest" (aka milano fit chino) yesterday. Did the 2 for $149 deal in dark taupe and stone. Colors are great, stone is exactly what you'd think it is, an off white slate color. The dark taupe is like a desaturated greyish brown, really nice and almost same color as my Manufacture staprest I got in paris which are nearing their end so good to have a replacement. These are def not "chinos" in the traditional sense even tho they are called that. Classic chinos never hold their crease and crinkle easily with a relaxed fit. Fit is really good, esp for Brooks which is known for loose clothes. A true slimfit, waist measures 1" larger than tag for sizing reference. 8" across bottom so slim but not too narrow. Fit thru hip and thigh is good, no bagginess. Cloth is a heavy cotton and all reviews I've read is that it really keeps its crease even after multiple wash. Overall very happy with them and will look smart with brogues/smooths and the right shirt.
    Picked these up last week, really like the fit, it's slim without being "skinny." I'm pleasantly surprised that Brooks Brothers would put out something in this cut. Thanks for the tip

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes Roy,and if someone accidently knocked your Hand and spilt your Beer(especially with a Whistle on)-retribution was always there! :)

14. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Don't do it. Just let dirt and polish fade them naturally. It doesn't take long.

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

You're welcome
    James
    (Spirit of 69 - thread creator)